Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2015, 08:50 AM   #1051
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
Remember sucking at something is the first step at getting better :P

Most things I ever tried, I sucked at the start and kept on sucking.

But you know, you've just reminded me that I actually have got a couple of cheapo wireless triggers that I bought on the bay of evil over a year ago. I was planning on giving flash a try, but then chickened out and the triggers have been in a drawer ever since. I think maybe I'll take your advice and give it a whirl.

Won't be using myself as a model though. The internet couldn't cope with that level of horror !

03-05-2015, 02:21 PM   #1052
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Most things I ever tried, I sucked at the start and kept on sucking.

But you know, you've just reminded me that I actually have got a couple of cheapo wireless triggers that I bought on the bay of evil over a year ago. I was planning on giving flash a try, but then chickened out and the triggers have been in a drawer ever since. I think maybe I'll take your advice and give it a whirl.

Won't be using myself as a model though. The internet couldn't cope with that level of horror !

NONSENSE!

The Internet can handle it
03-09-2015, 05:16 PM - 1 Like   #1053
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Doc's first snow, just a few days ago. K10D & DAL 50-200 again (xposted):
03-11-2015, 04:26 PM   #1054

Hi,
A friend of mine has a K10D and asked me to take a look at it. When you turn it to the on position, it does nothing. If you go to the next position, which feels like a momentary switch, the camera chirps and hums, the display turns on and then it goes dead again. Any ideas what this might be? She loves the camera and I'd like to get it working for her again if possible.

Thanks
Ken

03-11-2015, 05:32 PM   #1055
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by avallk Quote
Hi,
A friend of mine has a K10D and asked me to take a look at it. When you turn it to the on position, it does nothing. If you go to the next position, which feels like a momentary switch, the camera chirps and hums, the display turns on and then it goes dead again. Any ideas what this might be? She loves the camera and I'd like to get it working for her again if possible.

Thanks
Ken
After the on the position is the depth of field preview, it momentarily stops the aperture down. It may be possible that battery has died and no longer has power to turn the camera on fully. One a rechargeable battery gets old even fully charged it may not have enough power to turn the camera on. I would also try another lens on the camera.
03-12-2015, 02:22 AM   #1056
Pentaxian

Hi, A friend of mine has a K10D and asked me to take a look at it. When you turn it to the on position, it does nothing. If you go to the next position, which feels like a momentary switch, the camera chirps and hums, the display turns on and then it goes dead again. Any ideas what this might be? She loves the camera and I'd like to get it working for her again if possible. Thanks Ken

Yes indeed, the battery is a likely source of the problem. Replacement batteries can be picked up cheaply on a certain well know auction site, so it's worth a try.

Other than that, it could be a mechanical fault with the on/off switch. And it would probably be cheaper to buy a replacement K10D than pay to get it fixed.

If you're technically adept, you could remove the camera's cover and check the on/off switch with a multimeter. And if that is the problem, you could buy a "spares or repair" camera and try to swap the on/off switches yourself. Personally, I think it's more hassle than I'd bother with myself though.

Last edited by Dartmoor Dave; 03-12-2015 at 02:29 AM.
03-12-2015, 09:24 AM   #1057

Yes indeed, the battery is a likely source of the problem. Replacement batteries can be picked up cheaply on a certain well know auction site, so it's worth a try.

Other than that, it could be a mechanical fault with the on/off switch. And it would probably be cheaper to buy a replacement K10D than pay to get it fixed.

If you're technically adept, you could remove the camera's cover and check the on/off switch with a multimeter. And if that is the problem, you could buy a "spares or repair" camera and try to swap the on/off switches yourself. Personally, I think it's more hassle than I'd bother with myself though.
Thanks, I ordered a new battery to see if that resolves the problem. If not, then I will take a look at seeing what can be done for fixing the switch.

03-12-2015, 10:10 AM   #1058
Pentaxian

Thanks, I ordered a new battery to see if that resolves the problem. If not, then I will take a look at seeing what can be done for fixing the switch.

Please let us know how it all turns out. If you do decide to dive into the camera's guts, the service manual can be downloaded here: Downloads

Password 8639 should work.
03-14-2015, 06:09 AM   #1059
Veteran Member

So turns out Umbrellas are cool, Tea is usually hot.

This was shot at about 11pm but with some cheap light modifiers, aka a shoot through white umbrella, I can now have it looking like an early to mid morning afternoon :P

A sotbox is on order, looking forward to comparing the quality of light between the two.

Again mighty K10 of course with my trusty ol' fav Super Tak 55mm
03-15-2015, 05:02 PM   #1060

I love my K10, but it's been used somewhat rarely over the last couple of years in favor of laziness and power zoom P&S. The problem I have with my K10 is the noisy high iso images, the focus hunting with indoor shots, and a few other things. So in the resent past, I end up just grabbing my G1x or other P&S camera. A short time back I got a K5IIs for under $500. and I'm pleased to say that I'm into my SLR again. Just this morning I was looking for some pics from a few years back, and I came across a session of K10/Sigma 18~50 shots, and I was taken aback of the IQ I found.

In all fairness I'd need to do the same sort of shoot with the same lens on my IIs, as to get an absolute opinion, but for now I'd be dishonest if I were to say the K5IIs looks better.

First thing that popped into my head was Kodachrome, as I gazed at these K10 pics. I then pulled up some K5 pics from last week(same sort of stuff, outdoors flowers), and the thing that popped into my head was sort of bland $3. walmart film look.

Don't get me wrong! The K5IIs is a better camera in almost every way. But at iso 100 in daylight, the k10 is very hard to beat! Also I'm sure a lot of the IQ can be brought back in PP, but some of it can't, like the creamy looking to of focus areas of the K10. There sooooooo rich, it reminds me of my pics with Kodachrome and my Contax RTSII. I just don't see it with my K5IIs. What I do get with my K5 is no more highlight clipping(thats so nice).

But I love both camera's, and I'm glad I waited as long as I did for a K10 replacement.

Pics from K10D
Attached Images

03-15-2015, 05:27 PM   #1061

And some from the K5IIs. These are how they came out of camera. I know they could get a bunch better in PP, but my point is that the K10 seems to need very little PP, as they look great out of camera.
Attached Images

03-16-2015, 12:55 AM   #1062
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BennyBoy Quote
First thing that popped into my head was Kodachrome, as I gazed at these K10 pics. I then pulled up some K5 pics from last week(same sort of stuff, outdoors flowers), and the thing that popped into my head was sort of bland $3. walmart film look.

I think these shots show exactly why so many of us refuse to give up on the K10D, at least at ISO100. It would be funny to see the howls of outrage you'd get if you posted those same comparison shots in a K-5 specific thread.

Looking forward to seeing more of your K10D work.
03-16-2015, 04:46 AM   #1063
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by BennyBoy Quote
Yes, Kodachrome died completely several years ago with the closure of the last processor. The Kodachrome look has ended with the discontinuation of the CCD sensor. We're lucky that that Pentax built the K10D's so well and that we will be able to retain that look for a while.
03-16-2015, 07:04 AM   #1064

I think these shots show exactly why so many of us refuse to give up on the K10D, at least at ISO100. It would be funny to see the howls of outrage you'd get if you posted those same comparison shots in a K-5 specific thread.

Looking forward to seeing more of your K10D work.
It may be a long wait, as I really enjoy the workings of the IIs. Part of my reason for putting the K10 on the back shelf was the long list of shortcomings.

I can get most of what I like from the K10, by PP the IIs images. I do not see anyway to capture the creamy out of focus look of the K10, IMO, that is a CCD thing, and I don't believe a CMOS can achieve that signature CCD look.

I wish Pentax would have been the only holdouts, and continued to push CCD development. It could have really set them apart from all others.
03-16-2015, 07:46 AM   #1065
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice ones BennyBoy - hope you'll be able to share more with us one day! Yes, the K10D imparts a warmer look than what you see from a CMOS sensor. You can probably replicate that somewhat by warming up the WB on your K5 images (as you probably know).
Here's a random K10 shot, taken with an SMC A35/2.8 wide-open:

Another with the same lens:

Last edited by paulh; 03-16-2015 at 08:13 AM.