Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2017, 05:27 PM - 6 Likes   #2926
J8B

Photos: Albums
A few black & white shearing shed shots, with the K10D, from a number of years back. First two with the Super Multi Coated Takumar 55mm f1.8, and the last with the Takumar 135mm f3.5.

06-25-2017, 11:23 PM - 2 Likes   #2927
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by J8B Quote
A few black & white shearing shed shots, with the K10D, from a number of years back. First two with the Super Multi Coated Takumar 55mm f1.8, and the last with the Takumar 135mm f3.5.
A very nice series, J8B. I have copies of both of those lenses.

---------- Post added 26-06-17 at 04:34 PM ----------

I have two screw mount Tamron SP lenses - the 70-210 and the 28-80. The full name of the latter is Tamron SP f3.5-4.2 28-80 Zoom and it is the one I prefer shooting with. So I took it out today in brilliant winter sunshine and captured some glitter on the water. I really need a lens hood but I don't have one for this lens. Maybe I should try to get one as shooting towards the sun brought in a hint of flare and I am not a big fan of that.

I have not applied any sharpening to these images and I feel that this lens is sharper on digital than it was on film.

06-26-2017, 04:27 PM - 3 Likes   #2928
Veteran Member

A snapshot from today:

Just a rose; I know! But here is the fun fact: I shot it with my defective K10D (it only shoots wide open, anyone paying $50 for such a camera?), and a promaster 28-105mm I picked on ebay a few weeks ago for $16.83 shipped! So, maybe not horrible for a picture taken in 6 sec with a $66 setup
06-26-2017, 05:45 PM   #2929
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by farhagh Quote
A snapshot from today:

Just a rose; I know! But here is the fun fact: I shot it with my defective K10D (it only shoots wide open, anyone paying $50 for such a camera?), and a promaster 28-105mm I picked on ebay a few weeks ago for $16.83 shipped! So, maybe not horrible for a picture taken in 6 sec with a $66 setup
Do you mean that if you stop the lens down, the shutter on the camera no longer works? I don't understand how that could happen.

06-26-2017, 06:55 PM   #2930
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
Do you mean that if you stop the lens down, the shutter on the camera no longer works? I don't understand how that could happen.
In manual mode, I can change the f stop on the lenses that have an aperture ring. However, the camera cannot control it. if I change the f stop, it still shoots wide open (the mechanical lever moves, but it does not work)
06-26-2017, 07:28 PM - 1 Like   #2931
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In manual mode, I can change the f stop on the lenses that have an aperture ring. However, the camera cannot control it. if I change the f stop, it still shoots wide open (the mechanical lever moves, but it does not work)
Oh, I see. I mainly shoot manual lenses without the A setting on the aperture ring, so I would hardly notice the problem if that happened to my K10D.
06-27-2017, 08:04 AM   #2932
Pentaxian

It would make a great camera to dedicate to M42 lenses, where the aperture control is not needed. In fact, some members here like Paul have cameras that they use exclusively for M42 lenses - not sure if it's because the aperture control is broken, I think it's just the convenience of leaving the adapter on it all the time... please correct me if I'm wrong, Paul

06-27-2017, 08:16 AM - 1 Like   #2933
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I think it's just the convenience of leaving the adapter on it all the time
Bingo.
Great looking shots on this page from Ray, J8B and farhagh!

A peaceful evening at the lake - Tokina 28-70, my new overachieving bargain zoom.
06-27-2017, 08:31 AM   #2934
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It would make a great camera to dedicate to M42 lenses, where the aperture control is not needed. In fact, some members here like Paul have cameras that they use exclusively for M42 lenses - not sure if it's because the aperture control is broken, I think it's just the convenience of leaving the adapter on it all the time... please correct me if I'm wrong, Paul
I agree, I wouldn't think of it as broken. It is more like it has wrinkles. I'm old enough to remember when people who got old were expected to have wrinkles, and not look (or act or think) like they were in their 20s. So the idea that an older camera might have its wrinkles, too, doesn't alarm me. I should post a set of pictures of the K-1000 I have -- it's got wrinkles and scars from its battle wounds from having been a camera used by high school photography club members for who knows how long! It's not pretty, but it will still take pictures.
06-27-2017, 09:00 AM   #2935
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I should post a set of pictures of the K-1000 I have -- it's got wrinkles and scars from its battle wounds from having been a camera used by high school photography club members for who knows how long! It's not pretty, but it will still take pictures.

Same thing with my old K1000: covered in honourably won scratches and dents, with a frame counter that hasn't worked since 1986, but still taking photos every time it's asked to. Build it simple, build it tough, and it'll just keep going.
06-27-2017, 09:49 AM - 1 Like   #2936
Pentaxian

I'm old enough to remember when people who got old were expected to have wrinkles, and not look (or act or think) like they were in their 20s
I don't look (or try to look) as if I'm in my twenties. But I am reliably informed that acting or thinking as if I were in my twenties would be a positive improvement - trouble is, it would impact adversely on my attempt to prolong childhood beyond all previously known limits.
06-27-2017, 10:56 AM - 1 Like   #2937
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up.
06-27-2017, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #2938
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up.
Okay, I get it. Even my 5 and half year old goats won't stop acting like kids.
06-27-2017, 11:30 AM   #2939

I have a K10D and a 6MP Samsung GX-1S and am currently switching the M42 adapter between the two cameras. But as I'm using M42 lenses 95% of the time I'm thinking about just getting another adapter so they're both near permanently M42.

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Bingo.
Great looking shots on this page from Ray, J8B and farhagh!

A peaceful evening at the lake - Tokina 28-70, my new overachieving bargain zoom.
Paul I literally just picked up a bargain Tokina 28-70mm today, in Pentax KA mount. I've seen good things from them and can't resist a lens that can be had for £5 plus postage! Looking forward to seeing more from yours...
06-27-2017, 12:32 PM   #2940
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dan, I have two m42 adapters, and there have been times I've had m42 lenses on my K110D and on my K10D, and maybe on my ESII film body, too! Whether m42 or K mount is the flavor of the moment, it is good to have a second Pentax dslr. If I have kind of an ongoing project with a particular lens on one of mine, and a new-to-me lens turns up needing testing out, I have the other body to plop the new lens on. Very convenient.