Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12492 Likes Search this Thread
09-29-2014, 05:41 PM   #736

QuoteOriginally posted by Bonavista Quote
Ray and Tom,

Beautiful images for sure. That K-10 is very special isn't it.
I prefer mine over my K-50. Different colors from the K-10.
Although the K-10 is a little harder to use, one you can get the jist of it the K-10 can't be beaten in my opinion.

I got mine because of the inspiration i got by viewing Tom's pictures. I'll try to put up a set when I get a chance.

Regards,
Gavin
Thanks for the kind words Gavin.
Here is the wonderful K-10D with another Mamiya.
This time the 4.5/250 seen here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/2383...-club-mam1.jpg

Edit
I am amazed at the loss of definition when this image - flower below - posted.
It is much better than this. Occasionally this happens to my images when posted on this forum (ie loss of clarity and softening of the image) but it does not happen when the same images are posted on other sites.
Puzzled by that one.
OH

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Last edited by Oldhand; 09-29-2014 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Poor image quality as shown by the website
10-05-2014, 07:26 PM - 1 Like   #737
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldhand Quote
Beautiful Ray.
Simply stunning.
There is a wonderful serenity to this set.
Well done
OH
I,ll second that Ray, is there a better word than stunning

Australia is a mecca for photographers for sure. Very well done. Gotta love that 10D

Regards,

Gavin
10-06-2014, 12:26 AM   #738
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bonavista Quote
I,ll second that Ray, is there a better word than stunning

Australia is a mecca for photographers for sure. Very well done. Gotta love that 10D

Regards,

Gavin
Thank you so much, Gavin, for your kind comments. Much appreciated. Yes, I do love my K10D.
10-06-2014, 01:47 PM   #739
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tarragon Quote
I'm liking my new k10d more and more, In fact I've gone and got the battery grip and spare battery for it - something I told myself I would only do when I was sure I had the camera I want to stick with

It's simply stunning now for portrait orientation - I am amazed at the difference in feel, it isn't rushed anymore like when taking portraits with twisted hands!

I'm still getting used to the camera, but will happily post some shots when I feel I have a handle on how it responds. It's coming up to my favourite time of year, when misty mornings combine with later sunrise times (!)
Yes, I agree about the battery grip. I bought the grip at the time I purchased both my K10D and my K-3. They just do not feel right when they don't have the grip attached. Plus I feel more confident having an extra battery on board.

10-06-2014, 07:17 PM   #740
Veteran Member

A few from my K10D and Cosmicar 28mm Prime

And one with the old school Kit Lens

A few with the old Super Tak 55mm F1.8

Last edited by Stratman; 10-06-2014 at 07:28 PM.
10-06-2014, 07:52 PM   #741
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
Nothing wrong with either of those lenses....nor the K10D but that goes without saying!
10-06-2014, 08:03 PM   #742
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
Nothing wrong with either of those lenses....nor the K10D but that goes without saying!
i love that Cosmicar, it is probably the sharpest lens I own. And it is an "A" version, so works great with the camera.

10-06-2014, 10:36 PM   #743
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i love that Cosmicar, it is probably the sharpest lens I own. And it is an "A" version, so works great with the camera.
Very nice set, esp like the caterpillar!

Last edited by paulh; 10-06-2014 at 10:42 PM.
10-07-2014, 12:26 AM - 2 Likes   #744
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Great Tiger Moth Air Race was held locally (well, almost) last weekend (October 4-5). There were no access restrictions at the private airfield from where they started and finished. Here are a few samples taken with the K10D:

Some more here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rayallen/sets/72157648393218665/

Warning: Only Day 2 images were taken with K10D. Others with K-3.
10-07-2014, 12:56 AM   #745
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
Warning: Only Day 2 images were taken with K10D. Others with K-3.
Ray, I was genuinely floored by the difference between the K10D and K-3 shots. The K-3 makes everything look so flat and two-dimensional compared to the richness and 3D depth you captured with the K10D. I don't know how much of the difference is down to different light conditions on the two days, but I'm guessing most of it is genuinely caused by the two cameras.

I'm very aware of the risk of observer bias, and it would be great if you could give us some shots taken with both cameras but without saying which is which. Would I still think the K10D gives better results in a blind test?

Great shots of some beautiful aircraft, and based on this evidence it looks like the K10D wipes the floor with the K-3 at ISO100.

Last edited by Dartmoor Dave; 10-07-2014 at 01:05 AM.
10-07-2014, 01:18 AM   #746
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Ray, I was genuinely floored by the difference between the K10D and K-3 shots. The K-3 makes everything look so flat and two-dimensional compared to the richness and 3D depth you captured with the K10D. I don't know how much of the difference is down to different light conditions on the two days, but I'm guessing most of it is genuinely caused by the two cameras.

I'm very aware of the risk of observer bias, and it would be great if you could give us some shots taken with both cameras but without saying which is which. Would I still think the K10D gives better results in a blind test?

Great shots of some beautiful aircraft, and based on this evidence it looks like the K10D wipes the floor with the K-3 at ISO100.
Dave, that is an interesting observation that I had not noticed. The time of day (much earlier on day 2 - but that's another story!) and different weather conditions could have had an effect. It could also be the difference between CCD and CMOS sensors. Different lenses were used as well. I can't provide comparison images from those days but I would be prepared to create such images under identical conditions. I guess the best way is to use the same settings and to provide just resized jpegs with no PP and no EXIF. Suggestions welcomed.

Reason for different time of day: The airfield is about an hour's drive from home. On Saturday we arrived at 9:30 AM as we were told that was when the first take-off would occur but when we got there they had all gone. We then enquired when take-off would occur on Sunday and made sure we would be there well in advance. We arrived about 7:00 AM and some of the pilots were still asleep in their tents. The light was much better at that hour.

Last edited by rayallen; 10-07-2014 at 01:41 AM.
10-07-2014, 03:19 AM   #747
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks Ray, a straight comparison between the K10D and K-3 with the same lens would be a big help with my own present dilemma. I'm very attracted by the extra resolution that is clearly visible in your Tiger Moth shots with the K-3, but I'd hate to think that I had to sacrifice colour rendering to get it.

I guess I want to have my cake and eat it: I feel a strong need for the extra sharpness and resolution of the latest AA-filterless sensors, but my eyes are so tuned in to the film-like rendering of the old CCD cameras that I couldn't bear to lose that in exchange.

Dave
10-08-2014, 12:50 AM   #748
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have to say I don't see much difference in sharpness between the third K10 picure above and the best of the K3 shots.I accept the extra pixels will be significant for large printing and cropping. I like the K10 colours more but as stated, times of day can play a big part.

I post more on the UK forum and someone there said the K3 is the nearest he's got in terms of colour to a K10.

Either way, some good quality shots from both cameras.

---------- Post added 10-08-14 at 08:58 AM ----------

Good shots there, I partcularly like the catterpillar.

Just of out curiosity, are you called Stratman because you own a Fender Stratocaster?

Last edited by RussV; 10-08-2014 at 01:00 AM.
10-08-2014, 02:24 AM   #749
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Thanks Ray, a straight comparison between the K10D and K-3 with the same lens would be a big help with my own present dilemma. I'm very attracted by the extra resolution that is clearly visible in your Tiger Moth shots with the K-3, but I'd hate to think that I had to sacrifice colour rendering to get it.

I guess I want to have my cake and eat it: I feel a strong need for the extra sharpness and resolution of the latest AA-filterless sensors, but my eyes are so tuned in to the film-like rendering of the old CCD cameras that I couldn't bear to lose that in exchange.

Dave
OK, Dave, leave it with me. I will try to be a scientific as I can to come up with a genuine comparison.
10-08-2014, 02:55 AM   #750

Hi K10D fans,
some really cool stuff here, thank you all for posting them. anyway Im not a K10D owner yet but maybe I will I would like to dive into photography for some time and now just having an opportunity to take my hands on a K10D with 5k expo and 18-55 DA for like 200 bucks. Overall good condition. Do you think is it worth it? Will be my first DSLR.
Thanks for your help!