Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12503 Likes Search this Thread
04-13-2016, 07:39 AM   #1786
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For what it's worth... I bought a Tiffen 3-stop ND filter a couple years ago for my Tokina 19-35, but I've yet to use it... maybe now I will

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
(but I prefer the first image, myself )
That is exactly what I was thinking as well...

Anyway.

One thing I'm looking forward to with the K10D is doing panoramas. The files not being too large, and the CCD output, should make for wonderfully rich panoramas. Converting to .tiff is a bit of a pain when working with Microsoft ICE, which doesn't accept .DNG files (or .PEF). But I think it will be worth it.

I've even done a little "guide" for what kind of DOF experience I will get (basically for Brenizer style panoramas):

Panorama vs sensor size (1/3 image overlap)

pano of 4 (2x2) = 3 times area. Factor = 1.7 APSC/1.1 FF
pano of 9 (3x3) = 6 times area. Factor = 2.45 APSC/1.6 FF
pano of 15 (5x3) = 10 times area. Factor = 3.2 APSC/1.79 FF (same for pano of 16 4x4)
pano of 24 (4x6) = 14 times area. Factor = 3.74 APSC/2.43 FF
pano of 25 (5x5) = 15 times area. Factor = 3.87 APSC/2.51 FF

Equivalence
FF=1.5xAPSC
645D=1.3FF
645=1.77FF
6x7=2.2FF

Of course this is not an exact science, results will vary as much as 20% I think. But it's a good guide.

04-13-2016, 09:12 AM   #1787
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Might as well get a photo up here, I guess...DA18-55 kit lens (which always seems to find its way onto the K10)

Paul, it always amazes me how much quality you get out of the 18-55mm. Lovely light in that one.

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
I put the SMC Pentax-DA 15mm f4 ED AL Limited on the K10D today along with my latest step-up ring (49-77 mm) so that I could use my Lee filters on it. This is at Soldiers Beach - a favourite shooting location.

I think the first one is beautiful, Ray, with that lush Kodachrome-like rendering that the K10D does so well. I really like the effect the filter has had on the water in the second one, but it seems to have thrown the colour balance way into the blue.
04-13-2016, 02:41 PM - 2 Likes   #1788
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I think the first one is beautiful, Ray, with that lush Kodachrome-like rendering that the K10D does so well. I really like the effect the filter has had on the water in the second one, but it seems to have thrown the colour balance way into the blue.
Thank you, Dave. Yes, I was also thinking that about the rendering of the first image.

And thank you for pointing out the colour balance problem with the second image. Mea culpa. LEE filters can often introduce a colour cast which is easily fixed by increasing the colour temp to 10000 and, stupidly, I had forgotten to do that. I have now corrected it. Does this look better?

04-13-2016, 03:28 PM   #1789
Pentaxian

Thank you, Dave. Yes, I was also thinking that about the rendering of the first image.

And thank you for pointing out the colour balance problem with the second image. Mea culpa. LEE filters can often introduce a colour cast which is easily fixed by increasing the colour temp to 10000 and, stupidly, I had forgotten to do that. I have now corrected it. Does this look better?

That looks very good, Ray!

04-13-2016, 04:27 PM - 3 Likes   #1790
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful shots of a nice location Ray. I can see all kinds of possibilities with those ND filters. (but I prefer the first image, myself )
Thank you, Paul. Yes, I prefer the first one, too. The second one was mainly to verify that there would be no vignetting with the filters on the 15mm. There weren't so it's all good to go for sunsets.

---------- Post added 14-04-16 at 09:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote

pano of 4 (2x2) = 3 times area. Factor = 1.7 APSC/1.1 FF
pano of 9 (3x3) = 6 times area. Factor = 2.45 APSC/1.6 FF
pano of 15 (5x3) = 10 times area. Factor = 3.2 APSC/1.79 FF (same for pano of 16 4x4)
pano of 24 (4x6) = 14 times area. Factor = 3.74 APSC/2.43 FF
pano of 25 (5x5) = 15 times area. Factor = 3.87 APSC/2.51 FF

Equivalence
FF=1.5xAPSC
645D=1.3FF
645=1.77FF
6x7=2.2FF

Of course this is not an exact science, results will vary as much as 20% I think. But it's a good guide.
Here's a 5X3 pano I took with the K10D in May 2015 with a 35 mm/f 3.5 Super-Takumar:

Plenty of detail there.
04-14-2016, 01:08 AM   #1791
Pentaxian

That makes a huge difference Ray. I love the effect of the water on the rocks in the foreground. I think I might have to get one of those ND filters - we've got some waterfalls and rocky riverbeds around here where that misty water effect would work well.
04-14-2016, 02:16 AM   #1792
Veteran Member

One thing I'm looking forward to with the K10D is doing panoramas. The files not being too large, and the CCD output, should make for wonderfully rich panoramas. Converting to .tiff is a bit of a pain when working with Microsoft ICE, which doesn't accept .DNG files (or .PEF). But I think it will be worth it.

Hmm, have you updated ICE? Mine supports .dng, I use it all the time, much better than stitching in PS

04-14-2016, 07:02 AM   #1793
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Grippy Quote
Hmm, have you updated ICE? Mine supports .dng, I use it all the time, much better than stitching in PS
Hmmm I updated a few months ago to ICE version 2... and yesterday before I posted this, I did a test with a .dng file and it didn't load it... I'll see if there's a newer version out! But that's good to know.

---------- Post added 04-14-16 at 10:07 AM ----------

Here's a 5X3 pano I took with the K10D in May 2015 with a 35 mm/f 3.5 Super-Takumar:

Plenty of detail there.
That is fantastic. I have no idea how you got the water to look so seamless with the pano. What is your general technique? And what do you use, ICE or Photoshop?

You basically got better resolution and details than you would get from a single K-1 shot there. It reminds me of that comparison between a K200D panorama with the D800 a while back, that commented a lot here in the forum.
04-15-2016, 10:17 AM   #1794

I'm joining the club. I've had my K10D since 2007. I just checked the shutter count and it's a bit over 45 000 and still going strong. I had a K-x for a while years ago but I sold it. It had good high ISO but i thought the lower ISO's just were lacking something that the K10D has. It has stood the test of time very well. Here's something I took with Pentax 35mm Macro Limited.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
04-15-2016, 03:52 PM   #1795
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Grippy Quote
I am pretty sure I have the latest version but I have not tried it with .DNG files. I will now. Thanks.

---------- Post added 16-04-16 at 09:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
That makes a huge difference Ray. I love the effect of the water on the rocks in the foreground. I think I might have to get one of those ND filters - we've got some waterfalls and rocky riverbeds around here where that misty water effect would work well.
Thanks, Dave. Yes, those filters are very effective with moving water around rocks. And they are also great for waterfalls and rocky riverbeds. But I must warn you that LEE filters are quite expensive. The Big Stopper alone is around $AU200 and then you need the filter holder and the holder mount ring which is about another $AU250. But there are cheaper alternatives on eBay.
04-15-2016, 04:21 PM - 1 Like   #1796
Pentaxian

Shooting the K10D at base ISO is a lot like accepting the limitations of slow slide film in order to gain the benefits.
04-15-2016, 04:25 PM   #1797
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is fantastic. I have no idea how you got the water to look so seamless with the pano. What is your general technique? And what do you use, ICE or Photoshop?

You basically got better resolution and details than you would get from a single K-1 shot there. It reminds me of that comparison between a K200D panorama with the D800 a while back, that commented a lot here in the forum.
Thanks for your kind words.

My general technique is that I use a dedicated pano head like this one: FOTOMATE Pro Panoramic Kit Tripod Head Gimbal Bracket Plate Rail Slider Sale - Banggood.com and all camera settings on manual - ISO, white balance, shutter speed, f/stop, focus, a wired remote release, a heavy Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod (no longer made) and a Manfrotto 338 Levelling Base https://www.manfrotto.com/levelling-base so that the images stay level as you rotate horizontally (very important) and then overlap images about 40% both horizontal and vertical. I then will use either ICE, Photoshop or Lightroom. I might try all three to see which one provides the best stitch. ICE often wins that battle.

I hope that helps.
04-16-2016, 10:31 AM   #1798
Pentaxian

Thanks for your kind words.

My general technique is that I use a dedicated pano head like this one: FOTOMATE Pro Panoramic Kit Tripod Head Gimbal Bracket Plate Rail Slider Sale - Banggood.com and all camera settings on manual - ISO, white balance, shutter speed, f/stop, focus, a wired remote release, a heavy Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod (no longer made) and a Manfrotto 338 Levelling Base https://www.manfrotto.com/levelling-base so that the images stay level as you rotate horizontally (very important) and then overlap images about 40% both horizontal and vertical. I then will use either ICE, Photoshop or Lightroom. I might try all three to see which one provides the best stitch. ICE often wins that battle.

I hope that helps.
Very helpful, thank you
04-16-2016, 03:22 PM   #1799
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

As I await my K1, I have been reflecting back on my past Pentax cameras, and the K10D stands out in my mind as one of my most favorites for what I think is its unique IQ. Sure, it was not a champion at high ISO shooting, but if you got some decent light and a good subject it would deliver superbly satisfying results. I wish I still owned it.....

Looking at a few of my old K10D shots, I fondly recall shooting these....
View Picture EXIF
Name:  Misty Heron.jpg
Views: 938
Size:  273.0 KB

Lots advancements since the K10D, but the love for that camera will always be with me.

Regards!
04-16-2016, 03:52 PM   #1800
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
As I await my K1, I have been reflecting back on my past Pentax cameras, and the K10D stands out in my mind as one of my most favorites for what I think is its unique IQ. Sure, it was not a champion at high ISO shooting, but if you got some decent light and a good subject it would deliver superbly satisfying results. I wish I still owned it.....

Looking at a few of my old K10D shots, I fondly recall shooting these....
Attachment 306433

Lots advancements since the K10D, but the love for that camera will always be with me.

Regards!
The K10D was my first DSLR. I now also have a K-3 but I still get great enjoyment from my K10D and it will be with me until it dies. Or I die - whichever comes first.