Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2016, 07:52 AM   #1711
Pentaxian

Hello there,

It might be the wrong place to ask that, please if so let me know and I can delete the post.

I already have a K5 that I adore, and a couple of lenses, and my K5 is doing all the stuff (holidays, races, etc....) so I was wondering that after having checked it has a 48K shutter count, I might buy a second body just for fun (holidays, and so on, not racing related), and thought on the K10 because previously I've owned a K110D and I loved its colour rendition, then I moved to the K-r and now K5.

But I miss those colours that the CCD offered me, and nowadays you can get a K10 body for a low price. Also I'd like it to have a grip as I got used to that in my K5.

I've asked on the spanish forum saying that I am looking for a body like this one and got a great offer on a K10 and also on a K20 (both with grip and free shipping) and I can't decide. (price is the same)
I've read a lot about the bad rendition of the K10 at ISOs higher than 400, also the K20. I've read that the K20 is way much camera than the Ten.

But now I read this, check your photos and makes me wonder.
Can anyone bring some light into this, if possible?

I know the K20 was the natural upgrade of the K10 and also that it has a 15mpx photo sensor, and the K10 has it 10mpx.

My mainly purpose to use of the second body would be to save shoots to the K5, so let's say holidays, maybe birds sometime, and spotting sometime (rare), and also as a second body for racing meetings (as a portrait camera with the wonderful Pentax F 50mm f1.7 attached to its body or maybe the 50mm DA f1.8) and in some cases also as a second body to shoot at rally combining both cameras with different zooms/lenses, but that is not my main idea.

What do you guys think? I am affraid that even the K20 could be a better camera, won't give me those vivid colours that the K10 provides.

Thank you for any advices!

03-21-2016, 08:16 AM - 2 Likes   #1712
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by red5isalive Quote
Hello there,

It might be the wrong place to ask that, please if so let me know and I can delete the post.

I already have a K5 that I adore, and a couple of lenses, and my K5 is doing all the stuff (holidays, races, etc....) so I was wondering that after having checked it has a 48K shutter count, I might buy a second body just for fun (holidays, and so on, not racing related), and thought on the K10 because previously I've owned a K110D and I loved its colour rendition, then I moved to the K-r and now K5.

But I miss those colours that the CCD offered me, and nowadays you can get a K10 body for a low price. Also I'd like it to have a grip as I got used to that in my K5.

I've asked on the spanish forum saying that I am looking for a body like this one and got a great offer on a K10 and also on a K20 (both with grip and free shipping) and I can't decide. (price is the same)
I've read a lot about the bad rendition of the K10 at ISOs higher than 400, also the K20. I've read that the K20 is way much camera than the Ten.

But now I read this, check your photos and makes me wonder.
Can anyone bring some light into this, if possible?

I know the K20 was the natural upgrade of the K10 and also that it has a 15mpx photo sensor, and the K10 has it 10mpx.

My mainly purpose to use of the second body would be to save shoots to the K5, so let's say holidays, maybe birds sometime, and spotting sometime (rare), and also as a second body for racing meetings (as a portrait camera with the wonderful Pentax F 50mm f1.7 attached to its body or maybe the 50mm DA f1.8) and in some cases also as a second body to shoot at rally combining both cameras with different zooms/lenses, but that is not my main idea.

What do you guys think? I am affraid that even the K20 could be a better camera, won't give me those vivid colours that the K10 provides.

Hey there,

Right now my main body is a K10D, and it was my first ever DSLR which I bought in 2014. I have got to say, I was in the same boat as you, K10D or K20D....which is better? What do I choose?

I watched tons of YouTube review videos, read forums, looked at pictures. I managed to get a very nice copy from a fellow forum member, the camera being under 2000 actuations with a MagicLantern guide and extra battery for $100, which was a steal at that time.

Anyway, I'm very happy with the sensor, the colors are beautiful and I'm very happy with it. Low-light performance is bad, unless a flash is used for snapshots. Long exposures look amazing. I would say go for the K10D because of the sensor, as the K20D has a different one and color rendition is a bit different. Here are a few pictures taken with the K10D, one in natural light, one with the built-in flash, and one long exposure. Also, note that I only use legacy glass (Takumar lenses) so I have no idea about the autofocus and how it works/compares to the K20D.

Daylight:

Long Exposure:

I know the sensor is dirty, just ignore that

With built-in flash:

03-21-2016, 08:46 AM   #1713
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hmirchev Quote
Hey there,

Right now my main body is a K10D, and it was my first ever DSLR which I bought in 2014. I have got to say, I was in the same boat as you, K10D or K20D....which is better? What do I choose?

I watched tons of YouTube review videos, read forums, looked at pictures. I managed to get a very nice copy from a fellow forum member, the camera being under 2000 actuations with a MagicLantern guide and extra battery for $100, which was a steal at that time.

Anyway, I'm very happy with the sensor, the colors are beautiful and I'm very happy with it. Low-light performance is bad, unless a flash is used for snapshots. Long exposures look amazing. I would say go for the K10D because of the sensor, as the K20D has a different one and color rendition is a bit different. Here are a few pictures taken with the K10D, one in natural light, one with the built-in flash, and one long exposure. Also, note that I only use legacy glass (Takumar lenses) so I have no idea about the autofocus and how it works/compares to the K20D.

Daylight:

Long Exposure:

I know the sensor is dirty, just ignore that

With built-in flash:

Thank you very much hmirchev,

It helps a lot ! Specially when somebody else has struggled with the same issue

I love long exposure photography (mainly light painting when I can) and I've read the K20 is rubbish for those kind of photos as there is a mechanism (can't remember now) that you can't disconect and it ruins this kind of pictures.
03-21-2016, 03:38 PM   #1714
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Don't worry to much about this, all colour is corrected in post anyway. These are tools. Tools that you control and choose how to use! Any DSLR with raw files can be made to look like each other.

If we are thinking about our tools we aren't thinking about the photographs.

03-21-2016, 04:37 PM   #1715
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
Don't worry to much about this, all colour is corrected in post anyway. These are tools. Tools that you control and choose how to use! Any DSLR with raw files can be made to look like each other.

If we are thinking about our tools we aren't thinking about the photographs.

So true, and I do use one of them, but do you know that feeling you have when you got that perfect shot and you look at it and think "I should let it like this, because I like it as it came out of the camera" ?
That is what I am talking about

Of course, we can correct the rest of photos
03-22-2016, 12:23 AM   #1716
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by red5isalive Quote

Yes, the K20D has a larger sensor than the K10D but the K20D has a CMOS sensor and the K10D is the last of the CCD sensors.
03-22-2016, 04:57 AM   #1717
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
Yes, the K20D has a larger sensor than the K10D but the K20D has a CMOS sensor and the K10D is the last of the CCD sensors.
That is my biggest trhought ravallen :-P

03-22-2016, 07:19 AM   #1718
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Af500ftz

QuoteOriginally posted by RussV Quote
An A series lens would be useful then. Sometimes non-Pentax 17mm' s appear for sale at a reasonable price. A 50mm or 28mm A series would be good for more close up shots and have a more practical F number.
For just a few dollars more, you can jump way up in power and features by getting the 500FTZ. It can be used either manual or automatic (TTL). This unit has a head that can be swivelled from side to side or up and down for bounce flash. The build structure of this unit is excellent, much better than later model Pentax flashes that often self-destruct, especially the battery cover and hot shoe fixture. TTL works great on later model film cameras, and I use it seamlessly on Pentax 645, 645N, Pentax PZ-1 and MZ-S. For older film cameras, you can easily use it in manual mode; my trick is to set shutter at 1/160 sec. and aperture at 8, then adjust manual setting from full power 1/1 down to lowest setting 1/32 of full power. When I use this manual setting approach in evening party settings, once I get the right power setting, I can pretty well leave it away the rest of the evening.

Here is an eBay listing of the 500FTZ, but I am mainly including it because of the various reviewer comments included.
03-22-2016, 07:53 AM   #1719
Pentaxian

I have two 28mm non Pentax a Chinon 50mm and two Pentax 50mm lenses and they are pretty awesome :-)
03-22-2016, 03:22 PM   #1720
Pentaxian

Guys, I think you will have a new member soon. I have decided I will go for the K10 instead of the K20 !
03-24-2016, 11:51 AM   #1721
Pentaxian

With good technique you can very easily print any K10 file at 8x10. If you are comfortable with post processing technique, getting 11x14 is very possible with most files. If you want to go larger that that then you are best served with the cameras that produced larger files.

As for CCD vs CMOS, I shoot both and like both. There are certainly slight differences between those two technologies but nothing as great as what I get when comparing Fuji Pro400 and Kodak Portra 400 film. For me this is one of those internet forum issues that means very little in reality. But, it is always nice to have choices so enjoy your camera.

If you are really interested in some nice and large prints shoot Kodak Portra in a Pentax 645Nii.
03-24-2016, 01:44 PM   #1722
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had beautiful prints up to 20 x 30 in made from my K10D files!
03-24-2016, 01:48 PM   #1723
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
I've had beautiful prints up to 20 x 30 in made from my K10D files!
Do you still have your K10D Steve?
03-24-2016, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #1724
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep, and a K20D and K-3.

K10D and DA* 16-50.
03-24-2016, 01:54 PM   #1725
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Yep, and a K20D and K-3.
Nice! I am getting mine soon I hope

I always wanted to get one because of it's CCD sensor.
I was about the K10D or the K20D, but the sensor on the K10D I think I'd like it more.

Just to be the second body for me, with my K5.