Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2013, 01:54 AM - 2 Likes   #61

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
I have an SMC Takumar 200mm f4. I'll have to see if I can come close to your image.
I'm sure it will render beautifully.
I have a yen for 200mm lenses and have a couple. They are pretty much orphans in the marketplace as it is not a popular focal length.
I am awaiting a Takumar preset 200mm f3.5, and am greatly anticipating its rendering as well.
All lenses have a sweet spot in their performance and it is up to us, as photographers, to discover it.
I love the Meyer in soft light - other lenses give their best with out of focus highlights.............. and so on ..............
One could spend one's life finding the beauty in lenses, and it would not be a wasted life ........
OH

11-22-2013, 06:11 AM - 1 Like   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Many Thanks!

Wow, what great support for the K10D!
Thanks to saladin, rayallen, Racer X 69, lguckert79, oldhand, trombods, TaoMaas, manntax, insukinguy, pacer and baro-nite for joining the club. Welcome all, and a special thanks for all the amazing photos you've posted.
I'm amazed by some of the stories I've read about how long folks have had their K10D's, which must speak well for it's reliability and construction. Mine has been a workhorse even under very harsh conditions. It's been outfitted with a split-prism KatzEye screen and O-ME53 magnifying eyepiece, which really helps with older MF lenses. The BG-2 grip was the first accessory I added and has been fitted ever since. The ergonomics, both with and without the grip are perfect, for me. It's solid, slightly heavy and balances exactly the way I like it.
It's a great second body, special-purpose or spare. For certain conditions the lack of LV, video or higher ISO (1600 and above) may be limiting, but otherwise it's as capable as many cameras and better than most!
Hopefully, we'll keep showing what a fine piece of photographic gear ths camera is!
The K10D lives on!
Ron
11-22-2013, 07:24 AM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whoa! Those images are just fantastic, OH. Which M42 lens produced that? The 100% crop is incredible.
+1 - These are really nice!
11-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
For certain conditions the lack of LV, video or higher ISO (1600 and above) may be limiting, but otherwise it's as capable as many cameras and better than most!
To be honest I never use the LV in my k5 for anything, but I do not use the video option either and I love to use my view finder way more so that doesn't even bother me the lack of LV. The other thing is I never seem to go over iso 800 any way and if I do I go for the k5 so that does not seem to bother me and if you really need it you can push the k10's iso to 1200 and still get useable prints just not over 8X10.

11-24-2013, 03:00 AM   #65
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm perfectly happy to use my GX-10 version of the K10D all the way up to ISO1600. As long as you avoid underexposure, you get a film-like grain effect that's actually quite aesthetically appealing.

Here's one from yesterday evening (at ISO100) with the Super Takumar 20mm.

Last edited by Dartmoor Dave; 11-24-2013 at 03:07 AM. Reason: Added comment about ISO
11-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I'm perfectly happy to use my GX-10 version of the K10D all the way up to ISO1600. As long as you avoid underexposure, you get a film-like grain effect that's actually quite aesthetically appealing.

Here's one from yesterday evening (at ISO100) with the Super Takumar 20mm.

Very nice - the light is awesome here...

One from a few days ago, before the cold front came thru. 18-55 kit lens (xposted)

11-25-2013, 03:45 PM - 1 Like   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Poorly documented feature on K10D

I would like to know if everyone is aware of a K10D feature that is not very well documented IMHO.

Do you know how to easily change the ISO while shooting? There is an easier way than going to the Fn menu. Just press the OK button and the current ISO is displayed in the top LCD and then turn the rear e-dial while still holding the OK button.

On page 19 of the manual it says in point 18 that the OK button displays the current ISO and point 23 says that the rear e-dial sets sensitivity values but it does not directly link the two together.
This is a great feature that I think is poorly documented. I can find no other reference to it in the manual. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I assume that this feature is also available on other Pentax models but the K10D is the only one I have owned and the only one I know intimately.

Does anyone else use this feature?

11-25-2013, 05:54 PM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Does anyone else use this feature?
I only learned about it here on the forums, having owned the K10D for a few years. Invaluable, given the lack of a dedicated ISO button.
11-25-2013, 09:24 PM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Great Tip!

rayallen, that's a great tip! I didn't know about it. Once I got used to the fn button, it seemed OK, but after using newer bodies with a dedicated ISO/thumbwheel function, I realized the fn system took longer and required the user to take your eye away from the viewfinder.
I'll have to try it, thanks!
Ron
11-25-2013, 10:12 PM   #70
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes that OK / iso trick is a gun! :P

And yes, it was pentax forums that taught me that too :P
11-25-2013, 11:46 PM   #71
Pentaxian

yes, you can shoot sports with Pentax! even the venerable K10 with its supposedly poor AF. despite what many think......................:

11-26-2013, 12:13 AM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by saladin Quote
yes, you can shoot sports with Pentax! even the venerable K10 with its supposedly poor AF. despite what many think......................:
Just how much sharper than that would anyone want?
11-26-2013, 12:16 AM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
I only learned about it here on the forums, having owned the K10D for a few years. Invaluable, given the lack of a dedicated ISO button.
Well, seeing as the K10D manual is the only one I have read I did not know about dedicated ISO buttons. At least, I have learned something new today. Thanks.
11-26-2013, 12:45 AM - 1 Like   #74

Let me jump in here and join if no one objects. I love my K10D's, I have 2, both with grips. I was thinking real hard about the K5iis, but never pulled the trigger. Here lately I have been tinkering with the idea of the K3. But I have to apologize to Pentax for not spending the money, I just cannot set my K10's on the shelf for something newer, I would not use the video at all, [ I have a video cam for that], I have no problem with the ISO's of the camera, I spent years shooting Ektar 25 and 100. I cannot add to anything that has not already been said about this fantastic camera.
Let's keep the club rolling. Long live the K10D.

Last edited by Old Man; 11-26-2013 at 06:25 PM. Reason: add photos
11-26-2013, 01:06 AM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Old Man Quote
Let me jump in here and join if no one objects. I love my K10D's, I have 2, both with grips. Let's keep the club rolling. Long live the K10D.
I don't think anyone here will object to that post. More power to you.