Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2015, 12:32 AM   #1081
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Despite trying all three (Auto, Select, Center) Focus modes on the back dial; with landscape pictures, no matter where I focus (using Select) right now, it will not lock into focus.

Does this happen with one particular lens or with all your lenses? I'm no expert on autofocus since I never use it, but logically if it's just one lens then it could be a problem with decentring.

Try taking a shot of something like a fence or a line of trees from far enough away for focus to be at infinity. Then look at the photo at 100% on your monitor and compare the sharpness at both far sides of the frame. If one side is soft, your lens is decentred, which I imagine would cause the autofocus system some confusion.

Having made that one forced excursion into the world of pixel peeping, never ever go there again if you value your photographic soul.

03-20-2015, 07:06 AM   #1082
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It happens with all my lenses at one time or another. It just seems that it cannot lock onto focus when I'm focusing. When I focus on a point, the shutter button will not respond. BTW, this happens with both my K10's also. Again, this only happens with landscapes, it seems. Must be a quirk with the auto focusing; but I'm hoping someone can explain or offer a solution.
03-20-2015, 08:35 AM - 3 Likes   #1083
Pentaxian

I almost gave the 200mm a run out again this morning because we had a partial eclipse of the sun, but in the end I decided to go wide with the Super Takumar 20mm instead. That thing that looks like the crescent moon is the sun.

(Xposted in the Takumar Club)
03-21-2015, 12:55 AM   #1084
Veteran Member

Thats fantastic. Man it looks positively surreal.

03-21-2015, 07:21 AM   #1085
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It happens with all my lenses at one time or another. It just seems that it cannot lock onto focus when I'm focusing. When I focus on a point, the shutter button will not respond. BTW, this happens with both my K10's also. Again, this only happens with landscapes, it seems. Must be a quirk with the auto focusing; but I'm hoping someone can explain or offer a solution.
Anyone else have an opinion? Eventually it will lock & focus, but very irritating to try multiple places before it will lock on.
03-21-2015, 08:01 AM   #1086
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone else have an opinion? Eventually it will lock & focus, but very irritating to try multiple places before it will lock on.
It could be that your AF isn't finding a high contrast target to lock on to? I haven't had any problems with my K10D, using centerpoint focus/recompose method. You could try using the rear AF button, as discussed in this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/38-photographic-technique/236970-perfect-...ml#post3193478

Basically, you are decoupling the AF from the shutter button, instead using the half-press shutter for metering, and full press to take the shot. Many users are having good success with the rear AF button method (which I plan on trying out myself).
03-21-2015, 08:39 AM   #1087
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Paul! Your idea of a high contrast target to lock on to; may very well be the problem. I'll also try the other method you mentioned.

Thanks again!

03-21-2015, 08:42 AM   #1088

Could you not just focus manually? Like folks have done for close to 100 years.
03-21-2015, 08:52 AM   #1089
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BennyBoy Quote
Could you not just focus manually? Like folks have done for close to 100 years.
Really? You mean these new fangled cameras can actually focus manually? Wow! Hadn't heard of that!

Skipping the sarcasm, I prefer auto focus, because my eyesight isn't as good as it used to be! Just my preference. I was just asking because I didn't know why the focus would not lock at times, Paul graciously answered my question.
03-31-2015, 11:58 PM - 1 Like   #1090
Veteran Member

Wow there! we nearly off the front page!

I'm getting pumped for a Brass Band contest this Easter in Sydney.

Rock n Roll!

T'was a Super Tak 35mm @ 3.5 with a 24" lightbox to the subjects left.
04-01-2015, 12:40 AM   #1091
Pentaxian

Cool shot: big brass with attitude. I can see your whole band wanting their portraits taken after they've seen that one.

I haven't shot a single frame in nearly two weeks now. Hoping to get outside sometime today to try out the Helios 44M that I picked up on the local market yesterday for £10 (with a fully working Zenit body attached).
04-01-2015, 02:10 AM   #1092
Veteran Member

fingers crossed for that Helios of yours. I miss mine thinking of it now...

And Yes, can not say enough, soft boxes are great.
04-08-2015, 09:04 AM   #1093
Pentaxian

Oh boy, that Helios 44-M is a disappointment. It works fine, but it's just so. . . blah. For both sharpness and rendering, my Super Takumar 55mm/2.0 can beat it blindfolded and with both hands tied behind its back, while riding a pogo stick. I guess you can't expect miracles from every cheap old lens that you pick up on the market.
04-08-2015, 09:54 AM   #1094
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K10D with an A35/2.8 at f/3.5:
04-09-2015, 02:56 AM   #1095
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Oh boy, that Helios 44-M is a disappointment. It works fine, but it's just so. . . blah. For both sharpness and rendering, my Super Takumar 55mm/2.0 can beat it blindfolded and with both hands tied behind its back, while riding a pogo stick. I guess you can't expect miracles from every cheap old lens that you pick up on the market.
I'm not surprised, those lens were cheap even when new! A Takuma is in a different league.