Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2015, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #1066
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
HI me again. :P

So in the every passing joy that is the world of light modifiers, I went and got myself a $30 softbox from Ebay. It measures a humble 24" x 24" and seems to be a nice quick easy light source in my small office / studio / practise room / computer room :P

Just because of it's shape, it is easier to fiddle with over an umbrella, where an umbrella would run fowl of the light light fittings / ceiling, one would get an extra bit of height and angle because it was a square and a little shorter on it's ends.

Click 1 for mug shot
Click 2 for, what was that, The K10 Rocks? aww yeah
Click 3 for turning to the right

Now i cheated a little bit and used the reflective umbrella down under my aimed up toward the face to help colour in the shadows slightly. I did take some more "science" shots, but they are even more boring then these.

Long story short, Equipment to make yourself feel like a super star.

1 x $30 ebay softbox
1 x reflecting device
1 x ye old Digital camera
1 x ye old dirt filled dirty dirty dirty old nearly broken 55mm Super Tak
1 x tripod
1 x evening free to play in the office :P

Along with the K10 I used a AF200T on 1/8 power, iso 100, shutter 125th (cheap Chinese triggers wont sync correctly at 180th, but 125th is more then enough to kill the ambient in my office) and I believe it was f4'ish

Subject was 1.5m away, softbox was above and about 70cm away, background was about 80cm away

Easy peasy!

Just look at that lack of shadow on the wall close behind. Look at that mostly smooth light all over me face. Brilliant :P

I'm going to move this into the kitchen and see how much of a torso one can light with a few cheap umbrellas and a 24" softbox..

03-17-2015, 01:34 AM - 2 Likes   #1067
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
HI me again. :P

Great stuff. With this latest batch you've really raised your lighting to a whole new level. It's a fascinating project to follow, and awesome when you think of the tiny total cost of the equipment involved.

On the subject of cheap equipment, here's a test shot from my first walk out with an ancient Palinar 200mm preset that I picked up for £5 on a local market (no, I've never heard of that brand either). It seems quite useable for an uncoated lump of metal and glass that must be at least 50 years old, and didn't look like it had been cleaned in that whole time.

03-17-2015, 02:12 AM   #1068
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
It would be funny to see the howls of outrage you'd get if you posted those same comparison shots in a K-5 specific thread.
Go on BennyBoy do it just for devilment, we wont tell what your up to.
03-17-2015, 02:29 AM   #1069
Veteran Member

Great stuff. With this latest batch you've really raised your lighting to a whole new level. It's a fascinating project to follow, and awesome when you think of the tiny total cost of the equipment involved.
Cheers, and yes, it's probably the best thing, well it's the piece of equipment (cheap softbox) that will make the most difference to any portrait style photo I'll ever make.

On the subject of cheap equipment, here's a test shot from my first walk out with an ancient Palinar 200mm preset that I picked up for £5 on a local market (no, I've never heard of that brand either). It seems quite useable for an uncoated lump of metal and glass that must be at least 50 years old, and didn't look like it had been cleaned in that whole time.
you paid 5pounds for it? Money well spent. And I must say, perhaps it's careful colour control but your images have a nice cast about them for lack of a better word. Your images certainly are identifiable within this thread.

Happy Picture making

03-17-2015, 05:44 AM   #1070

Please let us know how it all turns out. If you do decide to dive into the camera's guts, the service manual can be downloaded here: Downloads

Password 8639 should work.
Battery didn't solve the problem. Will see if I can find some time to be adventurous and dig into the camera. She says she has another lens that I am going to try as well. Seems to be a nice camera - if it worked.
03-17-2015, 06:10 AM   #1071
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by BennyBoy Quote
I do not see anyway to capture the creamy out of focus look of the K10
But isn't the "creamy out of focus look" more a function of the lens and aperture blades than the camera?
03-17-2015, 12:10 PM   #1072
Pentaxian

And I must say, perhaps it's careful colour control but your images have a nice cast about them for lack of a better word.

Thanks Dan. I prefer to think of it as careful colour management, in that I custom colour profile all my lenses and try very hard to preserve the look of the ambient light in the end result. But I know that many people would consider my shots to have colour casts because they aren't auto white balanced into submission.

03-18-2015, 06:29 AM   #1073
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Long story short, Equipment to make yourself feel like a super star.
Useful stuff! I'm a complete idiot when it comes to flash, so I'll be following your exploits closely

Another with the A35/2.8:
03-18-2015, 03:31 PM   #1074
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

That picture has a 3d look about it!
03-18-2015, 03:42 PM   #1075
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
HI me again. :P So in the every passing joy that is the world of light modifiers, I went and got myself a $30 softbox from Ebay. It measures a humble 24" x 24" and seems to be a nice quick easy light source in my small office / studio / practise room / computer room :P Just because of it's shape, it is easier to fiddle with over an umbrella, where an umbrella would run fowl of the light light fittings / ceiling, one would get an extra bit of height and angle because it was a square and a little shorter on it's ends. Click 1 for mug shot Click 2 for, what was that, The K10 Rocks? aww yeah Click 3 for turning to the right
Excellent stuff - I really need to get one of those now :P

Superb rendering - sharp where it should be, smooth and blurry where its pleasing, nice colours - I say you got much more than you've paid for :P
03-18-2015, 04:02 PM   #1076
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dartmore Dave; what a great photo! Really a bad hair day for the ponies!

I love how their manes are swept in the same direction, the sharpness on the ponies is wonderful! I agree with another member, that this looks like 3D!
03-19-2015, 01:08 AM   #1077
Pentaxian

Thanks guys. 200mm feels like a hugely long focal length to me, since the longest I usually carry is a 55mm, but you've convinced me to persevere with it.

It's a Palinar 200mm/4.5 if anyone is considering looking for one. It's a preset design that uses the original T Mount, so it's very easy to convert to K mount. Here's a quick snap of the actual lens:

03-19-2015, 01:16 AM   #1078
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's a Palinar 200mm/4.5 if anyone is considering looking for one. It's a preset design that uses the original T Mount, so it's very easy to convert to K mount. Here's a quick snap of the actual lens:
I am all for weirdly branded lenses - and those pre-set ones are usually have multitude of aperture blades - so another reason to keep it would be this beautiful bokeh that you get from it even when stopped down !
03-19-2015, 01:25 AM   #1079
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
I am all for weirdly branded lenses - and those pre-set ones are usually have multitude of aperture blades - so another reason to keep it would be this beautiful bokeh that you get from it even when stopped down !

Yes. I haven't counted the aperture blades, but the aperture is a smooth circle at all stops, so there must be quite a few.
03-19-2015, 07:30 AM   #1080
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Question on the K10D. Despite trying all three (Auto, Select, Center) Focus modes on the back dial; with landscape pictures, no matter where I focus (using Select) right now, it will not lock into focus. Finally I do find a spot where it will; but am wondering why this happens.