Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2017, 10:00 PM   #2446
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MrTiburon Quote
Hi all,
Just joined the forum, just found this thread.
I'm thinking about upgrading my K10D to something newer (I didn't do photos for couple of years now and just dug camera out) and simply get rid/part exchange K10D. After reading your posts and looking at your photos I felt that I have to leave this old tRusty camera with me. Still going to look for an upgrade but K10D stays with me too. I'll post couple of photos made with it as soon as I dig them out from my old pc. Want to contribute a bit in this beautiful thread.
Welcome to the clubhouse Mr T.

02-23-2017, 02:30 AM - 1 Like   #2447
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As promised. Here's couple of shots from my K10D. Have more of those somewhere. Will definitely post couple of them in some time.
Welcome Mr Shark. Nothing wrong with those shots. No reason to get rid of your K10D even if you do "upgrade" to something newer. I now have a K-3 as you can see from my sig line but I won't be parting with my K10D. It's the last of the CCD sensors and they are special.
02-23-2017, 02:51 AM   #2448
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
Welcome Mr Shark. Nothing wrong with those shots. No reason to get rid of your K10D even if you do "upgrade" to something newer.
Hiya!
I was ready to get part exchange it to get some (not much) cash towards newer body but since it's still going strong on the forum and there are so many beautiful threads with lovely photos my sentimental side told me to leave it with me and save for a bit longer for new body. There are lovely years and thousands of photos behind me and K10D. It may retire and work less than it used to but it gonna stay. Thanks to all of you here
02-23-2017, 03:16 AM - 1 Like   #2449
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I was ready to get part exchange it to get some (not much) cash towards newer body but since it's still going strong on the forum and there are so many beautiful threads with lovely photos my sentimental side told me to leave it with me and save for a bit longer for new body. There are lovely years and thousands of photos behind me and K10D. It may retire and work less than it used to but it gonna stay. Thanks to all of you here

Yes, definitely hang on to the K10D at least until you've had a chance to use it alongside a newer body for a while. Many people are quite surprised by how much flatter the colours are from a CMOS sensor when they first switch to one, after being used to a CCD. Most of us here in the K10D Club own newer cameras as well, and they are certainly much better at high ISO settings, but we all keep coming back to the K10D (and its GX-10 clone) because of the unique look it gives at lower ISO.

02-23-2017, 06:42 AM   #2450
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To those thinking of upgrading from the K10D, if you read this discussion thread from the beginning, you will find tales of people who upgraded and got rid of their old K10D, thinking they'd never use it again. Then, they later regretted that decision, and purchased a used K10D from somebody else so that they had one again! That isn't always a money saving sequence of events. As Dave suggests, after the excitement over the new upgrade body subsides, you might discover that you still want to take the old K10D out for certain kinds of pictures that the new one just doesn't do as well -- despite its higher resolution, better high-iso performance, or other bells and whistles.

02-23-2017, 07:03 AM - 1 Like   #2451
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Another one from the foggy afternoon the other day, this time at the appropriately named Foggintor Quarry. The compression to web size has caused some banding in the sky, which is a shame. Super Takumar 20mm again. Why carry anything else?

02-23-2017, 08:07 AM   #2452
Forum Member

My k10D doesn't seem to be communicating with my Pentax af-360fgz. The flash does work with the k10D. But the lens information is wrong.

How can I fix this?

02-23-2017, 08:09 AM - 2 Likes   #2453
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K10D produces some vibrant color (except when there isn't much color to start with).
02-23-2017, 08:49 AM   #2454
Forum Member

How do I find out what firmware my k10D has installed?

02-23-2017, 09:16 AM   #2455
Pentaxian

Hiya!
If the light is good, or if you are using a tripod, you can't beat the K10D. Good on you to keep it... And please share some pictures
02-23-2017, 09:59 AM   #2456
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tootal2 Quote
I figured it out and installed the new firmware. But I think there is something wrong with my Pentax k10D. It seems to have a problem communicating with lenses and flash. I cleaned all the contacts as good as could.

02-23-2017, 09:59 AM   #2457
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tootal2 Quote
I don't have a dedicated Pentax flash for my K10D. It could be that certain settings have to be checked in the menu when using one, but I don't really know. Do you have a manual for your K10D?

You said lens info isn't correct, but you didn't include the crucial information of what lens. Also, have you not had this problem before with that lens? I wouldn't think the flash and lens problems are related. I shoot a lot of old manual lenses, so the idea that the camera doesn't know everything about the lens is kind of normal in my world and doesn't indicate a technical problem. Anyway, if you tell more about the lens info issue, somebody should be able to help you with that.

I forget exactly where you find the firmware version info. I know it's easy to find. Someone who remembers it off the top of their head will let you know if they see your question.
02-23-2017, 10:09 AM   #2458
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
The K10D produces some vibrant color (except when there isn't much color to start with).
Is that Montana "snrain"?

02-23-2017, 10:13 AM   #2459
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
I forget exactly where you find the firmware version info. I know it's easy to find. Someone who remembers it off the top of their head will let you know if they see your question.
I believe you hold the menu button down while powering up the camera.
02-23-2017, 10:30 AM   #2460
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
If the light is good, or if you are using a tripod, you can't beat the K10D. Good on you to keep it... And please share some pictures
I've decided to keep it thanks to you guys

I've posted couple of photos above. Need to dig out more of them from my old computer. I will as soon as I'll have a chance