Photos: Gallery | Albums
More stumbling in the Arizona desert.

02-03-2014, 02:22 PM   #257
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
More stumbling in the Arizona desert.
That has lots of appeal. But where are the cowboys?
02-03-2014, 03:37 PM   #258

Nice shot. I wish I could go stumble around out there, I would take my metal detector and hopefully stumble on some gold nuggets.
02-03-2014, 04:58 PM   #259
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Old Man Quote
Nice shot. I wish I could go stumble around out there, I would take my metal detector and hopefully stumble on some gold nuggets.
All snapped up by the pioneers!

02-03-2014, 04:59 PM   #260
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
That has lots of appeal. But where are the cowboys?
Probably in the saloon drinking whiskey.
02-03-2014, 05:53 PM   #261
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jamac Quote
I bought my K10D in 2007 and love it but would like to upgrade to a DSLR with video capability. <snip>.
How important is the VIDEO capabilities in your expectations. As I understand it (I have no interest in using a DSLR for Video recording), The K5 series and even the K3 has serious limitations with video.
I just am in the process of upgrading from my K10D (also 2007) to a K5ii. It's not a "snapshot camera" but neither is the K10D. It appears to have better image quality and much wider dynamic range. Of course the first real test for my K5ii will be this coming weekend at my niece's Sweet 16. Mostly with DA21Ltd, DA* 50-135 and my trusty AF360 flash on a Stroboframe flip flash bracket.
02-03-2014, 11:08 PM   #262

Any thoughts on the K50?

02-04-2014, 05:51 AM   #263
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jamac Quote
Any thoughts on the K50?
My decision was to go with the K5ii because of all the hype when it and it's "S" sister first came out. Like I said before, I have no desire for a DSLR that does Video (I also own a Kodak Play Sport Video camera that rarely gets used). I'm happy with my decision for my own uses.
However, if I am understanding what you are looking for, (and if I believe the following review (no reason not to)) the K50 might be the right camera for you. That comment is based mostly on a quick read of the following linked review:

Pentax K-50 Review - Movie/Video Mode - PentaxForums.com

Just my opinion, YMMV

oops I meant this link for the front page: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-k-50-review/introduction.html

Last edited by calicojack; 02-04-2014 at 06:09 AM.
02-04-2014, 06:26 PM   #264
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

neighborhood streets using the DA18-55 (xposted):

Last edited by paulh; 02-04-2014 at 06:33 PM.
02-05-2014, 12:21 AM   #265
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
neighborhood streets using the DA18-55 (xposted):
That looks like a nice area to live.
02-05-2014, 04:29 AM   #266

More nice photos being shared - thanks for sharing everyone. As for thoughts on the various Pentax bodies lately, I have a different take on it. In fact I'm sure my thoughts are a bit "out there", but I'll share anyway. I'm probably one of the few people who downgraded my Pentax - intentionally. I went from a K100D to a K20D, then to a K5, then came back to a K10D, and am very happy here with the K10D (and no intention of updating again). My first complaint has been auto focus accuracy - I've almost entirely given up on having a Pentax body that focuses accurately - both the K20D and K5 had issues with AF. The K10D may also suffer from that problem, but I wouldn't know as I've given up and just use manual focus lenses in conjunction with a KatzEye screen. But also, I found I prefer the look I get with a CCD sensor rather than a CMOS sensor. Not sure I can prove it, but images from a CCD sensor feel more film-like... punchier, better color and contrast. And the noise at 800 and 1600 in the K10D feels a bit more film-like than CMOS-based bodies. And lastly, I have come to believe that as camera companies have pushed for better high ISO performance, something goes lacking at the low or base ISO settings - images shot at ISO 100 or 200 feel a bit softer with less punchiness. Please understand, this is just my opinion - I'm sure some of you will disagree. So I'm interested in hearing what others think.
02-05-2014, 05:44 AM - 1 Like   #267
Inactive Account

I have always stood up for the quality of the images coming from the CCD sensor in the K10D. I have my Auto ISO set to allow only up to 1000 to limit the amount of noise in the shadows, but on the film side of things, I never pushed Tri X past 800 either. Eventually I switched to TMax 100 then 400 and only occasionally shot Tri Xwhen I was looking for the grain effect specifically. Now, I just bought a K5ii as an upgrade from my K10D, but I have no intention of getting rid of the K10D. It's a great camera and I'm sure I'll come across situations where I'll want that over the K5ii. (unless one of the nieces or nephews actually starts to take a serious interest in photography). If I end up getting rid of the K10D for whatever reason, my wife has an almost unused K200D which has the same CCD sensor. Our next vacation will show the difference between the sensors to me very graphically. There are times that we stand near each other and shoot the same subject usually using the same "Vacation Snaps" type settings (Auto everything)
02-05-2014, 05:53 AM   #268

QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
I have always stood up for the quality of the images coming from the CCD sensor in the K10D. I have my Auto ISO set to allow only up to 1000 to limit the amount of noise in the shadows
Good stuff - if you end up getting some side-by-side shots, would love to see them. I don't usually use auto ISO myself, but I've also never tried it while limiting the setting - I should try that.
02-05-2014, 06:59 AM   #269
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been using the K10D for this month's Single-in challenge and this has included some high-ISO shots. Here's one at 1600:

Of course at this size the noise disappears, but even at larger sizes it's still very usable -- up to around 50%, I'd say.
02-05-2014, 08:15 AM   #270
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BobD2 Quote
More nice photos being shared - thanks for sharing everyone. As for thoughts on the various Pentax bodies lately, I have a different take on it. In fact I'm sure my thoughts are a bit "out there", but I'll share anyway. I'm probably one of the few people who downgraded my Pentax - intentionally. I went from a K100D to a K20D, then to a K5, then came back to a K10D, and am very happy here with the K10D (and no intention of updating again). My first complaint has been auto focus accuracy - I've almost entirely given up on having a Pentax body that focuses accurately - both the K20D and K5 had issues with AF. The K10D may also suffer from that problem, but I wouldn't know as I've given up and just use manual focus lenses in conjunction with a KatzEye screen. But also, I found I prefer the look I get with a CCD sensor rather than a CMOS sensor. Not sure I can prove it, but images from a CCD sensor feel more film-like... punchier, better color and contrast. And the noise at 800 and 1600 in the K10D feels a bit more film-like than CMOS-based bodies. And lastly, I have come to believe that as camera companies have pushed for better high ISO performance, something goes lacking at the low or base ISO settings - images shot at ISO 100 or 200 feel a bit softer with less punchiness. Please understand, this is just my opinion - I'm sure some of you will disagree. So I'm interested in hearing what others think.
QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
I have always stood up for the quality of the images coming from the CCD sensor in the K10D. I have my Auto ISO set to allow only up to 1000 to limit the amount of noise in the shadows, but on the film side of things, I never pushed Tri X past 800 either. Eventually I switched to TMax 100 then 400 and only occasionally shot Tri Xwhen I was looking for the grain effect specifically. Now, I just bought a K5ii as an upgrade from my K10D, but I have no intention of getting rid of the K10D. It's a great camera and I'm sure I'll come across situations where I'll want that over the K5ii. (unless one of the nieces or nephews actually starts to take a serious interest in photography). If I end up getting rid of the K10D for whatever reason, my wife has an almost unused K200D which has the same CCD sensor. Our next vacation will show the difference between the sensors to me very graphically. There are times that we stand near each other and shoot the same subject usually using the same "Vacation Snaps" type settings (Auto everything)
I think you both make very good points about the CCD giving better and more film like results, although I have not used a camera with a CMOS sensor myself yet to see.

I do feel that the K10 with the CCD can make very good images, but the quality of the light is an important factor. Many lower light images I have made wind up looking quite odd, even washed out. I still need to spend some time experimenting with various exposures in low light at different ISO settings though.

And of course that can be fun!