Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12503 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2016, 08:41 AM   #1816
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think if shutter-shock was a problem with the K10D, we would have heard reports by now, 10 yrs later . I have shot mine at extremely low speeds (1/10), and have never seen any sign of blur or lack of sharpness due to shutter vibration. It could be that the K20 is better able to dampen the shutter sound than some other models. My wife's K7 doesn't seem to suffer any ill effects either. I think the flagship bodies do a better job of dampening vibration better than the lower models, such as K-x, K-S1, which have lighter plastic bodies. At any rate, I would not worry about it much.

04-19-2016, 09:07 AM - 3 Likes   #1817
Pentaxian

First K10D impressions

- I'm still getting used to the lower resolution. It seems the loss in resolution from 12.4 (K-r) to 10MP is way, way more noticeable than the loss from 14.6 (K20D) to 12.4 (K-r) was.
- I'm also still getting used to some of the colors, which are not as vibrant out of the camera as the K20D was. They do work well in PP though.
- Surprise: I am actually able to lift more out of shadows with the K10D than I could with the K20D. Or maybe I should say, I am able to pull details that look better, not quite as noisy. I was very surprised by that.
- The only lens I've used so far is my new-to-me K 24 2.8. Once I start using the M 50 1.7 I think I'll really start getting an idea of how the camera compares to the other bodies I've had.

Enough talk, here's some pictures

Last edited by ChristianRock; 04-19-2016 at 09:13 AM.
04-19-2016, 12:16 PM   #1818
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
First K10D impressions

Looking good. I particularly like the second one. Hopefully the K10D's colour rendering will grow on you. It's interesting that you were using the K24mm/2.8 -- I have to confess that I found the colour rendering of that lens strangely flat and slightly greenish when I owned it. I got rid of it and got the SMC Takumar 24mm/3.5 instead, and I love it. It'll be fascinating to see what you think of the K10D's colours with the M50mm/1.7 bolted on the front instead.

I've finally bothered to do a couple of quick handheld comparison shots between the K10D clone GX-10 and the K-S1. Both shots are with the Super Takumar 20mm, ISO100 at f/8 and 1/250 to eliminate the mirror slap problem with the K-S1. I used an identical manual white balance of 5600K, and I'm truly surprised by how different the colours are. I'll leave everyone to come to their own conclusions, but I know which one I prefer.

The K10D clone:

The K-S1:
04-19-2016, 12:31 PM   #1819
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Looking good. I particularly like the second one. Hopefully the K10D's colour rendering will grow on you. It's interesting that you were using the K24mm/2.8 -- I have to confess that I found the colour rendering of that lens strangely flat and slightly greenish when I owned it. I got rid of it and got the SMC Takumar 24mm/3.5 instead, and I love it. It'll be fascinating to see what you think of the K10D's colours with the M50mm/1.7 bolted on the front instead.

I've finally bothered to do a couple of quick handheld comparison shots between the K10D clone GX-10 and the K-S1. Both shots are with the Super Takumar 20mm, ISO100 at f/8 and 1/250 to eliminate the mirror slap problem with the K-S1. I used an identical manual white balance of 5600K, and I'm truly surprised by how different the colours are. I'll leave everyone to come to their own conclusions, but I know which one I prefer.

The K10D clone:

The K-S1:
Same white balance value, huh?

Of course we know which one we prefer

But I wonder, if the K-S1 picture's WB was changed to warmer, if it would match the K10D better. As it is, the K10D is vibrant and alive while the K-S1 is just... flat.

04-20-2016, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #1820
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dave, the warmer WB effect of the CCD sensor is quite evident here. Are those ooc jpgs, or from raw? I wonder what the KS-1 auto WB images would look like?

From February with the kit lens:
04-20-2016, 09:23 AM   #1821
Pentaxian

Excellent work with the kit lens as usual, Paul. I don't know how you do it.

As for the comparison shots, they are straight raw to jpeg conversions. Both cameras were set manually to 5600K, so the white balances should be pretty much identical -- but obviously they're not. I've always used 5600K in sunlight with the K10D clone because I like the slightly warm rendering that it gives, but clearly with the K-S1 that doesn't work at all. The K-S1 seems to need something closer to 6500K in sunlight, which is what I use in cloudy conditions with the K10D clone.

I played around with the raw files this morning to try to get the colours to match between the two shots, but I couldn't really get them close. The K-S1 at 6500K was the closest I could get to the K10D clone at 5600K, but the K-S1 ended up with quite a magenta cast.

I don't know what kind of results auto white balance would have given because I never use it. I either set a Kelvin value by eye or take a balance off a white card. But I'll try to do a couple of test shots using auto white balance over the next few days and see what happens.
04-20-2016, 09:31 AM - 2 Likes   #1822
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

One of my favorite K10D shots...shot with an old Quantaray 70-300 lens. When I think K10D I always think of this one....

Name:  K10D_edited-1.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  366.5 KB

I also recall how the new SR amazed me and think of this one...shot at 1/20 handheld @ 500mm.

The K10D brought some real excitement to my shooting fun and kept me in the Pentax frame of mind. It was a true inspiration....and even today, they are very worthy instruments of value!

Regards!

04-20-2016, 11:22 AM   #1823
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
One of my favorite K10D shots...shot with an old Quantaray 70-300 lens. When I think K10D I always think of this one....

Attachment 306788

I also recall how the new SR amazed me and think of this one...shot at 1/20 handheld @ 500mm.

The K10D brought some real excitement to my shooting fun and kept me in the Pentax frame of mind. It was a true inspiration....and even today, they are very worthy instruments of value!

Regards!
Look at that bokeh! I haven't seen bokeh like that in a CMOS sensor, I think...
04-20-2016, 12:20 PM   #1824
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Look at that bokeh! I haven't seen bokeh like that in a CMOS sensor, I think...
I think you are right. The K10D had a lot of subtle differences and if you could keep the ISO down low it was wonderful. About 800 was the limit, depending on other factors, of course.

I also liked the "feel"of the K10D body. Solid and strong. It was a pleasure to hold.

Regards!
04-20-2016, 03:07 PM   #1825
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I don't know what kind of results auto white balance would have given because I never use it. I either set a Kelvin value by eye or take a balance off a white card. But I'll try to do a couple of test shots using auto white balance over the next few days and see what happens.
It is always enlightening to find out how others use their camera settings. Your approach is very different to mine, Dave. Not wrong, just different.

I rarely use other than Auto WB mainly because both the K10D and the K-3 seem to work so well with it... to my eye. Sometimes I will adjust the temperature slider in ACR if I feel the need for a bit more warmth in the image.
This does, however, remind me that I have a set of those little white balance cards. One day I must get around to using them!!!
04-20-2016, 03:25 PM - 1 Like   #1826
Veteran Member

Don't bother Ray Raw files make it way to easy for us now.

I hardly shoot out of auto WB, I to found the K10 to be pretty darn good. Oh, in the shade on bright days it used to be confused, but raw files to the rescue.

The K5 is better yet. But doesn't matter. Raw files.
04-21-2016, 08:59 AM   #1827
Pentaxian

So now I am using the M 50 1.7...

First, an ISO 800 test. I think the camera did well and ISO 800 is very usable. With the K20D I tended to avoid ISO 800 because I thought the noise was ugly. This noise, I don't mind, especially since it does seem to keep a lot of detail. I took other ISO 800 pictures just for observing this (detail) but this is one that mainly shows how it affects the bokeh.

I usually tend to stick with ISO 100-400, with 640 being my indoors low light max. So I think I'll do just fine with this in low light.

Now on to a couple with ISO 100. The colors of the K10D seem to work better if you don't underexpose, at least that's what I'm finding out for now. With CCDs I tend to underexpose just a bit and add fill light later to get better colors, but I don't need to do this with the CCD. But that might be an issue because underexposing also allowed me to keep more highlights.

One more for fun.

I took some more but I need to be selective. What I did notice is that colors seem more true to life with the CCD. I'll keep taking pics and learning
04-21-2016, 10:03 AM   #1828
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Love those pinks, CR . Looks like you're getting things dialed in.
Another kit lens shot, taken in February (no, it's not my place!)
04-22-2016, 09:29 AM - 2 Likes   #1829
Pentaxian

Now the K10D stays in the car with me on the way to and from work... so I stopped to get gas, and there was a little bush next to me in this busy intersection... the light was right and you'd never know it's a busy corner unless I told you
Look at all these nice shades of green that the CCD can show us:

04-22-2016, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #1830
Veteran Member

My K10D was great for flowers too!

The colors were great and had such a solid feel in my hands.....great camera!

I used to do some HDR with the K10D too...it was fun!

Regards!