Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2015, 12:33 AM   #1021
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Fantastic Ray! Love the red Pontiac convertible. That last one looks like about a '66 or '67 Dodge or Plymouth of some kind. A neighbor is doing a restoration of one just like this - I'll prob. show him your photo to inspire him a bit
Thank you, Paul. That car started life as a Chrysler Valiant hard top. The owner and his son converted it to a convertible. It is a custom job - a one-off! As you can see, the paint work is faultless. Three coats which he did himself. Absolutely beautiful.

02-15-2015, 02:10 AM   #1022
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
The K10D Club has almost sunk off the bottom of page one under the weight of all the FF related jetsam
Aye that's because we've all been waiting for the FF longer than I've owned my K10D (2008).
02-15-2015, 01:52 PM   #1023

Still Trying out the K10D!!!

Went out to Crowsnest Mountain & Crowsnest Lake today with the K10D with the 28-80mm Lens and - F6.7 Ev -1/2 on AV then ACR with Detail set like this --->>> Amount: 100, Radius: 1.0, Detail: 28, Masking: 10.

For now the Jury is still out on my ability to succeed with the K10D or even Regular Cameras after so long with Infrared

Cheers for years
Colin
02-15-2015, 03:15 PM   #1024
Pentaxian

If nothing else, colin, you have access to some nice scenery!

That one looks less grainy / over processed than the previous. Im at work though, and so only viewing on my phone.

02-15-2015, 03:18 PM   #1025
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's a fine looking image Colin. I think you've go it.
02-15-2015, 03:24 PM   #1026
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some nice scenery there Agree with the others, this is looking pretty good. You might try stopping down to f/8 or even smaller & check if that improves sharpness. Some of those old zooms, and even the 18-55 kit lens start to shine around f/8.
02-15-2015, 03:42 PM   #1027
Pentaxian

It's hard to tell for sure at web size, but the sharpness looks better than the previous shot. Remember that those input sharpening settings are just the place where I personally start out from, and there's always some tweaking required. I don't know if there's a touch of noise in the sky, or if it's just from the compression to web size.

I notice that you haven't set white and black points in your raw conversion, which is the most basic thing that you absolutely MUST do. Use the "Levels" option in whatever software you use. Here's the levels dialog from Photoshop Elements 12 for your actual shot:

You can see from the histogram that it's slightly underexposed because everything is shifted to the left, but the crucial thing is that the far left isn't off the scale, so you haven't crushed the blacks. So it's actually a pretty good exposure to work with and I've left the black point at 0.

The big hump in the middle of the histogram is the main tonal range of the photograph, but you can see that there's a little block on its own towards the right. That's the very bright tones in the mountain. By moving the slider down to 233 at the upper edge of that block, I've set the white point so that the brightest tones in the mountain are just below clipping.

So that's the white and black points set, and for every single shot you need to do this by moving those two sliders to the left and right ends of the histogram.

For your particular shot you can see that I also raised the gamma setting in the middle to 1.03 to lift the middle tones slightly, and increased the black output level to 7 to lift the shadows. That was just personal taste.

Please understand that I'm most definitely not trying to present myself as some kind of expert here, because I'm sure as heck not. But I think you've got a really good natural eye for a photograph, and if this is any help at all then I'm happy.

02-15-2015, 04:13 PM   #1028

Thank you all

saladin

I took the f11 down to F6.7 and EV down to -1/2 could possibly be one of th changes so far.

I was tempted to stop @ F8 but went to F6.7 to see what would happen

Dartmoor Dave

Yep started with the settings you use. Which for me was a great start BECAUSE I am a MAJOR Beginner here. Will look @ photos once ythis knot in my stomach disappears hehehe. Curious though HOW do I include Exif data???

Yep there may be noise in the sky as I did not use Topaz De-Noise at all this time.

Black & White Points - Have never used them but I believe I used Photoshop Auto Level this time too. Have seen that Graphic for levels but have never been really game to try it.

And this --->>> The big hump in the middle of the histogram is the main tonal range of the photograph, but you can see that there's a little block on its own towards the right. That's the very bright tones in the mountain. By moving the slider down to 233 at the upper edge of that block, I've set the white point so that the brightest tones in the mountain are just below clipping. --->>> as much I can understand it - using it is a ???.

And have read about moving sliders though.

Gamma setting is another story though???

Not being a "Hands on Post Processor" often using default whatever is hindering my Learning curve to the Point of once again considering a camera with much better Image Quality like the K-x (82 Vs 66 via Snapsort)

Still early days yet though

Cheers for years
Colin

02-15-2015, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #1029
Veteran Member

Also shout out to the K10's out there :P

In your bag No: 1124 - Dan - Japan Camera Hunter
02-15-2015, 06:16 PM   #1030
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
Also shout out to the K10's out there :P

In your bag No: 1124 - Dan - Japan Camera Hunter

A K10D plus two of the best Taks. . . and an apple. What more could any photographer ever want?
02-15-2015, 06:19 PM   #1031
Veteran Member

My thoughts exactly.
02-18-2015, 10:29 PM   #1032
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A shot from the dogpark tonight where we met Samson & his owner. K10D & DAL 50-200, wide open (xposted to Pets):
02-19-2015, 12:59 AM   #1033
Veteran Member

And while we are in a people mood.

Self

Thank you K10 and 55mm Super Tak.

This was created in response to this dude and his ever growing monthly series'

DEDPXL08 :: Moody B&W · DEDPXL

Fun times :P

VIVE la K10
02-19-2015, 10:55 AM   #1034

paulh

Love that pic - both seem to be engrossed in the moment eh???

Thought I would share one from Tuesday this week as the roads had cleared up so got to a Place I had not visited in B.C. - Jaffray
And as always I just love to at times "Over Saturate"

Cheers for years Colin
02-24-2015, 04:59 PM   #1035
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some snaps from the dogpark with a K10D & DAL 50-200 (xposted)

Last edited by paulh; 02-24-2015 at 05:08 PM.