Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2015, 03:20 PM   #1411
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Exactly why I still have my *istD, and won't sell it. (Also because it's not worth much on the used market .)
Yes, I feel the same way about my K10D. It was my first DSLR. In fact it was my first K-mount. Up until I got my K10D I had screw mount Spotmatics that were still working just fine.
And now, even though I also have a K-3, I have no desire to sell my K10D. I still use and love it. And it is worth more to me than anyone would be prepared to pay for it.

08-02-2015, 03:38 PM - 1 Like   #1412
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Can't wait for the cooler Fall temps - taken a couple years ago with the kit lens:

Okay Paul, I'm officially jealous that you want your weather to be cooler. We're having an entirely wretched non-summer here with week after week of rain and unseasonal coolness. Here's one from a couple of hours ago this evening with yet another weather front bringing more cold and rain. Barn Hill in the foreground and Middle Staple Tor in the background. It's now 11.38pm and the rain is already coming down hard.

08-02-2015, 03:49 PM   #1413
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
yet another weather front bringing more cold and rain
We could use a shot of that right about now! Temps here are going to be 100F and up until further notice. Maybe some relief by mid-September? Pretty scene, btw.
A random overheated doggie shot with the K10D and an old Sigma 28-70 zoom. This is our Yorkie-poo Tino:
08-02-2015, 04:00 PM   #1414
Pentaxian

Poor Tino in that heat. You're right: 100+ is too hot. Since we're stuck in the 50s here, it would be nice if we could split the difference and have a pleasant 75 degrees for both Dartmoor and Texas.

08-02-2015, 05:40 PM - 1 Like   #1415
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
No, no, no Dave...that way leads only to a McDonalds-style homogenity...

Instead pop down to your local Poly and sign up for some advanced white-water rafting classes....it appears you have the perfect conditions for it !!

Paul, meanwhile, can check out some books on cloud-seeding from the local library....

Addendum...Being new to my K10d I am playing catch-up for it's attributes, operation, and modifications....

I've owned a K200d for several years so I jumped at the opportunity to acquire the K10d for experimentation and "modifications".

It has been bought to provide a dedicated studio recorder of my weekly output. (I am a contemporary Metalsmith.) So I set about configuring it as a stay-in-place-almost-macro (often jewellery) capture device.

Firstly it had to be tethered...to my preferred o/s, Linux...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/groups/197-pentax-linux/4107-k10d-tetheri...#gmessage55679

Next, as I will mostly use it with manual lenses..(Nikkor enlarger 50mm/f4...8-element Pentax M 50/1.4...m100/f4 Macro, tubes, bellows, etc) I needed a better focus option.

Having some redundant Pentax film SLRs (MG, MX with 2 screens, 2x Me-Supers) I thought to rob one of it's split-prism focus screen and modify it to fit the K10d.
The spare ME-super wound-up being the donor.

I measured the K10d screen with calipers (25x17mm) and made a paper template with a punched hole at it's centre. I laid the Me-Super screen on some printer paper then lined up the template using the punched centre-hole over the split prism.
Once everything was in place it was taped down with ordinary sellotape.
Note...unlike other tutorials this method only has tape on the portions that will be cut away ! and paper elsewhere.

Using a Jewellers Piercing saw the sandwich of tape, paper, and screen was cut around and the edges cleaned and smoothed.

Unfortunately my paper turned out to be some recycled sheets from the ink-jet printer and several smears of black ink were left on the otherwise pristine screen.....not to worry as I had several other back-up screens so why not push this one a little more..??.

With a tissue and a dollop of hand sanitiser(mostly alchohol ..) I gave it a gentle clean and rinsed with warm water, then gently dried with a Rocket Blower. All clean and new again !

Now installed and a most worthwhile modification ! I can put the original screen back at any time but the benefits of this new screen mean I won't.

Exposure is challenging as each lens and each aperture setting need a different compensation but I am slowly building a database...luckily the settings are consistent..
As I am shooting in a studio setting with constant light this is all much more do-able. Though a little time consuming to begin with...

Many thanks to all you K10d contributors whose knowledge and previous experiments have helped make this a workable project !!

Last edited by bobD; 08-05-2015 at 01:01 AM.
08-11-2015, 12:07 PM   #1416
Pentaxian

Some people take cat photos when they want to practise. I take pony photos. It's the same basic urge to just take a photo of something. . . whatever darn thing is handy. And the K10D club could do with a bump.

08-11-2015, 01:14 PM   #1417
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's a very nice shot. Are those ruins very old?

08-11-2015, 01:36 PM   #1418
Pentaxian

Thanks Russ. Believe it or not, as recently as the 1930s that was the manager's house at Foggintor Quarry. There are still people alive in the area who lived at Foggintor as children back in the days when there were cottages and even a school there, but now it's just ruins. It doesn't take long for Dartmoor to reduce any abandoned buildings to rubble.
08-11-2015, 06:15 PM   #1419
Veteran Member

I can't get enough of those horses :P
08-12-2015, 06:56 AM - 1 Like   #1420
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
I can't get enough of those horses :P
Do those horses belong to anyone, or are they just roaming free? Seems like a fascinating place.

K10D with the A50/1.7
08-12-2015, 07:31 AM   #1421
Pentaxian

Beautiful composition in that shot Paul. I love the way you've used the repeated shapes of the lamps and balanced them against the curves of the arches.

As for the Dartmoor ponies: they all have owners, but they are left to live out their lives as if they were wild. Dartmoor is common land dating back to medieval times, so anyone can use the moorland to graze ponies, sheep, cows. . . you name it. There's even an alpaca farm near me.
08-12-2015, 02:49 PM   #1422
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K10D with the A50/1.7
That is a superb image, Paul. I like the repeating elements, the tone, the lighting, the K10D rendering - I just like it all. It is the sort of image I like to take.

---------- Post added 08-13-2015 at 07:51 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Beautiful composition in that shot Paul. I love the way you've used the repeated shapes of the lamps and balanced them against the curves of the arches.

As for the Dartmoor ponies: they all have owners, but they are left to live out their lives as if they were wild. Dartmoor is common land dating back to medieval times, so anyone can use the moorland to graze ponies, sheep, cows. . . you name it. There's even an alpaca farm near me.
That is a lovely image of those ponies. And thanks, Dave, for the additional information about Dartmoor. Very interesting.
08-13-2015, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #1423

Had my K10 for about 3 months now and love it.

Free Range Ponies. nice shot. Paul, your pup looks hot, it must love the lake when you go.
I've had my K10 now for about three months and I love the richness of the camera. My wife and I are birders, and I originally got it for attaching to my Pentex PF-80ED; it's great glass, but it is very slow and shallow DOF when attached to the scope. Not so good for fast moving birds. So, I've been mostly using camera with the kit lens and having a great time. Dave mentioned the weather so I thought I would post a shot of a Lake Erie thunderstorm/sunset that ended up with a lighting strike in the right corner(got lucky). The picture of the Wren is through the scope Cropped!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Last edited by dti88; 08-13-2015 at 10:53 AM.
08-13-2015, 02:17 PM   #1424
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dti88 Quote
Had my K10 for about 3 months now and love it.

That's an epic shot of the approaching storm. It must look amazing full size. I like the bird shot too -- it's a type of photography I've never tried (I always struggle with any lens longer than about 50mm).

EDIT: I've just looked up the PF-80ED and apparently it's over 500mm focal length, so now I'm VERY impressed by the bird shot. How are you focusing that beast of a lens -- using the focus confirmation light, or have you got a split screen installed?

Last edited by Dartmoor Dave; 08-13-2015 at 02:36 PM.
08-14-2015, 07:35 AM   #1425

Thanks Dave
I think you can check out the full size by clicking here: https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0WGtnIORsY3kmk Let me know if it doesn't work.
I'm using the pentax PF-CA35 camera adapter. It's all manual from a camera perspective/use the scope to focus. focus confirmation light works, but I don't use it, really. the depth of field is very shallow. even on subjects that are far away. It makes for a slow speed tele, f12 or something like that. I have some more experiments to run. I'm going to try getting a 43mm pancake limited and try customizing it to fit over the original eye piece. that way I can shot the camera at f1.9 100 iso. instead of 800iso. we'll see. I don't have a split screen, but I'm looking into that also. Can't afford it all at one time. I do love the K10. the colors are fantastic! https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0WG6XBubsxWvbQ and I'm having some fun. It takes a minute for the full versions to load.