Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12503 Likes Search this Thread
12-28-2014, 03:08 PM   #871
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is a shot I managed to get real quick right after I installed my new 90mm Tamaron 2.8 SP DI Macro on my trusty old K10D. My dog does still too often so I got lucky. Not really any post processing. Pretty much a straight jpeg export from Lightroom.

12-29-2014, 04:03 AM   #872
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great shot, good bokeh and beautiful dog!
12-29-2014, 06:07 AM   #873
Inactive Account

I still love the K10D, I have 2; one auto focus' nicely and the other is mainly used for manual focus lenses and can't stand the thought of parting with either. I consider the images produced by the K10 superb and still reigns unbeatable at ISO100 as far as "smoothness" of finished image. Here are couple older ones using a K10D and that "cheap" Kit lens.

DA 50-200/4.0-5.6

Fly Me to the Moon
by theunartist, on Flickr

DA 18-55/3.5-5.6

The Fab Ms. M
by theunartist, on Flickr
12-29-2014, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #874
Pentaxian

I don't want to be a party pooper here Rick, but those gals would look great even if you used a Coolpix 3100.

12-30-2014, 07:46 AM   #875
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
I don't want to be a party pooper here Rick, but those gals would look great even if you used a Coolpix 3100.
The secrets out!
12-30-2014, 10:27 AM   #876
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
01-01-2015, 08:34 PM   #877
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I must admit I was wrong. I had replied to members that I had no interest, nor would I ever use a grip. Well I just got another mint K10D that came with the grip! All I have to say is, I Love It!! Granted it makes for a heavier outfit, but that's the only negative I can say about it. With my Tokina 400 mm lens, it makes an awesome package!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
01-01-2015, 10:21 PM   #878
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Well, I must admit I was wrong. I had replied to members that I had no interest, nor would I ever use a grip. Well I just got another mint K10D that came with the grip! All I have to say is, I Love It!! Granted it makes for a heavier outfit, but that's the only negative I can say about it. With my Tokina 400 mm lens, it makes an awesome package!
Congrats on a nice outfit! I'm still coming to grips with my grip . I've tried it a few times, but can't seem to warm up to it. It is nice to have that extra battery power on hand if needed, but something about it doesn't agree with me. Maybe if I used some larger lenses with it...? I'll keep experimenting.

Just a casual shot at sundown while walking the dogs one evening last Spring. K10D & Sigma 17-70 DC macro:
01-01-2015, 10:46 PM   #879
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My first impression of the grip is how nice it feels when holding the camera with this large lens. I've definitely done a complete turnaround on grips. Ok, all those that said I didn't know what I was missing, step forward!
01-02-2015, 02:37 AM   #880
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
My first impression of the grip is how nice it feels when holding the camera with this large lens. I've definitely done a complete turnaround on grips. Ok, all those that said I didn't know what I was missing, step forward!
Hmmm. . . you've got me thinking now. Maybe a grip is exactly what my big clumsy hands need. I've always seemed to be able to hold a big heavy camera steadier than a light small one. Have you found that the grip makes hand-held shooting more stable with small light lenses as well as huge telephotos?

Here's a shot that pretty much sums up the weather around here for the past couple of months:

Hopefully the snow will arrive soon. I love shooting in snow.
01-02-2015, 06:24 AM   #881
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Congrats on a nice outfit! I'm still coming to grips with my grip . I've tried it a few times, but can't seem to warm up to it. It is nice to have that extra battery power on hand if needed, but something about it doesn't agree with me. Maybe if I used some larger lenses with it...? I'll keep experimenting.
It's simple. Go out and shoot portrait orientation for a week. No matter how good you are at bending your wrist to hold the camera vertical, the grip will sell itself to you based on comfort (and the number of shots you can get without changing batteries).
P.S. even with a small lens like my beloved DA21 Ltd.
01-02-2015, 08:43 AM   #882
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Hmmm. . . you've got me thinking now. Maybe a grip is exactly what my big clumsy hands need. I've always seemed to be able to hold a big heavy camera steadier than a light small one. Have you found that the grip makes hand-held shooting more stable with small light lenses as well as huge telephotos?
The BG-2 grip gives the K10D a big camera feel. It adds a little weight and it feels good in my long fingered hands. I'm so old school I forget about the extra vertical buttons. The battery tray also holds an extra SD card and a Pentax Remote Control F. You can find them for US $50-60 in excellent condition.

Nice image of the moors.
01-02-2015, 08:59 AM   #883
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
The battery tray also holds an extra SD card and a Pentax Remote Control F.

Oh boy, now I'm REALLY close to going on the auction site and bidding on a grip. Do you know if I could set the camera up to save raw to the in-camera SD card plus jpeg to the extra card in the grip? That would be awesome, and for me it would make the grip a must-have.
01-02-2015, 09:18 AM   #884
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do you know if I could set the camera up to save raw to the in-camera SD card plus jpeg to the extra card in the grip?
Nope, it's just storage. Cameras with that feature have two slots in the body.
01-02-2015, 09:22 AM   #885
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh boy, now I'm REALLY close to going on the auction site and bidding on a grip. Do you know if I could set the camera up to save raw to the in-camera SD card plus jpeg to the extra card in the grip? That would be awesome, and for me it would make the grip a must-have.
The grip only provides a storage slot for an extra card, not a way for the camera to write to the card (although that would be awesome!). If you fill up the card in the camera you need to remove the full card from the camera, remove the battery/card/remote tray from the grip, and then swap the memory cards. Even so, I still really like having the grip on my camera. I've not yet needed the extra card or the remote, but I have them available if necessary.

(edit: Oops, Steve beat me to it)