Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2015, 04:22 PM   #1276
Pentaxian
tromboads's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Melbs
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,148
oh your right! Whoops

Well Boo too it none the less :P

(but nice photos)

05-31-2015, 07:22 PM   #1277
Pentaxian
paulh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: DFW Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,850
Taken a couple weeks ago, when we started becoming concerned about all the rain we'd been getting. Today, everything in this photo is submerged. Sigma 17-70
05-31-2015, 07:32 PM   #1278
Loyal Site Supporter
rayallen's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Forresters Beach, Central Coast, NSW, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,685
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Taken a couple weeks ago, when we started becoming concerned about all the rain we'd been getting. Today, everything in this photo is submerged. Sigma 17-70
Oh dear! Yes, I keep hearing reports on the news about how much rain you guys are getting. Stay safe and dry, Paul.
05-31-2015, 09:39 PM   #1279
Senior Member
Mothballs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 259
As my K-50 is in for repairs (Warranty covered) My friend lent me one of his K10Ds.

I've taken exactly 2,200 shots with the K-50; The K10D consistently has given me better results, and I've been using it for all of a day. In not sure if it's the AA filter on the 50, or the resolution seeing I'm running old Manual lenses, but the images from the K10D just have this magic to them...

06-01-2015, 01:23 AM   #1280
Site Supporter
Dartmoor Dave's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dartmoor, UK
Photos: Albums
Posts: 971
It's the magic of the 10 megapixel CCD sensor. People say we're all imagining it, they say you can get the same results from post-processing CMOS shots, and they try to laugh at us for our clunky ten year old cameras. But we know they're wrong.

It's great to hear that you're enjoying your time with the K10D. The good news is that you can get one to keep forever for a give-away price these days.
06-01-2015, 03:06 AM - 2 Likes   #1281
Loyal Site Supporter
rayallen's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Forresters Beach, Central Coast, NSW, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,685
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
It's the magic of the 10 megapixel CCD sensor. People say we're all imagining it, they say you can get the same results from post-processing CMOS shots, and they try to laugh at us for our clunky ten year old cameras. But we know they're wrong.

It's great to hear that you're enjoying your time with the K10D. The good news is that you can get one to keep forever for a give-away price these days.
I just love reading how passionate you are when it comes to our beloved K10Ds. Of course, I agree with you 100% but I could not express it the way you do, Dave. The CCD sensor really does produce the goods and you appreciate it even more when you also own a CMOS camera.
06-01-2015, 06:43 AM   #1282
Senior Member
Mothballs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 259
QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
I just love reading how passionate you are when it comes to our beloved K10Ds. Of course, I agree with you 100% but I could not express it the way you do, Dave. The CCD sensor really does produce the goods and you appreciate it even more when you also own a CMOS camera.
I'm thinking it's partly the larger photo sites on the sensor: theoretically, larger pixels should mean more light gathered by each for any given exposure. The actual EV rating of the sensor is lower on paper though: makes me wonder if it's the camera attempting to compensate contrast...

I'm also in love with having stop down metering again. The most infuriating thing about that K-50...
06-01-2015, 07:08 PM   #1283
Pentaxian
tromboads's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Melbs
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,148
Wait. what? You cant stop down meter on the K50?


Last edited by tromboads; 06-01-2015 at 07:14 PM.
06-02-2015, 07:52 AM   #1284
Senior Member
Mothballs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 259
QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
Wait. what? You cant stop down meter on the K50?
Not at all. Just TV shift.

Mid level dslrs don't get the dof preview/metering switch. The only way to get metering is to use A lenses.
06-02-2015, 06:26 PM   #1285
Pentaxian
tromboads's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Melbs
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,148
So I must be missing something? Can't you meter with the green button on the K50?

Perhaps I'm not sure what you mean by stop down metering. For me that is, focusing, closing the aperture down (old taks etc etc), hitting the green button, firing.
06-02-2015, 08:20 PM   #1286
Senior Member
Mothballs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 259
QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
So I must be missing something? Can't you meter with the green button on the K50?

Perhaps I'm not sure what you mean by stop down metering. For me that is, focusing, closing the aperture down (old taks etc etc), hitting the green button, firing.
Okay, on the K10D, there's that cool little Aperture emblem on the On/off switch. You push the switch past ON to it, and it meters like the old Spotmatic did; Closes down the linkage and turns on the meter. You get a visual of how far under or over exposed the image will turn out, and gives you a DOF preview to boot. THIS is Metering.


Hitting the green button on the K-50 is flipping the mirror up to TV Shift, which auto adjusts your shutter speed based on the light coming through the lens; It basically a slow, clunky version of the AV setting on the Camera, which means that you have to keep fiddling with the aperture ring and hitting the Green Button to fine tune. It also means that You have no idea where the camera has tuned itself, if its over or under exposing a little, things like that; Things that while, say, taking pictures of birds, will completely mess up the shot, leaving you to try and blindly guess at how to adjust in a very limited timespan.
06-02-2015, 09:57 PM   #1287
Pentaxian
paulh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: DFW Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,850
You can set the green button to the "program line" setting, instead of Tv shift if you want. Basically the green button and pushing the power switch past "on" accomplish the same thing (stop-down metering). The only difference is with the power switch method, you also get a DOF preview. The K50 stopdown metering should be much more accurate than on the K10D & K20D, which are known to have metering inconsistencies due to its focusing screen.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/110658-u...x-dslrs-f.html
06-03-2015, 04:27 AM   #1288
Pentaxian
tromboads's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Melbs
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,148
Ah mothballs I see

Yes because I use Taks so often I hardly ever go to the aperture button on the switch but instead just take a meter reading with the green button. DOF preview isn't important to me as my lens is always stopped down before I fire regardless lol.

And as for where what has it metered to? Well it metered to the spot that I pointed it at And from there I need not push it again but adjust my shutter to give the detail I wish.

It sounds like the K50 works like that, so that makes me happy :P well I thought it did, you had me scared for a while there.
06-03-2015, 05:02 AM   #1289
Senior Member
Mothballs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 259
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
You can set the green button to the "program line" setting, instead of Tv shift if you want. Basically the green button and pushing the power switch past "on" accomplish the same thing (stop-down metering). The only difference is with the power switch method, you also get a DOF preview. The K50 stopdown metering should be much more accurate than on the K10D & K20D, which are known to have metering inconsistencies due to its focusing screen.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/110658-u...x-dslrs-f.html
I still vastly prefer having a meter to visually confirm the amount of light getting into the camera, is the major thing. The k-50 feels like you're shooting blind when it comes to that (also, no program line setting) and actually was giving inconsistent exposures... which might be because the mirror control was dying right out of the box. We'll see.

Even being an old Pro level camera, the K10D shows a lot of good things that set it apart and make its handling better than the consumer grade K-50...

I'm probably going to end up with one permanently at some point...
06-03-2015, 05:30 AM   #1290
Pentaxian
tromboads's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Melbs
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,148
Yeah I mean, what ever tool works really

---------- Post added 06-03-15 at 10:43 PM ----------

Time for more K10 Love

Click
Here I was interested in the placement of the various folk around the frame. It seemed to fit nicely and Click it went. I enjoy the different stories an interactions going on here I suspect.

Click 2
Don't zoom in here to much :P Here I like the grungy nature of the image with the focus being pulled back into the ally toward the open car. The interest for me however is the out of focus ppl moving out of the frame on left.


Oh exif would have said, M 50mm f2 @ f2 Because I know we all like that stuff :P

Last edited by tromboads; 06-03-2015 at 05:46 AM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
allen, bird, camera, cameras, clicks, comparison, da, dslr, ff, flickr, images, k10d, k5, k5iis, leica, lens, nikon, pentax, photography, pictures, post, price, prix, ray, skin tones, time, version
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I started a K-5 Praise thread, now the Complaint thread imtheguy Pentax K-5 46 11-01-2010 09:20 AM
Suggestion Add Previous/Next Thread links at the top of each thread indytax Site Suggestions and Help 3 03-17-2009 05:40 PM
Iceemn360's K10d Photo Thread Timtast1c Post Your Photos! 50 01-10-2009 02:43 PM
Mandatory thread from new K10D owner :) Edvinas Pentax DSLR Discussion 9 12-08-2006 07:34 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:47 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top