Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2017, 02:21 PM - 2 Likes   #2416
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
That's a good question. Truth is, the results weren't great straight off the camera. They had overcast weather with dull grey light, so I'm not sure that any jpeg settings could have produced photos with much zing. And there's also the factor that my father (who I know will never read this) is pretty hopeless with a camera. On the few occasions over the years that my mother has got her hands on a camera she's turned out to have a great natural eye, but it's always been Dad who has insisted on taking his usual crappy snapshots.

Anyway, here's a couple of samples, with the original jpegs straight off the camera and my own very quick edits that took about a minute each. I've straightened the horizons and cropped to fit, then stretched the RGB levels and adjusted gamma to what seems right to me, and that's it. Pure guesswork when I've got no idea what the actual scene looked like. And I confess that I did clone out a stray seagull wing in the first one.

On the whole I'm happy with the settings used, because at least they produced jpegs with plenty of potential for fixing, and it saved me the hassle of processing loads of raw files. The camera did a great job of auto-exposing to protect the highlights, and I was pleasantly surprised by how much shadow detail could be recovered from the jpeg files.

Just as a reminder to everyone, and sorry for shouting, but I DID NOT TAKE THESE CRAPPY PHOTOS!!!!!

They enjoyed the cruise despite the weather not being great. They love the Cunard experience, and have happily done the transatlantic crossing several times when you're just on the Queen Mary in the middle of the Atlantic for six days.
Dave,
I think you worked your magic quite well on those shots. For JPGs, you have really shown what can be done to give life to rather dull images. To me, the compositions are not all that bad and I feel that you are being a bit hard on your dear father. The weather conditions were not favourable but he took the shots anyway...as we would have done, too. And with your skills, they were recoverable.

So, all was not lost. I must try your suggested settings on my K10D and see what they produce for me even though the weather here does not match your local conditions. I'll experiment anyway.

02-18-2017, 02:49 PM   #2417
Site Supporter

A picture of me (on timer and manual focus), not sharp at all, but I kind of like it, because of the effects on the background. Shot with a Soligor 135mm f2.8 Tele-Auto lense on manual focus. It's kind of hard to get a self-portrait when you are alone and have to rely on the manual focus... I got sharper pictures, but the effects are a bit less spectacular...
02-19-2017, 08:06 PM - 1 Like   #2418
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Creek crossing - K10D with the DA18-55:

---------- Post added 02-19-17 at 09:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by VmaxNL Quote
A picture of me (on timer and manual focus), not sharp at all, but I kind of like it, because of the effects on the background. Shot with a Soligor 135mm f2.8 Tele-Auto lense on manual focus. It's kind of hard to get a self-portrait when you are alone and have to rely on the manual focus... I got sharper pictures, but the effects are a bit less spectacular...
Not bad, considering . Pretty tricky thing to do - I guess you could try pre-focusing on the area where you'll be standing. Welcome to the Club!
02-20-2017, 08:32 PM - 1 Like   #2419
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Family portrait. Dusk approaching. Chinar f2.8 35mm, wide open

02-21-2017, 03:41 AM - 6 Likes   #2420
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
Family portrait. Dusk approaching. Chinar f2.8 35mm, wide open

Between us we might be able to turn this into an equine thread hijack!

Ponies in the mist with the Super Takumar 20mm.

02-21-2017, 05:48 AM   #2421
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Between us we might be able to turn this into an equine thread hijack!

Ponies in the mist with the Super Takumar 20mm.
Oh, that's a lovely shot, Dave. Very good choice of focal length
02-21-2017, 07:33 AM - 1 Like   #2422
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Oh, that's a lovely shot, Dave. Very good choice of focal length
Yep, I agree!

One of many of my favorite K10D shots.

I had to work hard with the K10D to get decent shots in low light, but it was worth it! Great camera!

Regards!

02-21-2017, 07:37 AM   #2423
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Yep, I agree!

One of many of my favorite K10D shots.

I had to work hard with the K10D to get decent shots in low light, but it was worth it! Great camera!

Regards!
Nice What lens did you use for that one?
02-21-2017, 07:54 AM - 3 Likes   #2424
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Nice What lens did you use for that one?
Thanks! It was when I got my first Bigma 50-500......I was in heaven!

Gallery here.... BIG BIRDS 2007 Photo Gallery by James Williams at pbase.com

Those were fun days! I had them nesting in my "Woods of Otis" and it was a thrill to shoot them daily! Some wonderful K10D memories!

Regards!
02-21-2017, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #2425
Forum Member

I feel outdated for using a k10D. But it still works.

02-21-2017, 10:02 AM   #2426
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tootal2 Quote
The operative phrase there is 'it still works'. The K10D is still a highly capable camera, as evidenced by the photos members have posted in this thread. One thing that photographers seem to have forgotten since camera technology has converged with computer technology is that you don't have to have the latest and greatest gear to take stunning photos.

It used to be that a camera was viable until it physically wore out, got broken beyond repair, or the necessary film was no longer available for it. When I was working as a newspaper reporter/photographer in the late '80s and early '90s, I had colleagues who were using cameras made in the '60s and '70s and getting great results. Today, people feel like they need to retire their 'outdated' gear just because there's something on the market today that has more megapixels. The K10D was an exceptional camera when it was new and one could spend a whole lot more today and get much less of a camera, even if it has more megapixels.
02-21-2017, 10:31 AM - 1 Like   #2427
Veteran Member

And works very nicely too!

QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
The K10D was an exceptional camera when it was new and one could spend a whole lot more today and get much less of a camera, even if it has more megapixels.
While I enjoy the advances in my K1, like the far superior AF and low light AF, the K10D was one of my most loved cameras. You had to work to get what you wanted and also recognize your limitation in low light. The K1 does not produce noticeably better results in good light or where fast AF is not a factor.
Will my K1 do more things? Sure, but mostly things I never do anyhow. Advances only become relevant if they are relevant to you. The K10D brought me a ton of joy, and shots were "accomplishments"...not just quick snaps!

Processing has improved too....and maybe I have improved a little myself...but the K10D could still make me happy! When I got my K20D I gave my K10D to a lady that wanted to go digital from film but couldn't afford it. She was thrilled with the K10D...I think I told that story here before.....wonderful camera! If people say bad things about the K10D, you guys call me, I'll be more than happy to set them straight!

Better processing is available 10 years after the original shot...

Best Regards! ..You guys enjoy your K10D cameras, you are lucky to have them!
Attached Images

02-21-2017, 10:41 AM - 2 Likes   #2428
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I feel outdated for using a k10D
I don't. There are times when I specifically choose it over my K5, the newest body I own. For example, last Fall I attended a car show in the area. Beautiful day to take advantage of the K10D's brilliant color rendering. I was not unhappy with the results. (previously posted here)

02-21-2017, 12:49 PM - 6 Likes   #2429
Veteran Member

This is something I shot back in 2008, a few months after first buying my K10D.

Pentax K10D
SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL
02-21-2017, 01:01 PM   #2430
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
I don't. There are times when I specifically choose it over my K5, the newest body I own. For example, last Fall I attended a car show in the area. Beautiful day to take advantage of the K10D's brilliant color rendering.
For sure. The K10 performs very well under bright sunlight. One of the many reasons I really like mine.