Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2017, 03:08 PM   #2881
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My 6mp K110D was my first Pentax DSLR. I got my K10D barely a year ago, after which the K110D sat idle for a while, but now I shoot both of them more or less equally.. If I want to test a new (to me used) lens, I might use either one. If I want to keep the lens on I have the K10D on it for a while longer, for example, I'll probably use the K110D for the test. The K110D has a green button, except it's not green on the K110D.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan James Quote
I have an occasional series on my blog called "The £5 Cheap Lens Challenge" just for this purpose. The last was a Super Paragon 300/5.6 M42 with a ton of haze and fungus that I paid £1 for. Still managed to get something half decent from it!

Is the Tokina PK or M42?

Paul, a bit off topic, what does the Otis squirrel badge on your posts mean?

Dave, this won't help, but since I got a Samsung GX-1S (Pentax *ist DS2 clone I think) a couple of weeks back I've barely touched my K10D. It is simpler and lacks a couple of things (for example no green button so it can't use K mount K or M series, only A and newer and of course M42) but the VF is the same as the K10D (I've swapped in the diagonal split screen I have for my K10D whilst I have another on its way from Japan, and the OME53 eyecup magnifier so it's easy to focus with Taks etc) and it has the essentials I need - Av, exposure comp, exposure lock, histogram and blinkies - plus going back to the K10D I've realised how much lighter and smaller the Samsung is, especially after an hour or so of shooting. The handling of the K10D is the best I've experienced in any camera - film or digital - but it is heavy and tiring after a while. With a small lens like the Tak 28/3.5 of Auto-Tak 35/3.5 (or even the 55/1.8 or 55/2) it's a very compact combo, or with a long tele it's more manageable than the K10D with the same.

The final images with my Takumars I can't tell any difference with compared with the K10D, to be honest, aside from the actual full size being smaller of course as its 6MP not 10. But unless you're making huge prints I don't think this is an issue.

Anyway, whilst I still plan to use and enjoy the amazing K10D, most of the time now I see myself picking up the Samsung because of the reasons mentioned above.

A couple of things to note, if you're not aware of. It takes AA batteries, and there's a limit on the SD card you can use. I have the original firmware and a 2MP card is fine, which allows about 200 images shooting RAW - fine for any photowalk for me. I think a 4MP might work, I haven't tried. My 16MP card from the K10D doesn't work, so there is a limit somewhere between 2MP and 8MP! Worst case if you shoot hundreds of photographs at a time is you carry a couple of extra 2MP cards.

I can highly recommend the GX-1S and assume its Pentax equivalent(s) is the same. I went for this as it has the same 95% 0.95 VF as the K10D - not all the 6MP cameras have this so if it's important to you make sure you get one that does. You know of course from the K10D that the VF is really good for a DSLR.

We'll see you in the Six MegaPixel Club soon...

06-17-2017, 03:42 PM   #2882
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
The K110D has a green button, except it's not green on the K110D.
It had a green button but it's not green. Well, I'm glad we cleared that one up.
06-17-2017, 03:58 PM - 1 Like   #2883
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I have some green paint . . . . . . . . . . . .
06-17-2017, 04:18 PM   #2884
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
It had a green button but it's not green. Well, I'm glad we cleared that one up.
It closes the aperture and sets the exposure, just like the K10D's green button, but it's not green and is located differently.

06-17-2017, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #2885
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
At the moment I'm not sure if my willpower is going to get me through the weekend, so for now I'm just going to try to pretend that your thread doesn't exist
Was it not Oscar Wilde who said that the only sane way to deal with temptation was to yield to it ?
06-17-2017, 04:44 PM   #2886
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Lovely rich colours from that Tokina. Looks like a keeper.

And by the way, Paul: I've had to stop looking at your 6 Megapixel thread because I can't stand the torture anymore. First you made me go back and look at my old K100D photos and long for some more of that intense 6MP colour rendering, and each day since then I've come within a whisker of ordering a replacement for that dead camera. At the moment I'm not sure if my willpower is going to get me through the weekend, so for now I'm just going to try to pretend that your thread doesn't exist.
Resistance is futile.

You will submit.
06-17-2017, 04:58 PM - 7 Likes   #2887
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Jenny lake at Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming, USA
DA* 16-50mm F2.8

06-18-2017, 06:22 AM - 2 Likes   #2888
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Digging around the hard drive I found a shot of the house just as we were finishing up. Not quite done, still living in the single wide. Getting excited.

You would be too if you were about to move into a home you designed and had a hand in building.

So I've always wanted to make images that looked more like they were drawn by hand, and many of the thousands of photos I made of the build process were made with that in mind. Last night I dragged some out and here is one.

06-18-2017, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #2889
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Now I'm hungry.
Think I'll go take another shot of insulin...
06-18-2017, 12:42 PM   #2890

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
My 6mp K110D was my first Pentax DSLR. I got my K10D barely a year ago, after which the K110D sat idle for a while, but now I shoot both of them more or less equally.. If I want to test a new (to me used) lens, I might use either one. If I want to keep the lens on I have the K10D on it for a while longer, for example, I'll probably use the K110D for the test. The K110D has a green button, except it's not green on the K110D.
I just posted this in the Six MegaPixel Club thread, for those who were wondering about the green button option on cameras without green buttons! >>>

I've realised the Samsung GX-1S does offer stop down metering with a Pentax-M series lens. You just have to enable two things in the Custom Setting menu -

1. "Using aperture ring" - Enable shutter release when lens aperture is set at other than A. (Why would you not want this on the whole time?)

2. "FI with S lens used" - Enable focus indicator when screw mount lens in use. Lens is recognised even when no lens on camera. (This also provides the visual focus confirm indicator even with manual focus lenses, which I thought only worked with A series and newer on the GX-1S. It seems really accurate too.)

You also have to go into "AE-L button on M exposure" in the Custom menu and set it to Tv Shift.

These all enabled, the AE-L (ie exposure lock) button enables stop down metering when an M lens is set to an aperture other than wide open, like the "green button" on my K10D. You can still tweak the shutter speed up or down with the dial. Even better, whilst I find the green button's position and ergonomics a bit awkward on the K10D, the AE-L button on the GX-1S is much easier to locate and have your thumb on ready, so as a result the GX-1S is easier to use with M (and K) lenses than my K10D. I'm unlikely to get any more K or M lenses as I'm focusing on M42 now (90% Takumar) but at least I can use the ones I still have more easily now.
06-18-2017, 12:45 PM   #2891

Could you post a link to your blog, Dan? I'd love to have a look.
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Well, on the K100D and my niece's DL, you can shoot in M mode using the AE-L button as the "green button". In the menu, you need to assign it as such. I used "program line" or "Tv shift" for that setting. Of course, you need to enable use of the aperture ring as well.

Dan, the Tokina is an autofocus lens with an aperture ring with the A setting. Please do post a link to your blog, too!
Of course, thank you both for your interest!

It started as mostly a film photography blog, but the K10D and GX-1S (with vintage 35mm lenses) have led me farther down the digital path...

35hunter – Hunting for beauty and balance, camera in hand
06-18-2017, 02:16 PM - 5 Likes   #2892
Pentaxian

Navajo Land
Agathla Peak is a 6,890 ft / 2,100 m mountain peak near Kayenta, Arizona.
DA* 16-50mm F2.8

06-18-2017, 02:20 PM   #2893
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Patriot Quote
Jenny lake at Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming, USADA* 16-50mm F2.8

Beautiful sense of mood. I'm not usually a fan of that sunstar effect, but in this one you've really made it work

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan James Quote
Of course, thank you both for your interest! It started as mostly a film photography blog, but the K10D and GX-1S (with vintage 35mm lenses) have led me farther down the digital path...

Wonderful blog, Dan. I think I'm going to get a lot of pleasure from reading back through your archives - your film photography is superb. And it's good to see that you've found the settings for the GX-1S; I was sure that some sort of stop-down metering option must be in there somewhere.

---------- Post added 06-18-17 at 10:23 PM ----------

Navajo LandAgathla Peak is a 6,890 ft / 2,100 m mountain peak near Kayenta, Arizona.DA* 16-50mm F2.8

EPIC!!!

Love it! I haven't seen a photo that's made my heart leap like that one has done for a long time!
06-18-2017, 02:29 PM   #2894
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Navajo Land
Agathla Peak is a 6,890 ft / 2,100 m mountain peak near Kayenta, Arizona.
DA* 16-50mm F2.8
Simply beautiful images, Mike. For those of you who don't mind a little CMOS sensor action, check out Patriot's recent posts in the K20D thread.
06-18-2017, 02:59 PM - 5 Likes   #2895
Pentaxian

Beautiful sense of mood. I'm not usually a fan of that sunstar effect, but in this one you've really made it work
Dave thanks for the nice feedback, I hope that you will like other photos too .

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Simply beautiful images, Mike. For those of you who don't mind a little CMOS sensor action, check out Patriot's recent posts in the K20D thread.
Paul thank you too!
I'm very glad that you like my works. K-10 is the best Pentax camera in color rendering thanks to the use of CCD sensor, I love it very much and can not part it, although I have also k-20 and K-5 IIs and K-3 and K-1.

Another photo taken with K-10
Moraine Lake in Banff National Park, Canada.
I didn't get good weather for photos because it was cloudy and rainy evening when I was there.
Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC