Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12503 Likes Search this Thread
11-16-2013, 11:32 AM - 10 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The K10D Club!

Hello All,
This thread is dedicated to a very important part of the Pentax DSLR history; The venerable K10D.
The 'Ten' is significant in many ways; Introduced in late 2006, it featured a CCD sensor of 10.2MP, ISO range of 100-1600 and had AF assist with SDM lenses. It was the first Pentax DSLR with shake reduction, dust removal, had 2 control wheels and used a D-L150 lithium battery rather than 4 x AA's. These were all upgrades from the previous flagship model, the *ist DS2. It came in a sturdy, somewhat squared-off body design that contrasted with the popular curved designs of the time. There was an optional BG2 battery grip available which doubled the shooting time, had a vertical-position shutter release and duplicated the main exposure controls and wheels in portrait orientation.
The K10D garnered great reviews from many testers and won several major awards, including the 'Best Expert Digital SLR' 2007 from TIPA, European Camera Of The Year, American Photo's Editor's Choice for 'Best Advanced Digital SLR' and the prestigious Camera Grand Prix 'Camera Of The Year' 2007. This award resulted in a limited edition brown 'Grand Prix' version by Pentax, released in 2007.
It was succeeded by the K20D in 2008.
The MSRP for the K10D at launch was $1,379 US and the 'street' price around $900 - $1,000. The kit lens offered was the first version of the DA 18-55mm.
In features, MP and price, it compared to the Sony a100, Nikon D80, Canon Rebel XTi and Olympus E400. But the performance soon had it being tested (favorably!) against higher-priced models of the competition, like the Nikon D200 and Canon EOS 30D.
By modern standards, the specs are quite modest. AF sensitivity -1 to 18 EV, shutter speed 30s to 1/4000s, burst shooting rate 3 fps in jpeg, no HDR, no LV, no video capabilities, no lens correction, no TTL. The high-ISO performance is lacking, compared to the contemporary cameras.
Still, over time the respect for this fine digital body has grown widely. Used within its limitations, the CCD sensor delivers RAW images that are truly magical and if the ISO is kept at the lower end, the colors, saturation and rendering are unmatched for beauty. It can be, under ideal conditions, more film-like in rendering than most CMOS-equipped cameras, even the most modern ones.
Hopefully this thread will provide a place for K10D users to discuss their experiences, and post examples of photos taken with the Ten.
The K10D lives on!
Ron

Last edited by rbefly; 11-16-2013 at 11:47 AM.
11-16-2013, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ron - Great Idea! - a suggestion: Change the Title from Thread to Club and relocate to the Clubs Forum (like the Lens Clubs).

SUBSCRIBED and charging my D-LI50

Last edited by monochrome; 11-16-2013 at 12:26 PM.
11-16-2013, 03:34 PM - 16 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

The K10D was the camera that finally convinced me to retire my film cameras and go digital. Though it's ancient in technology terms, I still find it a very satisfying camera. I don't really mind that it's at its best at lower ISOs. In film, I used to shoot Velvia 50 and Kodachrome 25, so I just look at my K10D as the digital equivalent of shooting those types of film and just accept the limitations that go along with that. I like that its size and weight are a good match for my larger zooms. It just feels right.

11-16-2013, 11:12 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Great Photos!

Hello TaoMaas,
Thanks for posting those photos, they are fine examples of the colors and rendering I've tried to describe.
Of course, the lens used has a major effect on the final image quality, and PP' ing, too. But I've found that the K10D delivers a certain 'look' to photographs, slightly different from the same lenses, when used on the K-7 and K-5.
I've been told (on another Forum, which shall not be named) that it's not due to the sensor, but the in-camera processing that accounts for the look of the K10D photos. Not so much 'told' as sternly lectured, in a very snarky and (to me) offensive manner.
Whatever the exact cause, there's no doubt that the K10D delivers an image quality that is all its own!
Whether it's 'better' or not, well, everyone can decide for themselves.
Ron

Last edited by rbefly; 11-16-2013 at 11:20 PM.
11-16-2013, 11:32 PM - 5 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Joined! The K10D is a wonderful camera, and I'm a mostly outdoors-shooter, so I never feel limited by it's old-school CCD sensor. In fact, I prefer it! Great shots, TaoMaas! This was taken last June with an A50/1.7:

Shot earlier this month with the plain-jane 18-55 v1 kit lens:

11-17-2013, 03:43 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
It can be, under ideal conditions, more film-like in rendering than most CMOS-equipped cameras, even the most modern ones.
So true. Mine is the Samsung GX-10 badged version of the K10D, and it's the closest digital equivalent I've ever found to the beautiful, beloved, sadly missed Kodachrome that I shot for thirty years. I might prefer a newer CMOS sensor purely for very high ISO use, but at ISO100 I'll take the CCD sensor in the K10D/GX-10 over anything. And based on the samples I've seen on-line so far, that includes the K-3.

With the Super Takumar 20mm/4.5:

A multi-shot stitch with the 18-55mm WR:

And a multi-shot stitch with the Super Takumar 20mm:

11-17-2013, 09:39 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks For Posting!

To paulh and Dartmoor Dave, thanks for posting those fine photos, and your support of the K10D. More great examples of what this camera can do.
Mine is still going strong and sees regular use for scenic, timed exposures and other low-ISO applications. I also find it useful for B+W conversions with DxO Essentials and LR.
I'll add a few K10D photos to the selection;
Ron

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
11-17-2013, 10:40 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K10D wasn't just my entry to digital DSLR, it was also my introduction to Pentax. After the first week with it I sold all my Canikon gear and invested in the 77 limited and a bunch of old film bodies with K and M glass attached.
There's an attachment to the K10 that I don't have with other bodies.

Great thread idea! Charging my batteries now...
11-17-2013, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
I've still one K10D left, I use it seldom these days, but it still can produce some very special imagery when used within its limitations.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 11-30-2013 at 03:09 PM.
11-17-2013, 04:37 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I got mine out today and charged up the battery. I was amazed how foreign the controls felt.

Then we had - tornadoes - all afternoon, so I really don't have anything to show for the fresh battery.

At least there aren't any leaves left on my trees. I got one bare-branches shot against the post-storm azure sky.
11-17-2013, 05:45 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I'm a big fan of the K10D. Bought mine in Nov. 2006...still have it...still shoot with it. It was the camera that kept me in the Pentax fold.

In 2006 I was seriously thinking of breaking with almost 40 years of Pentax and going Nikon or Canon. I was not impressed with what Pentax had to offer ...digital wise...before the K10D.
Six years later...I still use the K10...also my K-m and K-5. The K10D has been used hard...never put away wet though and still comes through with great photos.

Sign me up to the K10D club.
11-18-2013, 04:17 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Was wondering where the 'forum' for K10D is...there isnt one! Still using my trusty old K10D. It serves my needs very well. Purchased mine in 2008 Aug from a PF member with less than 1000 clicks. Was looking to purchase K3 or K5IIs but 1300 dollars is kind of hard to justify for even a K3. Heck 900 dollars is hard to justify even for a K5IIs Unless it is in the 500 range( which would be about 2 years from now!) I may consider a K3
Till then I will keep learning new tricks and building my lens repertoire with K10D. In moderate low light it focuses ok. The image quality is really very good albeit I need to use a good lens. Like my DA 50-200. For 120 bucks you can not get a better lens
Now I need a fast zoom to pair with my K10D. I am all set till K-1
11-18-2013, 08:25 PM - 3 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got my K10D in early 2008, upgrading from an istDL. What an awesome camera, I still use it. With a Sigma 18-50 f2.8, it's big, heavy and sharp as a tack! Here is an obligatory cat picture:
Attached Images

11-19-2013, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I only have the K10D for digital (aside from my phone) - 3 bodies, one converted to full spectrum for NIR and astrophotography.

Once I upgraded the focus screens and shims to match AF and MF results and figured out the AF setting for incandescent vs natural light changes in debug, I've been very happy with the cameras.

The biggest challenge that I have with the camera is controlling flash. If I have the time to set up proper lighting, then all is good. If I have to walk around with portable strobes using bounce flash, I can expect that the keeper rate drops significantly.

Another great thing that this camera can do is change the firmware for SDM-plagued lenses. My 16-50 had to be sent off to CRIS for repair once before it died again. Now the firmware is changed and it doesn't matter anymore.
11-19-2013, 02:12 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
All Aboard!!

Thanks to twilhelm, kerrowdown, monochrome, lesmore49, danny09, grog85361 and smigol for posting and joining the K10D club!
Thanks also to those who posted photos, we want to show off what this camera can do, when used properly.
I've been trying to think of a good description for the quality the CCD brings to photos; I've used 'rendering' often, but it's really hard to describe an optical quality with words. It's easier to SEE it than explain it. The ones that come closest (to me) are 'warmth' and 'film-like'. The colors have a bit of pastel softness, but the details are still sharp. A very elusive quality, we're lucky to have it!
The K10D lives on....
Ron