Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12503 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2015, 05:06 AM   #991
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Lots of drama in that tree shot. Excellent stuff.

I don't know if the camera's meter tends to underexpose, because I usually incident meter. But I'm fairly sure that the stated ISO settings are somewhat on the. . . shall we say. . . optimistic side. If my incident meter (Sekonic L-308S) gives an exposure of 1/125 at f/8 at ISO 100, and I transfer those settings straight to the camera, I'll get a photograph that's at least half a stop underexposed. My guess is that ISO100 is actually more like ISO64 (aaah. . . Kodachrome. . . ).

In the real world it's no big deal: I just mentally compensate by half a stop when I transfer the meter reading to the camera. And you could argue that it's a good idea for the camera to tend towards underexposure, to avoid blowing the highlights.
Ah interesting. Well that fits with what I've experienced. Shaking my head at the histogram being always to the left.

Last edited by tromboads; 02-02-2015 at 05:33 AM.
02-02-2015, 02:43 PM   #992
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
Ah interesting. Well that fits with what I've experienced. Shaking my head at the histogram being always to the left.
I would not worry too much about that. I tried the advice to use ETTR and found that I got images that were far too bright for my liking. So, I promptly discarded that theory.
02-04-2015, 01:18 PM   #993
Veteran Member

So the last few weeks has had me set with a 35mm f3.5 Super Tak, just because, and this too seems to allow me to further my love for line :P

Click
Clicked

Thank you K10 and old old glass. I do love how the first image impresses on me some long stemmed tulips. And in the second image, well I hope you let go and view it as you would a landscape from a plane flying over the countryside. :P
02-04-2015, 01:30 PM   #994
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
I would not worry too much about that. I tried the advice to use ETTR and found that I got images that were far too bright for my liking. So, I promptly discarded that theory.
The thing with ETTR is to back off the exposure in post and therefor having a lot more detail to work with. If underexposed and opened up in post you will have lost a lot of detail and introducing unwanted noise. If going for JPG this won't work.

02-04-2015, 02:18 PM   #995
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
The thing with ETTR is to back off the exposure in post and therefor having a lot more detail to work with. If underexposed and opened up in post you will have lost a lot of detail and introducing unwanted noise. If going for JPG this won't work.
Well, I never say never. I'll give it another try and see how I go. Thanks for the extra info.
02-04-2015, 02:47 PM   #996
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
Well, I never say never. I'll give it another try and see how I go. Thanks for the extra info.
I forgot if you already did not know; The key is to ETTR but NOT clip the highlights. Doing so will render the image with total white = no detail = not good.
02-04-2015, 03:44 PM   #997
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
I forgot if you already did not know; The key is to ETTR but NOT clip the highlights. Doing so will render the image with total white = no detail = not good.
Correct!

02-05-2015, 07:09 AM   #998
Inactive Account

K10D + Pentax A 100/2.8

Wood Head
by theunartist, on Flickr
02-12-2015, 09:32 AM   #999
Pentaxian

Yikes! The K10D Club has almost sunk off the bottom of page one under the weight of all the FF related jetsam. Thought I'd bump with some snaps.

Super Takumar 20mm:

Zenitar 16mm (de-fished):

And another Zenitar 16mm (de-fished):

I originally bought the Zenitar as a cheap stop-gap while I saved up for the Takumar 17mm, but the Zenitar is so good that I'm sticking with it for now.
02-12-2015, 09:50 AM   #1000
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yikes! The K10D Club has almost sunk off the bottom of page one under the weight of all the FF related jetsam. Thought I'd bump with some snaps.
Thanks for the bump Dave! Very nice images (as usual). I too was surprised how good the Zen 16 can be - I'll have to give de-fishing a try one of these days.
02-12-2015, 11:35 AM   #1001
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
I'll have to give de-fishing a try one of these days.

Thanks Paul. I use the PT Lens plug-in and it's well worth a try (there's a free trial version). Set the amount of de-fishing to 83 with the Zenitar and it leaves no trace that a fisheye was ever involved. It's also awesome at correcting chromatic aberration.
02-12-2015, 05:57 PM   #1002
Veteran Member

Wait.... they were shot with a Zenitar 16mm :S
02-13-2015, 02:44 AM   #1003
Pentaxian

Yep, the Zenitar 16mm: made out of melted-down statues of Lenin, and hand-crafted using only the finest hammers and pipe wrenches on the naked thighs of Russian grannies.
02-13-2015, 04:10 AM   #1004
Veteran Member

:P Just so we are clear.

Um yes that's impressive. That de-fish eye algorithm that is.
02-13-2015, 01:30 PM   #1005
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep, the Zenitar 16mm: made out of melted-down statues of Lenin, and hand-crafted using only the finest hammers and pipe wrenches on the naked thighs of Russian grannies.
I hadn't heard that. Might be worth getting one.