Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2015, 01:31 AM   #1246
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
Well for 100bucks and less you can re live the dream

I've got the option of picking up an ex++ K10D for 99 from the local camera shop today to use as a second body. Which way do I go?

Two K10D bodies to cut down on the number of times I need to change lenses?

Or save up for a couple more months for a K-S2 so that I can use higher ISO when needed? Bearing in mind that I'd probably still use my K10D clone at ISO 100.

I always shoot fully manual lenses in full manual mode, so fancy new electronic fripperies don't interest me. The thought of getting a K-S2 is purely to allow higher ISO settings. I wouldn't consider any CMOS camera earlier than the K-S1 or K-S2, because to my eyes they are the first CMOS cameras to come close to matching the K10D's colour rendering.

05-23-2015, 01:52 AM   #1247

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A tough one. I'd go KS2, K10 repairs are uneconomic and the KS2 could keep shooting for years to come. Any K10 is a liability now if we are honest. You will save loads of money with another 10 though.
05-23-2015, 02:49 AM   #1248
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Nice ones, Rondec - love the owl. Didn't know you owned a K10!

The Sig 17-70 has been glued to my K10D for a couple months now - a couple shots:

I don't own one any more, but I used one for two plus years. Just thought I would add a couple of older images...
05-23-2015, 04:29 AM   #1249
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I've got the option of picking up an ex++ K10D for 99 from the local camera shop today to use as a second body. Which way do I go?

Two K10D bodies to cut down on the number of times I need to change lenses?

Or save up for a couple more months for a K-S2 so that I can use higher ISO when needed? Bearing in mind that I'd probably still use my K10D clone at ISO 100.

I always shoot fully manual lenses in full manual mode, so fancy new electronic fripperies don't interest me. The thought of getting a K-S2 is purely to allow higher ISO settings. I wouldn't consider any CMOS camera earlier than the K-S1 or K-S2, because to my eyes they are the first CMOS cameras to come close to matching the K10D's colour rendering.
I bought a k-x 6 years ago for exactly the same reason (high ISO) and never regretted it.

However, buying a ks2 and never using the Wifi or flip-screen sounds like an non optimal choice.
You could buy a k5/k30 or other recent camera second hand or old stock. Maybe even a k-r (but note that this one has a mirror instead of a prism). You mention the color differences for older CMOS cameras, but I think this is mainly caused/solvable by camera jpeg settings or raw development.

If you plan to use the flip-screen for low by the ground macro then the ks2 would indeed be my choice

Last edited by tomtor; 05-23-2015 at 04:57 AM. Reason: Added mirror/color remark
05-23-2015, 09:57 AM   #1250
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RussV Quote
I'd go KS2, K10 repairs are uneconomic and the KS2 could keep shooting for years to come.
Good point. I'd expect the KS-2 to see me through a few years until I can afford a second-hand full frame (the Pentax one obviously -- should be down to my price range in four or five years).

QuoteOriginally posted by tomtor Quote
If you plan to use the flip-screen for low by the ground macro then the ks2 would indeed be my choice
I'd forgotten about the flip-screen. You're right: the K-S2 wins because of higher ISO and the flip-screen. It'll save me getting down flat on my stomach in the Dartmoor mud!

Thanks for the superb advice guys. I'll save up another month or two and keep an eye out for K-S2 deals.
05-23-2015, 11:40 PM - 1 Like   #1251
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good point. I'd expect the KS-2 to see me through a few years until I can afford a second-hand full frame (the Pentax one obviously -- should be down to my price range in four or five years).

I'd forgotten about the flip-screen. You're right: the K-S2 wins because of higher ISO and the flip-screen. It'll save me getting down flat on my stomach in the Dartmoor mud!

Thanks for the superb advice guys. I'll save up another month or two and keep an eye out for K-S2 deals.
I think that is a good decision, Dave. Not that I don't love my K10D but new technology, better ISO and the flip-out screen (this is something I would have loved to have on my K-3) make it a no-brainer IMHO.

---------- Post added 05-24-2015 at 04:46 PM ----------

I am starting on a journey to get better at macro. Here are my first two steps. Feel free to offer advice. K10D + Tamron SP AF f2.8 Macro.

05-27-2015, 02:16 PM   #1252

Out of Left Field OK!!!

Still Love the K10D yet Process with very Much Saturation and then into Painting styles.

This is one I took today @ Matevic Road & the Elk River in Sparwood

If there are any Feathers Ruffled I Do Apologize.

Cheers for years
Colin
05-27-2015, 06:48 PM   #1253
Loyal Site Supporter

The tools are there for everyone to use Colin.

Don't apologize for using them.

05-27-2015, 08:05 PM - 1 Like   #1254
Pentaxian

Also speaking of K10 Love.

I saw a K5 covered in tape and was like... Pff a K10 can wear tape

With all the shiny bits covered it nearly looks like a PZ-10 :P

Totally related :P

I mean this is clearly the FF prototype.

Last edited by tromboads; 05-28-2015 at 01:52 AM.
05-27-2015, 08:11 PM - 1 Like   #1255
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
The tools are there for everyone to use Colin.

Don't apologize for using them.
What he said ^^

Indian Paintbrush that grows wild here in the Spring:
05-27-2015, 08:31 PM   #1256
Pentaxian

I strangely enough wish to eat that.
05-27-2015, 09:16 PM   #1257
Loyal Site Supporter

I strangely enough wish to eat that.
You wouldn't be the first (from the Wiki):

"The flowers of Indian paintbrush are edible, and were consumed in moderation by various Native American tribes as a condiment with other fresh greens. These plants have a tendency to absorb and concentrate selenium in their tissues from the soils in which they grow, and can be potentially very toxic if the roots or green parts of the plant are consumed. Highly alkaline soils increase the selenium levels in the plants. Indian paintbrush has similar health benefits to consuming garlic if only the flowers are eaten in small amounts and in moderation."[3]
05-27-2015, 09:45 PM   #1258
Pentaxian

:P notes for when and If I can travel over your lands.
05-28-2015, 02:32 AM   #1259
Pentaxian

I saw a K5 covered in tape and was like... Pff a K10 can wear tape

I love the look of a camera with all the shiny stuff blacked out, especially when it's got a Takumar bolted on the front.

I've actually painted over the Samsung logo on my K10D clone GX-10. If you think Pentax users don't get any respect, you should try using a Samsung for a while. I got so sick of Canikons trying to lecture me about the basics of photography that I started making wide detours to avoid anyone else with a camera approaching over the horizon. All part of the process of becoming the mad-eyed Dartmoor loner that I am today (my avatar is an actual photo of me).

Meanwhile, my plan to get a K-S2 in a couple of months has bitten the dust because of a major car breakdown. It's a good job I love my K10D clone so much, because it's going to be a long, long time before I can afford to spend any money on photography again.
05-28-2015, 04:56 AM   #1260

Meanwhile, my plan to get a K-S2 in a couple of months has bitten the dust because of a major car breakdown. It's a good job I love my K10D clone so much, because it's going to be a long, long time before I can afford to spend any money on photography again.

Such is life, just take good care of the 10.

The canikon comment made me smile. Equipment boors often seem to be lacking when it actually comes to taking pictures (K10 owners excluded of course! )