Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12504 Likes Search this Thread
06-11-2017, 03:32 PM - 1 Like   #2836
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I like how it pops out from the background Ray. Even if it isn't as sharp as desired, it still came out well.

I'm getting to the point where I can't always hold the camera steady enough by hand, and am using a tripod more and more. As an added benefit, I find that it forces me to take a deeper look at the composition, and take more care at exposure and observation of the light onthe subject.

So it takes more work to make an image, but the results are better.
Thanks, Racer. Yes, I am sure I could have done better if I had used a tripod. That Tamron 70-210 has just never pleased me as much on digital as it did when I was shooting film. So, it might just go back in the camera bag as I have other lenses that I prefer using. It might be time to get out the SMC Takumar 200 f4.

06-11-2017, 08:45 PM   #2837
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My old Vivitar 19/3.8 decided to completely lock up a couple months ago. Until I can replace that FL, I've been using the kit 18-55 fixed at 20mm. Here's a couple attempts, using a K10D. (xposted from the 20mm Club)
Buttonbush at the lake:

Our dog Jeannie wandering the picnic areas...
06-12-2017, 07:33 AM - 3 Likes   #2838
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For classic cars lovers
All shots with DA* 16-50mm F2.8

06-12-2017, 08:45 AM - 1 Like   #2839
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sunset clouds last night. K10D and DA* 50-135. Xpst.

06-12-2017, 09:40 AM   #2840
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by J8B Quote
My K10D has been gathering dust for some time now. Having found this thread I dusted it off, charged it up, and got out early to shoot some frames. It's easy to forget how good a camera this is. My camera has a bunch of dust on the sensor, but it's a joy to use and produced good outputs.

Really beautiful photos. Welcome to the club.
06-12-2017, 10:46 AM   #2841
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
What Dave said ^^. Gorgeous shots, especially the first one.
06-12-2017, 03:35 PM   #2842
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by J8B Quote
My K10D has been gathering dust for some time now. Having found this thread I dusted it off, charged it up, and got out early to shoot some frames. It's easy to forget how good a camera this is. My camera has a bunch of dust on the sensor, but it's a joy to use and produced good outputs. I've neglected it in place of a K-01, and then sold the K-01 to get a Fuji XE-1. Would love to get a K-1 down the track. The pixel-shift mode sounds great, but finances limit such a move at the moment

All taken at Glenelg foreshore this morning (Adelaide, South Australia).
I am glad that you dusted off the old K10D. Those night shots at Glenelg are superb. I know that area well as my mother lives in Adelaide. I might try to replicate those shots next time I am there.

06-12-2017, 03:48 PM   #2843
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K10D and DA* 50-135, center crop.
06-13-2017, 03:41 AM - 1 Like   #2844
J8B

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Thanks Dave. Plan to get it out a bit more now that it's refreshed my memory of how capable it is

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
I am glad that you dusted off the old K10D. Those night shots at Glenelg are superb. I know that area well as my mother lives in Adelaide. I might try to replicate those shots next time I am there.
Yeah it's nice down there. A bit cool at the moment in the early hours of the morning, but many different photographic options. It's a nice spot for sunsets too. I tried a panoramic under the jetty too the other morning, but the light had increased a bit too much by then. To get a nice blurred water I took three 6-shot multi-exposure images (using the K10D's multi-exposure capability) and then stitched them using Microsoft ICE.

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
What Dave said ^^. Gorgeous shots, especially the first one.
Thanks Paul.
06-13-2017, 03:55 PM   #2845
J8B

Photos: Albums
And thank you for pointing out the colour balance problem with the second image. Mea culpa. LEE filters can often introduce a colour cast which is easily fixed by increasing the colour temp to 10000 and, stupidly, I had forgotten to do that. I have now corrected it. Does this look better?

Here's a 5X3 pano I took with the K10D in May 2015 with a 35 mm/f 3.5 Super-Takumar:

Plenty of detail there.

Some great photos there Ray.

Have been looking back through some of the older posts. Lots of great K10 shots.
06-14-2017, 07:24 AM   #2846
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 3rd party looks awfully close to the original in how the clip mechanism appears. If it works the same as the original, you don't need a special tool. I can usually move the spring with my fingernail on my originals, and I keep my fingernails pretty short. Or a ballpoint pen tip could move the spring enough to release the adapter.

Someone will say that lenses might not thread into the 3rd party adapter so that the top of the lens is precisely straight up. I wouldn't worry about it, the same thing happens with my original Pentax adapters, I don't know why. Not perfect QC at the Pentax plant, I guess.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
So I think I'll ask this question here to my fellow K10D friends who love their Takumars, instead of the whole forum.

I can get a good deal on a couple of Takumar lenses with a third-party adapter that does not come with the removal tool. The adapter looks like the one in the left in this picture:

I would rather not really pay 40-50 dollars for a genuine Pentax adapter right now, we are moving soon and money is short. This Takumar set will be purchased with my "lens piggy bank" that I got from selling other stuff

So my question is, is that adapter going to get stuck in the camera, or in one of the lenses? Or can it still be taken out without the tool? Also, am I going to need additional gear like that rubber ring that some people here use to prevent light leaks from the adapter? I haven't had m42 lenses before, so pardon my newbieness

I know there's threads on this already but it seems like people have different opinions and sometimes it's difficult to know who knows what they are talking about... and I know you guys use this stuff on a daily basis

---------- Post added 06-14-17 at 09:27 AM ----------

What happened to the message I replied to ????????????????????????????????????????????? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
06-14-2017, 07:43 AM   #2847
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
The 3rd party looks awfully close to the original in how the clip mechanism appears. If it works the same as the original, you don't need a special tool. I can usually move the spring with my fingernail on my originals, and I keep my fingernails pretty short. Or a ballpoint pen tip could move the spring enough to release the adapter.

Someone will say that lenses might not thread into the 3rd party adapter so that the top of the lens is precisely straight up. I wouldn't worry about it, the same thing happens with my original Pentax adapters, I don't know why. Not perfect QC at the Pentax plant, I guess.

---------- Post added 06-14-17 at 09:27 AM ----------

What happened to the message I replied to ????????????????????????????????????????????? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey I ended up deleting it thinking it was too dumb a question... it seemed obvious that I would need the tool. Thanks for proving me wrong This is why I wanted to ask in here in the first place, this is the friendliest place in an already friendly forum

I think I'll pull the trigger on the Takumars... this is the friendliest of places but it's also bad influence...
06-14-2017, 08:52 AM   #2848
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey I ended up deleting it thinking it was too dumb a question... it seemed obvious that I would need the tool. Thanks for proving me wrong This is why I wanted to ask in here in the first place, this is the friendliest place in an already friendly forum

I think I'll pull the trigger on the Takumars... this is the friendliest of places but it's also bad influence...
I didn't know it was a dumb question. It seemed completely reasonable to me.
06-14-2017, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #2849
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Hey I ended up deleting it thinking it was too dumb a question... it seemed obvious that I would need the tool.
No such thing as a dumb question Christian.

As for the adapters, here is what I have done. I get the cheap ones on eBay, and have one for every lens that requires an adapter. I leave one on each lens to save time fiddling with them, and reduce the likelihood of cross threading them.

One tip I can add is to remove the small spring locking clip. It caused me 2 problems.

First was that the adapter would stay on the camera when removing the lens. This leaves the mirror box open to intrusion of dust, etc. longer than I am comfortable with, plus it makes removing it difficult.

Second, on many of the cheap adapters the tiny screw that holds in on protrude into the threads. The first time you screw in onto a lens it ruins the threads on the lens. Believe me, spending an hour or so with a jeweler's thread file trying to fix the threads on a lens is no fun, and it allows for more opportunity to get foreign material in places you don't want it.

An easy and cheap way to simplify life, and free up time for making images.
06-14-2017, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #2850
Pentaxian

I do exactly what Racer does, pretty much word for word. When I'm out changing lenses in the winter cold I don't want to be messing with screw threads, so each Takumar gets its own cheap adapter. Friction alone is enough to keep the lens safely mounted.