Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12504 Likes Search this Thread
10-12-2016, 01:54 PM   #2146
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxpete Quote
I had three of my Freedom March photos used in the 'Brentwood Gazette' newspaper today for which I should get £ 35-00 fee !
Congratulations. And well deserved. The lighting was just right.

10-12-2016, 03:01 PM - 2 Likes   #2147
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I spent yesterday afternoon aboard the Tall Ship "Loren Larsen" in perfect weather on Sydney Harbour. I took my trusty K10D with me along with my DA 15mm Limited and Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.0 DC Macro HSM. I know that I am preaching to the converted but these images are a testament to what the K10D can do. These images are JPGs SOOC with no editing and only resizing for the web.

More images here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rayallen/albums/72157675031522966

Last edited by rayallen; 10-12-2016 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Add link to album.
10-12-2016, 03:32 PM   #2148
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow - great set of shots Ray. Even more impressive that these were shot in jpeg. I like
10-12-2016, 04:00 PM   #2149
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Wow - great set of shots Ray. Even more impressive that these were shot in jpeg. I like
Thanks, Paul. Of course, I shot RAW + JPG as I usually do but I had so many images to go through and the JPGs looked so good that I thought well, it it ain't broke, don't fix it! Long live the K10D.

10-13-2016, 11:08 AM   #2150
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
Thanks, Paul. Of course, I shot RAW + JPG as I usually do but I had so many images to go through and the JPGs looked so good that I thought well, it it ain't broke, don't fix it! Long live the K10D.
You just made me decide to start shooting RAW+ with my K10D. I always thought the Jpeg engine wasn't all that great.
10-13-2016, 03:17 PM   #2151
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
You just made me decide to start shooting RAW+ with my K10D. I always thought the Jpeg engine wasn't all that great.
Once a month I go out with three mates for photography adventures. Two shoot Canons and the other Nikon. I am the lone Pentax shooter but from that day on the harbour I can tell you that the JPGs from my 9 year old K10D are much richer in colour than those that I have seen from them.
10-13-2016, 10:44 PM - 3 Likes   #2152

Been awhile since I posted. Awhile back I got some great advice about what to do.. ie new lens DA 16-45, and Aperture as the priority, then experiment with different settings. I picked up the DA 16-45 and off I went experimenting.
Did a 5 day backpacking trip in the northeast corner of Yosemite. Pretty happy with most of the pictures I did get some sun reflection in several pictures. I need to figure out how to carry a hood for the lens on the next trip.

A couple of examples

It was very hazy in Matterhorn Canyon

The Sawtooth Ridge

The Slide - This slide is huge at least 1/3 of a mile wide and easily 1/4 mile across the canyon - Shows the sun reflections

Slide Canyon

I really like the colors n this one.... it did a great job with the color of the water

Google Photos stitched this one together - This is the view down Slide Canyon

10-14-2016, 02:25 AM   #2153
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Grzldvt Quote
Been awhile since I posted. Awhile back I got some great advice about what to do.. ie new lens DA 16-45, and Aperture as the priority, then experiment with different settings. I picked up the DA 16-45 and off I went experimenting.Did a 5 day backpacking trip in the northeast corner of Yosemite. Pretty happy with most of the pictures I did get some sun reflection in several pictures. I need to figure out how to carry a hood for the lens on the next trip.

Great to see photos of some parts of Yosemite that I didn't even know existed. I've seen so many assembly line versions of the identical shot of Half Dome that everyone always takes that I'd almost started to think that was all there was. I particularly like the second one with the light playing over the rock crags. And now I know that I really, really have to get to Yosemite some day.

As for a hood for the 16-45mm: I really hate the big clumsy plastic petal hoods that you have to reverse every time you put the camera back in the bag, so on my 16-45mm I use a 67mm wide angle metal hood. It probably doesn't give quite as much flare protection as a petal hood, but I can leave it on the lens permanently with no need to reverse it, and an 82mm lens cap fits the hood perfectly. Suits my own needs much better than a petal hood.

Edit: It's actually an 86mm lens cap for the metal hood on the 16-45mm.

Last edited by Dartmoor Dave; 10-14-2016 at 03:09 AM.
10-14-2016, 03:02 AM - 3 Likes   #2154

Hi All
I new member this page. I would like to participate or not.
Because I love the CCD (Model K10D & K-M)...

"If I make mistakes, apologize for."

10-14-2016, 06:19 AM   #2155
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Grzldvt Quote
Been awhile since I posted. Awhile back I got some great advice about what to do.. ie new lens DA 16-45, and Aperture as the priority, then experiment with different settings. I picked up the DA 16-45 and off I went experimenting.
Did a 5 day backpacking trip in the northeast corner of Yosemite. Pretty happy with most of the pictures I did get some sun reflection in several pictures. I need to figure out how to carry a hood for the lens on the next trip.

A couple of examples

It was very hazy in Matterhorn Canyon

The Sawtooth Ridge

The Slide - This slide is huge at least 1/3 of a mile wide and easily 1/4 mile across the canyon - Shows the sun reflections

Slide Canyon

I really like the colors n this one.... it did a great job with the color of the water

Google Photos stitched this one together - This is the view down Slide Canyon
Great pictures! The K10D/16-45 is a great combination... though in my case, the 16-45 is now wedded to the family/wife K-S1.

Mine (the 16-45) also came without a hood, so I got the generic el-cheapo Vivitar 67mm petal hood: https://www.amazon.com/Vivitar-67mm-Digital-Tulip-Hard/dp/B016WUGGF4/ref=sr_...itar+67mm+hood

The Vivitar hood works great, no vignetting at all! Best of all, the clip on lens cap clips right on the lens hood! I wasn't expecting that! I wish all my lens hoods did that. I'm very happy with it, highly recommended.

And here's some straight-out-of-camera K10D goodness (inspired by Ray Allen, I set my camera on RAW+!)

I need to experiment with the JPEG settings but I added just a bit of contrast and sharpness in the camera setup (as I said, I didn't touch the generated JPEG). No added saturation needed - leave those CCD colors alone!

I'm going to experiment with that "color curve" setting the K10D has, I'm intrigued by it... but it seems like it would be useless to me. We'll see...
10-14-2016, 06:42 AM   #2156

K10 D and 50mm 1.7

Just recently bought the 50mm 1.7 - least expensive Pentax lens. Took a walk yesterday morning to try it out. Here is a sample.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
10-14-2016, 07:29 AM   #2157
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some very nice photos lately - nice work everyone!

K10D + DA18-55:

10-14-2016, 07:46 AM   #2158
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sam Dennis Quote
Just recently bought the 50mm 1.7 - least expensive Pentax lens. Took a walk yesterday morning to try it out. Here is a sample.

I'm confused, exif shows DA 50mm F1.8.
I think that I have read somewhere before that the camera sometimes indicates the wrong lens.
10-14-2016, 08:16 AM   #2159

QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote
I'm confused, exif shows DA 50mm F1.8.
I think that I have read somewhere before that the camera sometimes indicates the wrong lens.
Whoops, my bad. f1.8 is correct.
10-14-2016, 03:28 PM   #2160
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
And here's some straight-out-of-camera K10D goodness (inspired by Ray Allen, I set my camera on RAW+!)

I need to experiment with the JPEG settings but I added just a bit of contrast and sharpness in the camera setup (as I said, I didn't touch the generated JPEG). No added saturation needed - leave those CCD colors alone!

I'm going to experiment with that "color curve" setting the K10D has, I'm intrigued by it... but it seems like it would be useless to me. We'll see...
I am glad that I finally inspired someone! That hibiscus is fabulous and another great example of what the K10D JPG engine and the CCD sensor can produce. Keep up the good work.

Please tell me more about this "Colour Curve". It's news to me.