Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12504 Likes Search this Thread
04-09-2014, 04:28 PM   #406
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
The K200D is another path to the 10 Mp CCD sensor. It's WR, a compact size (more like the K5), uses AA/Eneloop batteries, darn near bulletproof - no firmware fixes except to allow higher Mp SD cards, and works well with split-prism and/or diopter VF assist accessories, IME.

You give up a little elbow room for cropping and some DR relative to the current CMOS sensors and it's noise limited much above ISO 400 but as an outdoor field camera it shines on its own merits. It's the new K1000 of Pentax DSLRs.

You don't see 'em used for sale much 'cause I suspect those of us that appreciate 'em tend to hold on to 'em in the present price/demand market.
Indeed. I will never give up my K200D.

04-09-2014, 11:29 PM   #407

K-10D and Listar 2.8/135 pre-set

In case anyone else has a LISTAR lens (mine is M42 mount) please indicate. This is the first that I have come across and I am unsure of the maker - Komura perhaps.
This image is a 100% crop from the middle of the full picture.
Rather crisp for an ooollldddd lens
OH
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
04-10-2014, 02:52 AM   #408
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldhand Quote
In case anyone else has a LISTAR lens (mine is M42 mount) please indicate. This is the first that I have come across and I am unsure of the maker - Komura perhaps.
This image is a 100% crop from the middle of the full picture.
Rather crisp for an ooollldddd lens
OH
I must admit, Tom, that I have never heard of the LISTAR brand. But you are right, it is rather crisp and sharp. 135mm works well on the K10D.

Here's a nice sharp image from a much younger lens - a DA 18-55mm WR. A bee on a flowering gum at Mt. Penang Gardens:

04-10-2014, 03:05 AM   #409

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
I must admit, Tom, that I have never heard of the LISTAR brand. But you are right, it is rather crisp and sharp. 135mm works well on the K10D.

Here's a nice sharp image from a much younger lens - a DA 18-55mm WR. A bee on a flowering gum at Mt. Penang Gardens:
Beautiful work Ray.
A lovely image from a great combination of lens and camera.
I am a sucker for old glass, and you may have noticed that most of my images here have been with vintage lenses.
One of the reasons for buying my K-10D was to give me the chance to use these old relics again.
I love the K-10D. It gets much more use than my Nikon.

04-11-2014, 08:07 PM   #410
Pentaxian

Lovely shot. such a warm feel and great colors.
04-12-2014, 01:11 AM   #411
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldhand Quote
Beautiful work Ray.
A lovely image from a great combination of lens and camera.
I love the K-10D. It gets much more use than my Nikon.
Thanks, Tom.

QuoteOriginally posted by saladin Quote
Lovely shot. such a warm feel and great colors.
Thank you, saladin.
04-13-2014, 05:13 AM   #412
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Can anyone suggest a good, yet inexpensive, replacement eyecup for the K10D? I loaned the camera to a niece so she could take some photos of her Rugby team in action and somehow, the eyecup has gone missing. I need to replace it, just because.....

04-13-2014, 02:46 PM   #413

I recently picked up a K10D as a second body. It's been fun getting to know it over the past few days. With a small prime and the grip attached, I find it provides a very nice shooting experience. Here are some from the farmers market today.

04-13-2014, 02:49 PM   #414
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by freerider Quote
Here are some from the farmers market today.
Whoooa and try to beat THAT color with cmos sensor camera now :P
great shots !
--manntax
04-13-2014, 02:59 PM   #415
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here are some from the farmers market today.
Just look at how good it has made those strawberries look. Beautiful even lighting. K10D at its best. It's a keeper.
04-13-2014, 04:22 PM   #416

QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
Whoooa and try to beat THAT color with cmos sensor camera now :P
great shots !
--manntax
Just look at how good it has made those strawberries look. Beautiful even lighting. K10D at its best. It's a keeper.
Thanks guys. So far I've been very happy with the images the K10D produces. In comparison it to the K5, the K10D's colors do appear to be richer. My FA lenses seem to excel over my DA lenses on this body.
04-13-2014, 05:13 PM   #417
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I recently picked up a K10D as a second body. It's been fun getting to know it over the past few days. With a small prime and the grip attached, I find it provides a very nice shooting experience. Here are some from the farmers market today.
Nice shots & nice color! Welcome to the 'old school' Club!
04-13-2014, 06:41 PM   #418
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
More Colors?

Hello All, thanks again for keeping this thread going with so many fine photos!
Since there's been a series of examples of the color rendering, I'll add one more, from the Denver Auto Show this weekend.
Forgive the slight overall softness, I must have 'shook' a bit at 1/80s. Also the ISO is pretty much maxed out (for me, anyway) at 400. The lens is a '70's Miranda 24mm f/2.8 MC Macro (close-focusing would be more accurate) at f/4.0, so DoF is pretty thin.
Anyway, the colors! The small group of maroon/red/orange cars near the center is a fine example of the K10's ability to convey subtle differences in hue without 'carving' a line of separation or too-sharp edge. Hard to explain, but easy to see.
Same for the yellows, another difficult color to render. Left-hand center, vertical row; From the '70's pop of the Firebird, up to the pastel ice-cream yellow of the Chevy Nomad, to the modern hard-yellow of the pickup near the top. Is it just me? Even the texture of the paint gloss matches over similar-vintage cars, throughout entirely different colors.
Maybe I'm overthinking this, some of what we see is surely PP and in this case, the lens, too. But overall there's a warmth and distinct tonal range/quality that works better for certain scenes.
@calicojack; I've tried several eyecups and my favorite is the O-ME53 Pentax model. It has a soft rubber surround and a slight magnification factor, 1.18, I believe. Great for M/F lenses, along with a better V/F screen. Another type that's useful is the teardrop-shaped cup, under $10.00 on eBay, they come with several adapters for the various brands available. No glass in this one, just a cup and bracket.
Ron
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
04-13-2014, 08:19 PM   #419

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Nice shots & nice color! Welcome to the 'old school' Club!
Thanks, paulh! It's funny how 2006 technology is now considered old school.

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello All, thanks again for keeping this thread going with so many fine photos!
Since there's been a series of examples of the color rendering, I'll add one more, from the Denver Auto Show this weekend.
Forgive the slight overall softness, I must have 'shook' a bit at 1/80s. Also the ISO is pretty much maxed out (for me, anyway) at 400. The lens is a '70's Miranda 24mm f/2.8 MC Macro (close-focusing would be more accurate) at f/4.0, so DoF is pretty thin.
Anyway, the colors! The small group of maroon/red/orange cars near the center is a fine example of the K10's ability to convey subtle differences in hue without 'carving' a line of separation or too-sharp edge. Hard to explain, but easy to see.
Same for the yellows, another difficult color to render. Left-hand center, vertical row; From the '70's pop of the Firebird, up to the pastel ice-cream yellow of the Chevy Nomad, to the modern hard-yellow of the pickup near the top. Is it just me? Even the texture of the paint gloss matches over similar-vintage cars, throughout entirely different colors.
Maybe I'm overthinking this, some of what we see is surely PP and in this case, the lens, too. But overall there's a warmth and distinct tonal range/quality that works better for certain scenes.
@calicojack; I've tried several eyecups and my favorite is the O-ME53 Pentax model. It has a soft rubber surround and a slight magnification factor, 1.18, I believe. Great for M/F lenses, along with a better V/F screen. Another type that's useful is the teardrop-shaped cup, under $10.00 on eBay, they come with several adapters for the various brands available. No glass in this one, just a cup and bracket.
Ron
Nice pic and example of K10D colors. And thanks for getting the ball rolling with this thread!
04-14-2014, 01:46 AM   #420
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Can someone shoot some subjects side by side from each camera? :P