Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2017, 12:38 PM   #2761

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
Thanks! The K10D might not be the best camera for astronomical work, but that doesn't mean it's completely out of its reach.

---------- Post added 05-30-17 at 08:07 PM ----------

I love seeing the picture of the hop hornbeam tree. We used to have a lot of them along a woodland edge on our place, but don't see them so much since the pasture along there grew up in other shrubs and trees over the past 30 years.
I just love trees generally, they seem to be fundamental to my general sense of well being. I'm fortunately to live in a pretty rural area, plus have access to lots of trees and woodland locally and at National Trust sites.

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
K10D can do black & white, too - F80-200:
Paul, how do you convert to b/w, was this done using the in camera setting, or in post processing? With film, due to the expense of b/w film and processing I've reverted to shooting colour negative film then desaturating afterwards. But I don't do it selectively for shots on the roll, I do it for all, so when I 'm shooting I'm envisioning everything as b/w shots. Just curious about your process with the K10D.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Indubitably! Whenever I try other lenses and other sensors I always find myself circling back to where I started from. Nothing else captures the world the way I see it better than the K10D sensor and a Takumar (well, Kodachrome did, but that's not an option any more).

If you haven't yet discovered the Takumar Club here on Pentax Forums, I think you'll find that you fit right in. Takumar club - Page 989 - PentaxForums.com
Thanks Dave, yes funnily enough I came across the Takumar Club a few days ago and have started reading from the start, like I did with this K10D Club thread. I've very recently bought (but not yet received) a Super Tak 150/4 and a Super Tak 28/3.5 to add my current little set of a Super Tak 55/1.8, preset Tak 105/2.8 and preset Tak 135/3.5.

Do you have any SMC or S-M-C Taks with the extra lugs on the rear? If so do they mount ok on your K10D with adapter? A couple of years back I had an S-M-C 50/1.4 which I loved on film with my Spotmatic, but when I tried to use it with the M42 > PK adapter I had then (a cheap one with inner flange) it wouldn't fully screw in. I had the same issues with M42 adapters on my Contax and EOS film bodies, so eventually sold the S-M-C 50/1.4 and focused from them on on the Super Takumar and older. Though confusingly I have seen a Super Takumar with those extra metering lugs too... I now have an official Pentax M42 > PK adapter so was wondering if any future S-M-C or SMCs I might come across would be fully usable. I can't imagine that Pentax would have released the adapter if it wasn't fully compatible with their SMC Tak lenses, which were the current lenses at the time the K mount was introduced.

---------- Post added 05-31-17 at 01:08 PM ----------

Couple more with my K10D and preset aperture Asahi Takumar 135/3.5 lens... Shot RAW and simply exported to JPEG in LightRoom, no post processing.

Also today received the OME53 eyepiece plus a diagonal split prism focusing screen. Combined they make focusing with manual focus lenses significantly easier, and I'm pleased to find too that that the focus confirm hexagon in the VF seems to tally exactly with the spilt prism, so this is an additional aid I feel I can rely on. Think it's time to sell the (only two!) AF lenses I have and just focus (ha!) on Takumars (plus maybe my three Zeiss and one or two Soviets) in M42 mount and SMC, M and A in PK mount...

05-31-2017, 06:05 PM - 2 Likes   #2762

went for walk in woods today
K10D vivitar 28 2.8

Last edited by MJSteele; 02-17-2018 at 06:50 AM.
05-31-2017, 07:15 PM   #2763
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSteele Quote
K10D vivitar 28 2.8
I love it! Great composition and the colors came our perfect.
05-31-2017, 08:15 PM   #2764
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSteele Quote
K10D vivitar 28 2.8
A very relaxing scene. Nice work.

05-31-2017, 08:26 PM - 1 Like   #2765
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K10D w/ K30 f2.8
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
05-31-2017, 08:41 PM - 1 Like   #2766
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan James Quote

Do you have any SMC or S-M-C Taks with the extra lugs on the rear? If so do they mount ok on your K10D with adapter? A couple of years back I had an S-M-C 50/1.4 which I loved on film with my Spotmatic, but when I tried to use it with the M42 > PK adapter I had then (a cheap one with inner flange) it wouldn't fully screw in. I had the same issues with M42 adapters on my Contax and EOS film bodies, so eventually sold the S-M-C 50/1.4 and focused from them on on the Super Takumar and older. Though confusingly I have seen a Super Takumar with those extra metering lugs too... I now have an official Pentax M42 > PK adapter so was wondering if any future S-M-C or SMCs I might come across would be fully usable. I can't imagine that Pentax would have released the adapter if it wasn't fully compatible with their SMC Tak lenses, which were the current lenses at the time the K mount was introduced.[COLOR="Silver"]

Hi Dan,
I have just checked on my K10D with the genuine Pentax M42->K adapter (which you say you have and which we recommend) and my SMC f2 55mm (which came with my new SP1000 in 1975) and I can confirm that it all works just fine. And, yes, you are right, Pentax would not make an adapter that would not be compatible with all Pentax M42 lenses. Most of my Taks are Super-Takumars but I do have a few SMCs/S-M-Cs and while some say they can see a difference between the two types of multi-coating, I can't.

The one thing I can see and which I really love is the colour rendering of these beautiful old lenses on the CCD sensor.

Here is an example from 2012 to show you what I mean (K10D + Super-Multi-Coated f1.8 55mm):

06-01-2017, 12:23 AM   #2767

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
Hi Dan,
I have just checked on my K10D with the genuine Pentax M42->K adapter (which you say you have and which we recommend) and my SMC f2 55mm (which came with my new SP1000 in 1975) and I can confirm that it all works just fine. And, yes, you are right, Pentax would not make an adapter that would not be compatible with all Pentax M42 lenses. Most of my Taks are Super-Takumars but I do have a few SMCs/S-M-Cs and while some say they can see a difference between the two types of multi-coating, I can't.

The one thing I can see and which I really love is the colour rendering of these beautiful old lenses on the CCD sensor.

Here is an example from 2012 to show you what I mean (K10D + Super-Multi-Coated f1.8 55mm):

Thanks Ray, that's good to know. I can add SMC and S-M-C lenses to future wishlists! The yellow of that car is gorgeous. I've mentioned here already I think that using M and A lenses the colours with the K10D can almost be too brash and saturated, but with the Takumars the shots seem more natural and balanced somehow. Greens are just amazing with the K10D and a Tak! And the handling and luxurious feel of the focus and aperture rings are better than any other lens I've used. Plus I just find it easier to use M42 lenses on the K10D on Av mode, rather than K series on M mode with the green button, where the metering is a bit off now and then. Even with A lenses on Av the metering seems to need a bit of tweaking, more than with M42 lenses...

06-01-2017, 01:19 AM   #2768
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Do you have any SMC or S-M-C Taks with the extra lugs on the rear? If so do they mount ok on your K10D with adapter?

I haven't had any problems with the open aperture lug on the later Taks. I keep a cheap adapter on each lens to speed up changes (with the spring clip removed), and every adapter I've tried depresses the extra pin correctly. And I'm in complete agreement with you about the naturalistic colour rendering: it's my main reason for preferring my Takumars above all others.

Looking forward to seeing your results particularly with the 28mm when it arrives. Is it the early one with the 58mm filter ring, or the later one with the 49mm ring? The 24mm is also a mighty lens if you can get one for a sensible price - I think the sharpest of the wide Taks. And if you get the chance to own the 20mm, just do it. Don't even stop to think.
06-01-2017, 01:52 AM   #2769
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Ray, that's good to know. I can add SMC and S-M-C lenses to future wishlists! The yellow of that car is gorgeous. I've mentioned here already I think that using M and A lenses the colours with the K10D can almost be too brash and saturated, but with the Takumars the shots seem more natural and balanced somehow. Greens are just amazing with the K10D and a Tak! And the handling and luxurious feel of the focus and aperture rings are better than any other lens I've used. Plus I just find it easier to use M42 lenses on the K10D on Av mode, rather than K series on M mode with the green button, where the metering is a bit off now and then. Even with A lenses on Av the metering seems to need a bit of tweaking, more than with M42 lenses...
Your comments on the early K-mounts are interesting. I have occasionally been tempted to get one or two but I have a very good range of Takumars that work well in AV mode and are very nice to use. All my K-mount lenses are late model AF zooms and a couple of plastic fantastic primes (50mm and 35mm). Yes, I have those two focal lengths in Takumars but sometimes it is easier and quicker to change a K-mount!
06-01-2017, 08:40 AM   #2770
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Paul, how do you convert to b/w, was this done using the in camera setting, or in post processing? With film, due to the expense of b/w film and processing I've reverted to shooting colour negative film then desaturating afterwards. But I don't do it selectively for shots on the roll, I do it for all, so when I 'm shooting I'm envisioning everything as b/w shots. Just curious about your process with the K10D.
Hi Dan. Sometimes I'll "see" a b/w shot opportunity while out shooting, but usually it's a decision made during PP. If the image has some special textures or lighting, I'll try a mono conversion. I'm running a Linux system, and use a combo of RawTherapee and digiKam/showFoto for processing. digiKam has some interesting film emulation presets - I'll use Tri-X, or one of the Agfa or Ilford film profiles, then tweak the tones and contrast a bit, depending on the image. I should mention RawTherapee also has some film profiles, but I have not fully explored those yet.

Congrats on the new Tak! I also have the early 58mm version ST28/3.5 and like it very much. Mine has a slight decentering issue, so I may send it out for repair one of these days. Looking forward to seeing what you can do with yours!

Another recent one with the F80-200:

Last edited by paulh; 06-01-2017 at 08:46 AM.
06-01-2017, 08:54 AM   #2771

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I love it! Great composition and the colors came our perfect.
Thanks CR i really love the color renditions this camera sensor gives

---------- Post added 06-01-17 at 08:57 AM ----------

A very relaxing scene. Nice work.
Thank you Ray
i do love this area of the park.Less crowds and lots of subject matter here
06-01-2017, 09:17 AM - 1 Like   #2772
Pentaxian

Your comments on the early K-mounts are interesting. I have occasionally been tempted to get one or two but I have a very good range of Takumars that work well in AV mode and are very nice to use. All my K-mount lenses are late model AF zooms and a couple of plastic fantastic primes (50mm and 35mm). Yes, I have those two focal lengths in Takumars but sometimes it is easier and quicker to change a K-mount!
I think the K series is either identical or at least very similar to the SMC or S-M-C Takumars in terms of look and coatings (with exception to later lenses like the K 24 2.8 which is really an M era lens, but was called a K because it is quite larger than most M's of shorter focal lengths).

This is the K 55 f2 for example, which by all accounts should be the same as the SMC Takumar 55 f2.

06-01-2017, 09:37 AM   #2773

I think the K series is either identical or at least very similar to the SMC or S-M-C Takumars in terms of look and coatings (with exception to later lenses like the K 24 2.8 which is really an M era lens, but was called a K because it is quite larger than most M's of shorter focal lengths).

This is the K 55 f2 for example, which by all accounts should be the same as the SMC Takumar 55 f2.

Very nice shots
Really like the yellow in the one with the raindrop
06-01-2017, 09:52 AM   #2774
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Yes, you're absolutely right. Many of the K series are basically late model Takumars with a K mount instead of M42. I notice that Dan only mentions Super Takumars and presets in his list of the ones he's got so far, so Dan: be careful. You might not like the rendering characteristics of the late Takumars as much as the ones you've got at the moment. Personally I'll always go for a Super Takumar if I've got the option.

Except that Christian's shot of the yellow flower makes me think that, yes, sometimes you really do need the punchier colours of the later lenses. . .
06-01-2017, 10:19 AM - 2 Likes   #2775
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Except that Christian's shot of the yellow flower makes me think that, yes, sometimes you really do need the punchier colours of the later lenses. . .
Well that shot was at f8 where the lens is at its contrastier (and probably some of it is PP, but the colors are quite punchier stopped down).

Luckily, I have the same flower taken by about the same time, at f2. The colors are much more subdued and of course 98% of the picture becomes bokeh. Also, it's taken from a bit of a different angle.