Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2014, 02:55 AM   #601

QuoteOriginally posted by RussV Quote
It must be the compression and or resizing applied here during up loads.
You may be right Russ.
It is very disappointing nonetheless - particularly as one has to pay for the privilege of uploading to this forum.
OH

07-29-2014, 03:21 AM   #602
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldhand Quote
You may be right Russ.
It is very disappointing nonetheless - particularly as one has to pay for the privilege of uploading to this forum.
OH
It might be worth doing some investigation into the preferred sizes on this forum and then resizing yourself, quality might be better if the up load process doesn't need to do anything.
07-29-2014, 03:30 AM   #603

QuoteOriginally posted by RussV Quote
It might be worth doing some investigation into the preferred sizes on this forum and then resizing yourself, quality might be better if the up load process doesn't need to do anything.
Good point. Thanks for the heads up
OH
07-29-2014, 08:25 AM - 2 Likes   #604
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PaulieHun Quote
My photo's even as mediocre as they may be to you hotshot are real!
Edward Weston, a skilled photographer once said : " everything in a photograph is accurate, none of it is true" Personally The moment you photograph anything you remove it from reality and create what is merely a representation of it.

Pentax K10D - SMCP-FA31mm f/1.8 ASPH Limited

Last edited by Digitalis; 07-30-2014 at 06:23 AM.
07-29-2014, 08:33 AM   #605
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
The moment you photograph anything you remove it from reality and create what is merely a representation of it.

Beautiful photograph, Digitalis. A true example of what photography is really all about: light and shadow and colour and composition, and the feelings that they can evoke.
07-29-2014, 08:37 AM   #606
Veteran Member

I would add: photography is not about recording what you see, but recording what you feel. Lovely image, Digitalis.
07-29-2014, 08:38 AM   #607
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
Thanks for starting this club. A great idea.
I have been a Pentax user since 1975 (SP1000 & Spotmatic SP) and the K10D was my first K-mount. I had been waiting for Pentax to produce a camera that met the specs I was waiting for. The K10D was that camera. I bought one and I have never looked back.
When you learn how to get the best out of it, it produces fine images. Sure, I would like a K-5iiS or a K-3 but, as a retired person, I find it hard to justify upgrading while my K10D is working as well as it is.
Fortunately, the 18-55mm kit lens is regarded as one of the best and that is good because I have taken most of my images with it. The zoom range just suits me. I have upgraded to the WR version.
Here are a few of my images to showcase what the K10D can do:

There are plenty more on Flickr.
Wow....i'm stupefied...

07-29-2014, 09:40 AM   #608
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tone and civility . . .

One of the things I most value about the Forum is the high level of courtesy, kindness, and goodwill that generally characterize the postings and the exchanges of views and information. I find myself, on occasion, rereading my comments before posting to assure that they contain nothing that could give offense because of my sharp critical comments, bruskness of language, or vague humor or sarcasm that could easily be misinterpreted. I believe there are a few communications in this string that might have benefitted from just such a review prior to posting,
07-29-2014, 09:45 AM   #609
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well said, Ivan.
07-29-2014, 03:31 PM   #610
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-10D and Auto Vivitar 2.8/35
Love that CCD sensor
OH

PS: the images that I post here on the Pentax forum always lose crispness and sharpness and pop for some reason.
They are always better on my monitor and other forums show them in a better light.
I am puzzled by the drop in IQ on this forum
To see this same image elsewhere and see the differences have a look at:
LINK
OH
Yes, I see what you mean, Tom. A very real and noticeable difference.
And that is why I almost never upload here to display my images. Instead, I always use a link to my images on Flickr and then they display as I uploaded them there.

---------- Post added 07-30-2014 at 08:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mirton Quote
Wow....i'm stupefied...
Thank you, sir, for your very kind comment. But there really is nothing there that anyone else could not have done with a K10D and the 18-55 kit lens and a bit of knowledge about PP in Photoshop. Plus a few years of experience!

---------- Post added 07-30-2014 at 08:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Well said, Ivan.
I'll second what Paul said.

---------- Post added 07-30-2014 at 09:14 AM ----------

A blast from the past. I bought two of these coffee mugs many years ago. They came with 3 rolls of Ilford film - one each of FP4, HP5 and XP-1. Those were the days.

Pentax K10D plus Sigma 17-70 DC HSM Contemporary.

07-29-2014, 06:51 PM   #611
Inactive Account

sign me up . sounds like a great club to join . i got my k-10d yesterday and i have to say it's a awesome camera
07-29-2014, 06:54 PM - 1 Like   #612
Inactive Account

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/231825d1406685256-k10d-club-_igp6106.jpg
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
07-30-2014, 12:56 PM   #613
Inactive Account

60 - OMG that's a handfull!
Oh well - there is always next time.

Here is an image from good old K-10D and an aged US department store lens - Sears Auto EE 135mm f2.8
Cheers
OH
Ya gotta love those old Sears lenses
07-30-2014, 10:37 PM   #614
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
If you can't produce something straight out of the camera without using a photo editing program, your conception of true art and what photography is all about is flawed. I will shoot you one question! Where would you have been 15 years ago without your Photoshop.
I'd have been in my wet darkroom with an enlarger timing development, varying temperature, trying different developers and papers, pushin', pullin', dodgin', burnin' prints and doin' post processing in a smelly, messy way . . . and cussing the lack of features we have today to deal with non-destructive adjustments if I'd only known about them then.

Wet PP was much more time consuming, expensive and inflexible than the tools we have today -- whether used for 'art' or for recording forensic reality.

Straight out of camera was never the final product except for slides and those weren't ALL THAT GREAT in most cases.

At the very least, you need to consider an appropriate compositional crop suitable for the subject rather than the given format!!

Post processing is an integral part/art of photography. To deny that is to tell Ansel he was wastin' his time in the darkroom all those years.

H2

(An' I can now crawl into bed at midnight after a long 'day' in the "compute darkroom" without being told I stink -- and to go take a shower! Digital PP has its procreational advantages, too! )
07-31-2014, 01:39 AM   #615
Pentaxian

And of course there’s no such thing as an unprocessed digital photograph anyway. A jpeg straight from the camera has still been converted from the raw data, but the conversion has been done automatically, according to parameters set by the camera’s firmware designers and the user’s menu choices.

Converting from raw to jpeg at home on the computer is merely a different way of doing the same thing. In fact I’d argue that, when I shoot raw+ and compare my own conversion with the jpeg straight from the camera, my own version is usually LESS processed. I prefer to get it right in camera and only apply very simple levels and sharpening adjustments on the computer, but that’s because I shot Kodachrome for thirty years before I went digital. I learned my photography in an era when I had no way of doing any post processing at all. Because I was always hopeless in the darkroom, and never managed to produce a B&W wet print worth seeing the light of day.

Personally, I feel that colour photographs can only withstand a very limited amount of processing before they start to look fake. Whereas I think that B&W can take extensive manipulation and still look wonderful. But that’s just my personal aesthetic taste, and it’s no more valid than anyone else’s.

If I think that a photograph looks beautiful, and I believe that it’s a genuine attempt by the photographer to convey what it felt like to be there in the moment, then I couldn’t care less what technical means were used to achieve the end result.