Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12503 Likes Search this Thread
02-10-2017, 10:13 AM   #2386
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
^ I'm following it right now. The auction ends on Sunday. The only thing is the estimated high shutter count. It's already a few years old too. Who knows if it'll make or pass 100,000.
K10Ds are up to 11 years old, by definition. There are no 3 year old ones.

Everybody posting images in this thread is shooting with an OLD K10D, though some of them have copies with relatively low shutter counts.

Some prefer to have a spare K10D, in case one....eventually .... fails. There aren't many reports of that, you'll find if you read through the thread from the beginning. The more common story is when someone got a much newer model DSLR,then sold or gave away their K10D, and then after a while was filled with regret-remorse-etc and had to buy a replacement K10D so they could shoot it along with the new-fangled one. The new DSLR, despite its higher resolution and other bells and whistles just was not enough -- as great as it was, it was NOT a K10D replacement.

If you don't believe me, a rather new K10D user, just read this discussion thread page-by-page from the beginning and look at all of the pictures (A time-consuming process, but absolutely time well spent) . PM some of the obviously more experienced K10D users for more info and insights or ask them questions in the thread.

02-10-2017, 10:47 AM   #2387
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
^ I'm following it right now. The auction ends on Sunday. The only thing is the estimated high shutter count. It's already a few years old too. Who knows if it'll make or pass 100,000.
You are so right ., I bought one look like it had had a low count on it. Well when I DID true shutter count on it , it turns out to have over 262000 actuation on it. Guess what . no big deal it works just fine, And it allows me to keep my original one in low count shape. It either works or it doesn't, not to worry.
02-11-2017, 06:32 PM   #2388
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
KEH has one in EX+ condition for 115 dollars, Squirrel Mafia.
02-13-2017, 10:43 AM - 2 Likes   #2389
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Local Park on a warm Texas February day. K-10d and 18-55 Kit Lens.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
02-13-2017, 02:02 PM   #2390
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grnhrn Quote
Local Park on a warm Texas February day. K-10d and 18-55 Kit Lens.
Oh, that's a lovely shot. What a pretty scene, and very nicely composed.

Welcome to the K10D club
02-13-2017, 08:26 PM - 5 Likes   #2391
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K10D with K30 f2.8
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
02-13-2017, 09:09 PM   #2392
Veteran Member

My K10D is definitely young at heart with only 5,489 shutter actuations. I picked it up on eBay in early September for $74. I think the seller made a strategic error, which worked out in my favor, by having the auction end in the wee hours of Labor Day Monday. I put in a bid, went to bed and when I woke up it was mine.

02-13-2017, 09:52 PM   #2393
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
My K10D has 8,558 clicks, the last photo made with it was shot on July 21, 2014.

It got farther than my iStDL. I last used it on March 3, 2008 (about when I got the K10), for shutter click 1,283 (low miles!).

My K5IIs has 6,715 and counting. Still a ways to go to catch up with the legacy left by the K10, which sits quietly on the shelf, patiently waiting for some use.

What I can't quite get my head around is how I have a total of 16,556 shutter clicks between 3 cameras. I always shoot RAW only, no RAW + Jpeg.

The folder that holds my master copies of the photos has 32,672 Files, 14,632 Folders, using 277gb of space.

That is nearly double the number of clicks.
02-14-2017, 12:12 AM   #2394
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bhuey55 Quote
K10D with K30 f2.8
A very nice set. That first shot is very typical K10D rendering - to my eyes anyway. Easy to look at.
02-14-2017, 02:25 AM   #2395
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

K10D with K30 f2.8
Very nice set of shots. That's a really beautiful area
02-14-2017, 03:02 AM   #2396
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K10D with K30 f2.8

I can see why the K30mm/2.8 has got such a great reputation. There's so much detail in those shots.

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
A very nice set. That first shot is very typical K10D rendering - to my eyes anyway. Easy to look at.

Yes, there's definitely the classic K10D rendering in that first shot -- that almost slide film look. People say that you can replicate it with a CMOS sensor in post-processing, but strangely I've never seen an example of anybody actually doing that. At the moment I'm finding that I have to guess whether to take my CMOS or CCD camera with me, depending on where I'm going and what I think the light will be like. I like to travel light, with just a camera and one extra lens, and I'm very reluctant to start lugging a second body around. But recently I have been looking for a bigger lightweight bag so that I can do exactly that.
02-14-2017, 11:35 AM   #2397
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
The new DSLR, despite its higher resolution and other bells and whistles just was not enough -- as great as it was, it was NOT a K10D replacement.

If you don't believe me, a rather new K10D user, just read this discussion thread page-by-page from the beginning and look at all of the pictures (A time-consuming process, but absolutely time well spent) . PM some of the obviously more experienced K10D users for more info and insights or ask them questions in the thread.
absolutely. I frequently struggled with the ISO of my K10d and that was really the only reason for getting the K5. After shooting the K5 a while, I was frustrated that my photography simply didn't look as vibrant. Since photography and forum participation has its ups and downs in frequency, it took a bit for me to realize it was the camera sensor differences. Thankfully I didn't get rid of the K10d and the shutter count is pretty low yet.

If they could manage to get a camera that produces the colors of the K10d and the modern high ISO specs, the K5 would be in the back-up stable.
02-14-2017, 11:55 AM - 3 Likes   #2398
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One of my favorites!

This is one of my favorite K10D images, taken outside Toledo, Spain in 2010. The colors and textures make it look almost like scenery from a model railroad setup.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
02-14-2017, 03:10 PM - 3 Likes   #2399
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Still a good choice

My K10 is the only dslr camera I've ever owned, and of all the cameras I've had in the past it's still my favorite to use.

Here are a few reasons why.

02-14-2017, 08:20 PM - 1 Like   #2400
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Very nice set of shots. That's a really beautiful area
Thank you.

---------- Post added 02-14-17 at 09:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I can see why the K30mm/2.8 has got such a great reputation. There's so much detail in those shots.

Yes, there's definitely the classic K10D rendering in that first shot -- that almost slide film look. People say that you can replicate it with a CMOS sensor in post-processing, but strangely I've never seen an example of anybody actually doing that. At the moment I'm finding that I have to guess whether to take my CMOS or CCD camera with me, depending on where I'm going and what I think the light will be like. I like to travel light, with just a camera and one extra lens, and I'm very reluctant to start lugging a second body around. But recently I have been looking for a bigger lightweight bag so that I can do exactly that.
Thank you. My K5ii did not even come out of the bag. First shot was at Ruby Beach on the Washington state coast. The second was at Lake Crescent and the third was just at sunset at Mt. St. Helens. One long road trip from Whidbey Island to Beaverton, Oregon.