Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2015, 01:05 AM - 1 Like   #1381

k10d + Tak 85mm. My 85mm is one of the oldest Taks I've seen and it has the aperture ring at the front, and minimal coatings, but it can certainly produce some magic on my k10d. Its good on later bodies, but that CCD sensor is magical.

07-25-2015, 01:05 AM   #1382
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
@tromboads....
I feel I need to confess something...
I went and bought a k5.
On the plus side you have cut by 1/3rd the number of characters you need to type to contribute to a camera specific thread...
07-25-2015, 02:27 AM   #1383
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
:P Lets see if this K5 makes it to ten years old like the K10...

I'm jealous of your 85mm Tak.
07-25-2015, 03:09 AM   #1384
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jamess Quote
k10d + Tak 85mm. My 85mm is one of the oldest Taks I've seen and it has the aperture ring at the front, and minimal coatings, but it can certainly produce some magic on my k10d. Its good on later bodies, but that CCD sensor is magical.

That's a lovely shot that shows exactly why K10D + Takumar = the closest you can get to slide film with a DSLR.

---------- Post added 07-25-15 at 11:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
I went and bought a k5.

I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts about the K5 and how it compares with the K10D, and it's always fascinating to see some comparison shots. Much as I love the 10MP CCD, I have to confess that I sometimes long for higher ISO and a bit more dynamic range.

07-25-2015, 07:43 AM   #1385
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've been lurking more than posting of late, but this thread has drawn me out. (Can't remember if I've posted in this thread before or not). Had the K10D out in my fair city yesterday. Still using this body regularly to augment my K5 and in good light, it still holds its own.

Pentax K10D, Sigma 20mm, f1.8

07-25-2015, 08:03 AM   #1386
Loyal Site Supporter

Good to see all the new K10 photos here - nice work!
K5? Blasphemy! Seriously, whenever I decide to upgrade, it will probably be one of the "sweet 16" camera bodies & probably a K5.

This is the same scene as shown in my previous post, taken at a wider angle. The original shot isolated the light pole and nearby clouds - this image puts everything into perspective. K10D + DA18-55
07-25-2015, 08:21 PM   #1387
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts about the K5 and how it compares with the K10D, and it's always fascinating to see some comparison shots. Much as I love the 10MP CCD, I have to confess that I sometimes long for higher ISO and a bit more dynamic range.
Yes It will be interesting. I mean heck.. I've been using the K10 for 5years.. any change is going to be met with initial resistance :P Like already;
-The green button is in the wrong position! You kinda end up picking your nose looking for it.
-The dedicated ISO button is not as useful as previously just holding the OK button and swinging the wheel, If you use your index finger to hit the shutter, its actually a little bit of a stretch to reach over to the ISO button. The ISO and exposure comp button should be swapped around :P then it would be ok.
-The grip has a steeper curve compared (deeper) to the K10 so you kinda end up having more of your hand on it.. More secure but it means moving your fingers over the buttons is now a bit cramped because you can't move your hand back off the grip a little bit in order to reach? The K5 kinda feels like you have 1 grip position whilst the K10 is a little bit more flexible, with my hands at least.
-Data cable door is now a soft plastic thing as opposed to the hard plastic door of the K10. It's slightly fiddly. I'll probably end up using a mem card reader now as against to just directly hooking the cable up.. Ho Hum. .
-Viewfinder feels the same,
-Lockable mode switch.. Meh
-I prefer the position of the 4 buttons along the side as to the play and delete button up and recessed around the top. Again just more hand gymnastics to reach it
-Thankfully quick menu buttons are the same,
-Miss being able to turn SR off from the back. (now in a menu somewhere)
-TOP LCD light comes on when it's metering. This is annoying. on the K10 I would just turn it on with the exposure comp button when it got dark. Now it's on all the time when metering. No big deal but why Hoya Hoya!
-The shutter was a pleasant surprise, It's f'ning quiet next to the K10!

So yes. you know totally important stuff right there

Now as for ISO, well ISO 128k is what 3 stops above what the K10 does. so lets think about this. At night I often walk around with; ISO1600, s=1/15 f3.5 so now I've got ISO12.8k, s=120 f3.5 I can probably actually take photos of people walking around the place now. Will see if this is fun or not.

More boring details to come! :P

Oh, unexpected cool things!

In bulb mode, you can set for using IR remote to open shutter on press, and then close shutter on the second press. No more nead for cable remote with "locking on" function. Happy Happy! :P

Last edited by tromboads; 07-25-2015 at 08:42 PM.
07-26-2015, 12:33 AM   #1388
Pentaxian

Thanks Daniel. That's exactly the sort of info I was hoping for. For me the two main limitations of the K10D sensor are ISO and dynamic range, and it looks like you're already finding the K5's higher ISO useful. What do you think of the dynamic range?

07-26-2015, 12:55 AM - 1 Like   #1389

This image was taken with the 24mm Tak that lives on my k10d. The lens will probably be soft around the edges on a FF body but on the K10d its great. Small, fast enough and great IQ.

07-26-2015, 01:42 AM   #1390
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Thanks Daniel. That's exactly the sort of info I was hoping for. For me the two main limitations of the K10D sensor are ISO and dynamic range, and it looks like you're already finding the K5's higher ISO useful. What do you think of the dynamic range?
Well... some crappy interior shots at ISO1600 might give you a bit of an idea.

Click

All jpegs, all neutral processing (ie. sharpness brightness all set to 0) and the same Pentax M 50mm f2 (shot at f2) on them both.

So... yes shadows cleaner, more details in shadows yes, will it make a difference once printed at anything under 12x8.. Probably not. Do you want to crop in and recompose, then yes a K5 will help. Does the K10 currently have more dynamic range then most films? Yes it does.

The real advantage here is that the K5 will give you another 3 stops above where that K10 maxes out. "shrugs" Is that going to drastically change how I take photos? Probably not, but it will be handy at times! I'm thinking now sitting in the bushes on an overcast day I'll be able to select iso3200 and a faster shutter to get those little sparrows flying around the place. :P
07-26-2015, 02:19 AM   #1391
Pentaxian

Thanks for the sample shots. I'm seeing pretty much what I expected to see: much lower noise and a touch more dynamic range with the K5, but a rather pastel colour rendering compared to the richness of the K10D.

Like you say: it's probably not going to drastically change how you take photos, but there will be times when the clean high ISO will make a difference.
07-26-2015, 06:14 AM   #1392
Pentaxian

Yes the K10 jpeg engine still looks to have "sharper" edges, perhaps by default it just has a bit more contrast than the K5? Suppose once you process raw files there wont be much in it again.

Ergonomically, I still prefer the K10 :P
07-26-2015, 09:34 AM   #1393
Site Supporter

My pet peeve with the K5 is the stretch to the back AF button. It's comfortable on the K10D and K20D and a pain on the K5. When Ricoh did the K3 they moved it back.

The apparent sharpness of the K10D image is more a characteristic of the CCD vs CMOS sensor. The actual sharpness is greater on the K5.
07-27-2015, 06:16 PM   #1394
Pentaxian

Well I've just become a lurker of these parts.

I put the K10 on ebay last night and 4mins later it was sold..

what have I done.

For you reference, $170AU with 3 batteries, a Grip, snd a cannon S-type screen was too cheap.

#face palm.

Ah well, share the love and all that :P
07-27-2015, 08:12 PM   #1395
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
I put the K10 on ebay last night and 4mins later it was sold..
Nooooo!

The mutts at the lake again. 18-55 kit lens: