Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12492 Likes Search this Thread
05-13-2014, 06:24 AM   #481
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oh I mean no harm directed toward you with that last comment. Nor anyone for that matter. It seems I still have a difficult time judging how much tongue I can put in my cheek for it to translate over into a forum :P

05-13-2014, 06:38 AM   #482
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
Oh I mean no harm directed toward you with that last comment. Nor anyone for that matter. It seems I still have a difficult time judging how much tongue I can put in my cheek for it to translate over into a forum :P

No offence taken - I think i simple missed that 'tongue' bit :P
05-13-2014, 05:50 PM - 2 Likes   #483

While some of the esoteric comparisons of CCD vs CMOS sensors can make it difficult to draw an objective conclusion, I have greatly enjoyed this thread's appreciation for the K10d's performance. I recently decided to dust off an old 28mm DDR made Pentacon f2.8 for a sunny day in Mobile, Alabama. Here are a couple of shots both at f8.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
05-14-2014, 01:29 AM   #484
Pentaxian

Don't all yee with k10's just use 30yr old pentax M's. What's all this auto focus witchcraft?

It was when they brought out those new-fangled 30 year old M lenses that it all started going downhill. If it doesn't say Takumar on the front then it's not getting anywhere near MY camera!

And. . . remove tongue from cheek.

05-14-2014, 03:49 AM   #485

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
For folks considering acquiring the K10 CCD (which is a good thing to do!) -- the K200 should be included in the search
I mostly agree about the K200D - another good option to be sure - but feel I should point out one difference I think is important, and that's the viewfinder. The K200D incorporates a penta-mirror instead of a pentaprism like the K10D. Not a huge deal if AF is accurate on a K200D and that's what you're using - but if you're relying heavily on manual focus, the brighter pentaprism is helpful I think. But I had a K200D in hand at one point, and it's very capable.

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
With in-camera focus adjustment there may have been an ill-advised slackening in QA for consumer camera marketing assuming the users would be astute enough to pick up the slack.
But we're talking about a hack to self adjust focus with the K10D, right? According to Pentax, we should not be able to adjust the AF in our K10D bodies at all. So I definitely feel their slackening of QA is ill-advised. And while on this topic, it appears they also didn't bother calibrating the focusing screens with the proper shim - if one is to expect accurate visual focusing confirmation with the screen, one might need to buy shims and adjust their own screen (as I have done). We obviously love so much about our Pentax DSLRs, but you really do need to be a true 'roll your sleeves up camera geek' to fine tune the beast and get those gorgeous images in focus.
05-14-2014, 04:22 AM   #486
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BobD2 Quote
We obviously love so much about our Pentax DSLRs, but you really do need to be a true 'roll your sleeves up camera geek' to fine tune the beast and get those gorgeous images in focus.
Couldn't agree more on this one !

>>-manntax-->
05-14-2014, 04:44 AM   #487

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
It was when they brought out those new-fangled 30 year old M lenses that it all started going downhill
Bet it's been at least 25 years since anyone has called an M-series lens 'newfangled'!

QuoteOriginally posted by PaulieHun Quote
So rapt I've kicked it off with a K10D, awesome camera
Congrats on your choice of a K10D, and welcome.

05-17-2014, 06:53 PM   #488
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sigma 17-70 DC macro (xposted)
05-17-2014, 07:21 PM   #489
Veteran Member

Rainy afternoon With a Dirt filled Tak 55 f1.8

Click

Hmmm that lack of contrast. moooooooody :P
05-18-2014, 01:55 AM   #490
Pentaxian

Hmmm that lack of contrast. moooooooody :P
But it ISN'T lacking in contrast. It's just mercifully free from the over-exaggerated contrast and hyper-saturated colours that people seem to demand from modern cameras and lenses. Those who try to look at the world and see it as it really is will know that on rainy days there isn't much natural contrast in the light, and that colours are naturally muted. Problem is, you Aussies just aren't familiar enough with rain. I like the photo very much.

Personally, the only modern lens I use is the 18-55mmWR, which I keep purely for wet weather. And every time I use it, I have to heavily reduce the contrast and saturation in processing to try to get anything close to the way things really looked.

Last edited by Dartmoor Dave; 05-18-2014 at 02:49 AM. Reason: Added photo
05-18-2014, 05:16 AM   #491
Veteran Member

They are all very good points, you descibre it much better then I, and yes, rain is a fickel Sod as far as we are concerned. Rain stops things like bbq's, fishing and football. </end cliche Australia>

Your shot is lovely My dirt filled super tak is wr as far as I'm concerned

Last edited by tromboads; 05-18-2014 at 05:24 AM.
05-18-2014, 05:43 AM   #492
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bondezire Quote
К10D + K135/2.5
If I had taken this photo, I would have to return to it over and over again to remind myself how to obtain such results!
05-19-2014, 07:39 AM   #493
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K10D with the 18-55 kit lens (xposted)
05-20-2014, 08:34 AM   #494

paulh, you have inspired me to show my 18-55 kit lens some love - it's no slouch, is it?

05-21-2014, 02:32 AM   #495
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is a geat thread, wonderful images. I have the K100D Super, also CCD sensor but only 6mp. It serves me perfectly well but I'd like more more pixels to make cropping easier. I'd been thinking of getting a K20 but maybe now I should look at K10's. Luckily used K10d's are now so cheap, half the price of a K20 in many cases.

Also as recently stated the standard kit zooms can be very capable. I suspect some copies are better than others. it's worth holding on to a good one. I often use mine even though I have some very good manual Pentax lenses.