Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12504 Likes Search this Thread
01-11-2017, 05:05 PM   #2281
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
How high is high?

Conventional wisdom is that the K10d shutter is rated for 100,000 activations. That is not a guarantee. It could fail at less than that, but unless you are at some significant fraction of that, like, say 75,000 activations, you're probably not in any danger, yet.
I found the post from last July where I posted the number of activations the camera's shutter had shortly after I got it, last July: 36,800. I've just uploaded a picture from today to https://www.camerashuttercount.co and it says the current shutter actuation count is: 37525.

That's not near 100,000, but there must be some camera shutters that fail early, and when that happens, what happens? Does it just stop taking pictures, or does something become undependable or intermittent about exposures?

Does anybody know? This is the place at PF to find people who've had K10Ds a l-o-o-o-o-ong time, sometimes more than one of them!

---------- Post added 01-11-17 at 06:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
With the DA* 16-50. Xpst.

Nice powder coating finish on that car.

01-11-2017, 10:00 PM   #2282
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Ray, I'm sure it looks cold compared to your summertime temps down under.
Extremely so, Steve. We are in the middle of a heatwave.
01-12-2017, 03:28 AM   #2283
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
I found the post from last July where I posted the number of activations the camera's shutter had shortly after I got it, last July: 36,800. I've just uploaded a picture from today to https://www.camerashuttercount.co and it says the current shutter actuation count is: 37525. That's not near 100,000, but there must be some camera shutters that fail early, and when that happens, what happens? Does it just stop taking pictures, or does something become undependable or intermittent about exposures? Does anybody know? This is the place at PF to find people who've had K10Ds a l-o-o-o-o-ong time, sometimes more than one of them!

Over 37 years I've never personally had a shutter failure with a Pentax camera, but here's what I know about shutter failure in general, if it's any small use.

First, remember that the figure of 100,000 clicks is the Mean Time Before Failure, so it's just an average used to determine the length of the warranty rather than some dreaded number that will inevitably bring disaster along with it. Many cameras will develop problems before they reach that; many will happily go on to 200,000. If you're regularly machine-gunning a thousand frames a day in full speed burst mode, that's probably not going to help longevity, but only using the camera a couple of times a year for Christmas and birthdays won't do it much good either.

In the old film days of rubberised fabric shutters, the first sign of problems would be the slow shutter speeds stretching fractionally longer as the fabric literally stretched. But of course the K10D has got a metal shutter, so it's likely that the first hint of a problem will be with the camera mis-timing the flash sync, producing shots with only part of the frame actually lit by the flash. If it's a more severe problem, with the shutter heading for total failure, you'll see a horizontal black bar across the frame in every shot as the leading or trailing curtain sticks.

But realistically, if the camera is going to go mechanically wrong, it's much more likely to be the motor and gears that drive the mirror mechanism, long before the shutter goes.

And sadly, it just won't be economical to repair a K10D with a dead shutter. There are still lots out there in excellent condition, so it makes more sense to simply buy another one.
01-12-2017, 08:05 AM   #2284
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
I found the post from last July where I posted the number of activations the camera's shutter had shortly after I got it, last July: 36,800. I've just uploaded a picture from today to https://www.camerashuttercount.co and it says the current shutter actuation count is: 37525.

That's not near 100,000, but there must be some camera shutters that fail early, and when that happens, what happens? Does it just stop taking pictures, or does something become undependable or intermittent about exposures?

Does anybody know? This is the place at PF to find people who've had K10Ds a l-o-o-o-o-ong time, sometimes more than one of them!

---------- Post added 01-11-17 at 06:07 PM ----------

Nice powder coating finish on that car.
When the shutter stops working, I think it just stops working. But it has never happened to me yet, thankfully.

I'd say - if it really worries you, and it sounds like it does, just get yourself a 2nd K10D as a backup - if you get one with a lower shutter count, use it and keep the current one as a backup. They're so cheap these days, amazing for the quality you get. So don't sweat I bet if you put an ad in the Wanted Items forum in the Marketplace, you'll get a reply in no time. Lots of people still have them, but don't use them much anymore.

Some more K10D CCD Colors...

Last edited by ChristianRock; 01-12-2017 at 12:00 PM.
01-12-2017, 07:39 PM - 1 Like   #2285
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would think that the K10's electronics would be more likely to fail before the shutter, given the age of these cameras. But, as mentioned, pick up a spare if you're concerned. And, don't let them become closet queens! I think leaving them sit idle for extended periods can cause premature failure (pure speculation on my part!). I have a few even older 6 mp CCD bodies, with my oldest *ist D approaching 50k on the shutter. No issues with any of them yet, and I try to make sure they all get used at least once or twice a month if possible.

This little oak tree was late to the Fall party! K10D with F35-70:

Sigma 28-90:

Last edited by paulh; 01-12-2017 at 09:01 PM.
01-13-2017, 02:42 AM   #2286
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
I would think that the K10's electronics would be more likely to fail before the shutter, given the age of these cameras. But, as mentioned, pick up a spare if you're concerned. And, don't let them become closet queens! I think leaving them sit idle for extended periods can cause premature failure (pure speculation on my part!). I have a few even older 6 mp CCD bodies, with my oldest *ist D approaching 50k on the shutter. No issues with any of them yet, and I try to make sure they all get used at least once or twice a month if possible.

This little oak tree was late to the Fall party! K10D with F35-70:

Sigma 28-90:
I particularly like that second image, Paul. That's my style of shot.

Yes, I have noticed that you do cycle through your cameras on a regular basis. It is much easier for me as I only have two. You may well be right about giving them regular usage.
01-13-2017, 03:44 PM - 2 Likes   #2287
Pentaxian

I keep going back to 50mm lenses.

And a panorama from 5 images...

01-14-2017, 06:01 PM   #2288
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Nolde Forest State Park - DA 50mm f1.8
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
01-14-2017, 06:46 PM   #2289
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
I particularly like that second image, Paul. That's my style of shot.

Yes, I have noticed that you do cycle through your cameras on a regular basis. It is much easier for me as I only have two. You may well be right about giving them regular usage.
Thanks Ray. I find it strange that my newest body, the K5, gets the least use! It does produce some wonderful images, but I'm still more comfortable with my old CCD bodies I guess.
01-15-2017, 12:26 AM   #2290
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Thanks Ray. I find it strange that my newest body, the K5, gets the least use! It does produce some wonderful images, but I'm still more comfortable with my old CCD bodies I guess.
I can relate to that, Paul. I do use my K-3 more than the K10D but that has a lot to do with the DA 18-135 mm lens. But I always feel more at home with the much simpler K10D and, of course, the CCD sensor. I know I am preaching to the converted.
01-20-2017, 12:57 AM - 3 Likes   #2291
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

My first post in this thread with a few photos from last month taken in South Shields, a short drive from my home. Taken with the GX-10 "K10D clone" and Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 (and cross posted from Post Your Photos)...
Attached Images

01-20-2017, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #2292
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
My first post in this thread with a few photos from last month taken in South Shields, a short drive from my home. Taken with the GX-10 "K10D clone" and Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 (and cross posted from Post Your Photos)...
Very nice. I'd say the camera suits your style
01-20-2017, 01:28 PM   #2293
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Very nice. I'd say the camera suits your style
Thank you I'm having a blast with it...
01-20-2017, 02:14 PM   #2294
Veteran Member

With the recent discussion of shutter counts, I checked all four of my Pentaxes and was pleased to discover they've all got a whole lot of life left in them. My K10D is the second highest with 5,484 shutter actuations, surpassed only by my K100D at 7062. My Kx is barely broken in with just 1,720 actuations and my oldest camera, the K2000 is practically a virgin with only 763!
01-23-2017, 10:47 AM   #2295
Pentaxian

Assistance requested, Please !

I have both a K20D and a K10D. When using them with a second-hand Sigma 28-105 f2.8 - f4 lens, I noticed they both displayed a degree of back focus, more apparent when close to the subject.
I've managed to correct this in the K20D, but I can find no reference to this facility for the K10D. Does this exist, please, or am I limited to f8 and smaller with this body (tests show that this is where
images become acceptable) ?

Thanks in advance for any help (firmware on both bodies is up-to-date, by the way).

Tony