Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
K10D & 18-55 kit lens:

Very nice Paul.

03-04-2014, 02:40 AM   #347

A couple of shots from yesterday's shoot. Both with the 40mm XS, simply love this lens on the K10d:

03-04-2014, 07:35 AM   #348
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Very nice Paul.
Thanks Racer - I almost stepped on the poor guy, since he blended in so well with the drab brown scenery that day....
03-05-2014, 04:28 PM   #349
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The K10D was my very first camera. I bought it after I spent six months reading books about photography. These are probably the best photos I took with it.

It has great sentimental value and I will never get rid of it. However, whenever I use it now, and compare it to my K5, it's such a noticeable downgrade that I no longer use it at all.

03-05-2014, 06:09 PM   #350
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by FrancisK7 Quote
<snip>However, whenever I use it now, and compare it to my K5, it's such a noticeable downgrade that I no longer use it at all.
I think of it more like switching from Velvia (K5) back to Kodachrome (K10D). Not a "downgrade", but more like a different type of quality. Possibly better, depending on your desires.
03-06-2014, 03:06 AM - 1 Like   #351
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
I think of it more like switching from Velvia (K5) back to Kodachrome (K10D). Not a "downgrade", but more like a different type of quality. Possibly better, depending on your desires.
If only I COULD switch from Velvia back to Kodachrome! I'd do it tomorrow.

But since I can't, I do think there's something quite Kodachrome-like in the rendering I get from my GX-10(K10D clone). Here are a couple of shots with the s-m-c Takumar 24mm/3.5 (cross-posted in the Takumar club a few weeks ago).

03-06-2014, 03:15 AM   #352

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
But since I can't, I do think there's something quite Kodachrome-like in the rendering I get from my GX-10(K10D clone). Here are a couple of shots with the s-m-c Takumar 24mm/3.5
Very nice shots!!

---------- Post added 03-06-2014 at 05:18 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by FrancisK7 Quote
However, whenever I use it now, and compare it to my K5, it's such a noticeable downgrade that I no longer use it at all
I respect your opinion on that, but it's definitely subjective - I owned a K5 and chose to sell it and "downgrade" to the K10D because I didn't care for the K5 images and prefer the look the 10 mp ccd sensor gives me. But definitely just personal taste.

03-06-2014, 08:02 AM   #353
Inactive Account

Dartmoor, I especially like your first and last shots.

I'm just in the process of changing from my trusty old K10D to a brand spanking new K5ll. Due to this "Polar Vortex" winter weather still continuing, I haven't been able to get outside and really test the look of the new camera. I've got a major European Vacation coming up this July and I need to get familiar with the new baby before then. I used it at a niece's sweet 16 party (mini wedding reception type) and really only got a very few true keepers. Of course this was using flash, indoors, without any pre-party familiarization, so I'm still hoping for the best. Just in case, my K10D is still sitting at the ready (as is my wife's K200D).
03-06-2014, 09:21 AM   #354
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
I've got a major European Vacation coming up this July and I need to get familiar with the new baby before then.
I grew up on Long Island (Kings Park, Suffolk County) before relocating to my birth country of England. And I'm happy to tell you that if your new K5ii works well in the Long Island light it'll also work well here in Europe. As a rough equivalent, think of the climate and quality of light in northern Europe in July as like Long Island in May. The very south of Europe, such as southern Spain and Portugal, is similar in July to Arizona and southern California.
03-06-2014, 07:33 PM   #355
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
The very south of Europe, such as southern Spain and Portugal, is similar in July to Arizona and southern California.
Hey Dave,
I'm in the middle of Nassau County so not too far from where you mentioned.
My vacation is going to be a cruise from Venice through to Istanbul, then cruise back to Rome, and stay in Rome for a few days. I'm expecting a great time. We've been through Italy and Greece a bit already. In fact it was our first trip to Greece that prompted my purchasing the K10D.
03-07-2014, 12:51 PM   #356
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wow so many happy K10D users
Just got my review of a great zoom SMC 35-70 f2.8-3.5 done and thought I would upload few snaps from this great lens in combo with K10D. It does splendidly and is a pure joy to use with the split focusing screen. Enjoy!--manntax

"Reaching out" , f2.8 , K10D, SMC-M 35-70 f2.8-3.5

"A man's cave", f4.0, K10D, SMC-M 35-70 f2.8-3.5
03-08-2014, 03:58 AM   #357

QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
Just got my review of a great zoom SMC 35-70 f2.8-3.5 done and thought I would upload few snaps from this great lens in combo with K10D
Nice images! I love the split prism screen in my K10D also. I've had lots of Pentax manual lenses, but have never tried the 35-70... sure looks like a nice sharp one. Closest thing I have is a Vivitar 35-70/2.8-3.8, which gives stunning results also.
03-08-2014, 06:18 AM   #358
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
Wow so many happy K10D users
Just got my review of a great zoom SMC 35-70 f2.8-3.5 done and thought I would upload few snaps from this great lens in combo with K10D. It does splendidly and is a pure joy to use with the split focusing screen. Enjoy!--manntax

Nice looking shots - I have a copy of this lens & really enjoy the colors & sharpness too. An impressive chunk of metal & glass!
03-08-2014, 11:21 AM   #359
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BobD2 Quote
Nice images! I love the split prism screen in my K10D also. I've had lots of Pentax manual lenses, but have never tried the 35-70... sure looks like a nice sharp one. Closest thing I have is a Vivitar 35-70/2.8-3.8, which gives stunning results also.
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Nice looking shots - I have a copy of this lens & really enjoy the colors & sharpness too. An impressive chunk of metal & glass!
Thank you both for the kind words I am glad you liked these shots
And the 35-70 SMC-M zoom indeed has stunned me with the quality of images when received it. I couldn't believe my eyes to be honest - that is my sharpest and best manual zoom ever in this range and I had them quite a few I really didn't pixel peep but at first glance my copy is at least on par with sharpness of my Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 between 35 and 50mm and then Pentax is simple better and sharper all the way to 70mm - quite extraordinary in my books. And this lens is perfect on my K10D.. I managed to get the lens hood that is ideally covering the lens but even without it the lens offers really amazing contrast and clarity--manntax
03-08-2014, 06:30 PM   #360
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BobD2 Quote

I too could use the split prism for my K10D to improve MF. Can you give me a part number or description.

Thanks