Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12503 Likes Search this Thread
05-29-2017, 06:10 AM   #2746
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THAN THE SWORD Quote
Goats - great advice, I had not even thought that it might be the firmware. With great hope I figured out how to update the K10. But again was met with failure. The camera went from Ver 1.30 to 1.31.

A virgin sacrifice? Some chickens perhaps? Anything that might work is worthwhile. Otherwise it will make a nice addition to my old camera collection (also know as my paperweight collection...)
Dang it! Well, the firmware was worth a try. Too bad it didn't fix the problem.

My first CD player I got used from a guy I worked with at the time. He said if it stopped working to unplug it and take it for a drive around the block in my vehicle, and plug it in again. That actually worked a few times when the player's intermittent breakdowns occurred. Maybe some electronics just need a change of scenery from time to time. I did finally have to replace the player, though.

Well, you might want to start watching for a replacement K10D, but perhaps another suggestion will come through that will set the old one right again. Good luck!

05-29-2017, 08:50 AM   #2747

Photos: Gallery
No joy on the remote. I can hear something go Whirr when the shutter release activates. Sort of like a older car trying to turn over zs the battery is dieing. Yes my batteries are fully charged.

Each great suggestion stirs hope and then is quickly dashed. But if someone has another idea I am waiting here with paperweight in hand.
05-29-2017, 09:36 AM   #2748
Pentaxian

No joy on the remote. I can hear something go Whirr when the shutter release activates. Sort of like a older car trying to turn over zs the battery is dieing. Yes my batteries are fully charged. Each great suggestion stirs hope and then is quickly dashed. But if someone has another idea I am waiting here with paperweight in hand.

There should be an option in the debug menu called RELEASE AGING (sic), which is used in the factory to continuously fire the shutter for testing. I've used this in the past to clear a stuck shutter (on a K100D), but it was only a temporary solution because the underlying problem was mechanical -- stripped nylon gears in the mirror/shutter assembly. Using PK Tether is the easiest way to get your K10D into debug mode, so if the RELEASE AGING option exists in your firmware version it's worth a try.

I'm pressed for time now so I can't try it out myself and give you a more detailed description, but I should be able to give it a go tomorrow.
05-29-2017, 10:44 AM   #2749

Another fine idea ( I Hope). But I have no idea of how to get to the Debug menu.

I await further information from you.

05-29-2017, 11:38 AM - 2 Likes   #2750

Posting how tos, and more from the K10D and Takumars...

Thanks everyone for the welcome.

This is my first time in PentaxForums, though I've browsed it for reviews etc for years. Is there somewhere here it has the basics of posting? I want to know how to reply to people by inserting quotes of what they said previously. I can see each reply has a "Quote" button at the bottom right, but how do you do this for multiple people on one reply, as many of you do?

Also how do you reply directed at a specific person, you know like with other apps (eg the Flickr mobile app) you use @DanJames etc and it makes a hyperlink automatically?

Back on the K10 front, I went out for a wander today between showers with mine and a couple of Takumars. These from the Super Takumar 55/1.8 -

(I've tried to post the 800px from my Flickr, plus made it a link to the original page in Flickr. I inserted pic first, pasting in the URL of the 800px image, then made that whole line including the IMG tags a URL to the original page in Flickr. Is this the best way to do it? Thanks!)

I've found some of the A series lenses (even maybe one or two M series) very colourful on the K10D, almost too colourful. With the Takumars though especially (and a few other vintage lenses) it seems their older, possible lower contrast and more subtle colours combine very well with the vivid sensor of the K10D to give overall a very natural and elegant look.

Wondering (not for the first time!) whether indeed I need any other lenses than Takumars...

Dan
05-29-2017, 11:52 AM   #2751
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Next to the Quote button is a button that looks like a sheet of paper. Click that for all of the posts (except the last one) that you want to quote; then click the Quote button for the last post you want to quote.
05-29-2017, 03:03 PM   #2752

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan James Quote
Thanks everyone for the welcome.

This is my first time in PentaxForums, though I've browsed it for reviews etc for years. Is there somewhere here it has the basics of posting? I want to know how to reply to people by inserting quotes of what they said previously. I can see each reply has a "Quote" button at the bottom right, but how do you do this for multiple people on one reply, as many of you do?

Also how do you reply directed at a specific person, you know like with other apps (eg the Flickr mobile app) you use @DanJames etc and it makes a hyperlink automatically?

Back on the K10 front, I went out for a wander today between showers with mine and a couple of Takumars. These from the Super Takumar 55/1.8 -

(I've tried to post the 800px from my Flickr, plus made it a link to the original page in Flickr. I inserted pic first, pasting in the URL of the 800px image, then made that whole line including the IMG tags a URL to the original page in Flickr. Is this the best way to do it? Thanks!)

I've found some of the A series lenses (even maybe one or two M series) very colourful on the K10D, almost too colourful. With the Takumars though especially (and a few other vintage lenses) it seems their older, possible lower contrast and more subtle colours combine very well with the vivid sensor of the K10D to give overall a very natural and elegant look.

Wondering (not for the first time!) whether indeed I need any other lenses than Takumars...

Dan
Hi Dan..Very nice pictures..
I have a couple of Takumars myself, And enjoy using older third party lenses like Soligors and Vivitars ect..

05-29-2017, 03:24 PM   #2753
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is there somewhere here it has the basics of posting? I want to know how to reply to people by inserting quotes of what they said previously. I can see each reply has a "Quote" button at the bottom right, but how do you do this for multiple people on one reply, as many of you do?

Hey Dan, welcome to the clubhouse.

Go here for everything you ever wanted to know about using this forum and the many great features it has to offer.

The @UseerName mention feature doesn't work with the forum software here, sorry. I don't think it is something that Adam has added to the toolbox.

Oh, by the way, great photos!
05-29-2017, 07:35 PM - 1 Like   #2754
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K10D
iso1600
Spiratone (Sigma) f/8 Mirror-Ultratel 500mm
1/640 sec. (handheld)
cropped & adjusted digitally, including conversion to B&W

Last edited by goatsNdonkey; 05-29-2017 at 07:52 PM.
05-30-2017, 02:09 AM   #2755
Pentaxian

Another fine idea ( I Hope). But I have no idea of how to get to the Debug menu. I await further information from you.

Okay, so first the inevitable disclaimer: I'm not using the same firmware version as you, so this might work or it might not. Since your camera is bricked anyway, you might as well give it a try.

Download PK Tether from here: PK_Tether – Tethering software for Pentax DSLR |. Connect your camera to your computer via USB and switch it on. PK Tether should detect the camera and take control of it.

As a first step, try to simply take a photo using the shutter button in PK Tether. If that works then at least you'll know that the shutter is mechanically functional. If it doesn't work, try debug mode.

On my version of PK Tether there is a menu item at the top left for debug mode. In older versions of PK Tether it was one of the options among the main camera settings. Either way, click the button to enable debug mode and you will now get the debug menu on the camera.

Scroll down to the item in the debug menu called RELEASE AGING (if it exists in your firmware version) and enable it. The shutter should now fire continuously until you disable RELEASE AGING. If the shutter does fire, cancel RELEASE AGING and disable debug mode using PK Tether, and hopefully the camera will now work. If not even RELEASE AGING can make the shutter fire then the camera needs repairs that are really not economical. Just replace it.

I've had to leave this all a lot more general than I'd like to, because we're using different firmware versions on different models of the camera (mine is the GX-10). So I simply can't give you guaranteed accurate details of what you will see. If you're the sort of person who is willing to look through a list of menu options on a screen and use your common sense (and Google) to figure out what's what, you'll be fine. But if you're the type that panics at any unexpected menu or pop-up and starts randomly pressing OK, then please DO NOT even try this. You'll just make your dead camera even deader.
05-30-2017, 03:36 AM   #2756

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote

K10D
iso1600
Spiratone (Sigma) f/8 Mirror-Ultratel 500mm
1/640 sec. (handheld)
cropped & adjusted digitally, including conversion to B&W
That's awesome, ✔✔💯🌞✌

05-30-2017, 01:32 PM - 3 Likes   #2757

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Next to the Quote button is a button that looks like a sheet of paper. Click that for all of the posts (except the last one) that you want to quote; then click the Quote button for the last post you want to quote.
Thanks Parallax, very neat how you can do multiple quotes. Hopefully it's working in this reply!

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSteele Quote
Hi Dan..Very nice pictures..
I have a couple of Takumars myself, And enjoy using older third party lenses like Soligors and Vivitars ect..
Thanks MJ. I love Takumars. Just won a 28/3.5 Super this evening! Never tried a Soligor, but I do have a Vivitar on the way actually, 70-150mm f/3.8 in K mount. I have the Pentax-M Zoom 75-150mm f/4, which has surprised me (in a good way!), so it'll be interesting to compare the Vivitar, which has some very decent reviews here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Hey Dan, welcome to the clubhouse.

Go here for everything you ever wanted to know about using this forum and the many great features it has to offer.

The @UseerName mention feature doesn't work with the forum software here, sorry. I don't think it is something that Adam has added to the toolbox.

Oh, by the way, great photos!
Thanks Racer, for the pointers and the comments on my photos.

A couple more from a recent wander with the K10D and this time the amazingly tiny preset Takumar 105/2.8.

This one above was at ISO400. I usually use the K10D at ISO100, but with rainy conditions I thought I'd rather have potentially more noise in the background than a blurred composition from too low a shutter speed. As it happens I really like the look anyway, it reminds me of Superia 100, my favourite film.

Back to ISO100.

Both of these are further cementing the theory that K10D + Takumar + natural greens = a very happy photographer!
05-30-2017, 06:02 PM   #2758
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clking61 Quote
That's awesome, ✔✔💯🌞✌
Thanks! The K10D might not be the best camera for astronomical work, but that doesn't mean it's completely out of its reach.

---------- Post added 05-30-17 at 08:07 PM ----------

I love seeing the picture of the hop hornbeam tree. We used to have a lot of them along a woodland edge on our place, but don't see them so much since the pasture along there grew up in other shrubs and trees over the past 30 years.

Thanks Parallax, very neat how you can do multiple quotes. Hopefully it's working in this reply!

Thanks MJ. I love Takumars. Just won a 28/3.5 Super this evening! Never tried a Soligor, but I do have a Vivitar on the way actually, 70-150mm f/3.8 in K mount. I have the Pentax-M Zoom 75-150mm f/4, which has surprised me (in a good way!), so it'll be interesting to compare the Vivitar, which has some very decent reviews here.

Thanks Racer, for the pointers and the comments on my photos.

A couple more from a recent wander with the K10D and this time the amazingly tiny preset Takumar 105/2.8.

This one above was at ISO400. I usually use the K10D at ISO100, but with rainy conditions I thought I'd rather have potentially more noise in the background than a blurred composition from too low a shutter speed. As it happens I really like the look anyway, it reminds me of Superia 100, my favourite film.

Back to ISO100.

Both of these are further cementing the theory that K10D + Takumar + natural greens = a very happy photographer!
05-30-2017, 11:07 PM - 3 Likes   #2759
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K10D can do black & white, too - F80-200:
05-31-2017, 01:28 AM   #2760
Pentaxian

Indubitably! Whenever I try other lenses and other sensors I always find myself circling back to where I started from. Nothing else captures the world the way I see it better than the K10D sensor and a Takumar (well, Kodachrome did, but that's not an option any more).

If you haven't yet discovered the Takumar Club here on Pentax Forums, I think you'll find that you fit right in. Takumar club - Page 989 - PentaxForums.com