Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2017, 12:39 PM   #2956

QuoteOriginally posted by Patriot Quote
My old shot from 2008 Yosemite Valley from Valley viewpoint, Yosemite National Park, CA
DA 16-45mm F4.0
Patriot you are sharing some stunning photographs here, congrats!

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Thank you. It took me a few weeks to warm up to the 50mm f4 macro, but now I am very pleased with it. You get so much for the price they go for, too.

I don't know if it helps any, but I feel the same way

And he does have pictures taken with other cameras/lenses, the link I shared was his landscapes album, where he does seem to use the K10D/DA21 combination all the time! With great results, too.

I like it a lot. Like I was telling Ray, it really grew on me after the few weeks when I thought "I can do this with my 50 1.4 stopped down). It has a certain "magic" (pixie dust??) to how it renders the colors - very sharp but at the same time it's almost like a delicate rendering, nothing too aggressive or in your face like some lenses can be. But that's partially because of the K10D as well - I haven't even shot this lens on my K-S1 yet, I bet it would perform quite differently.
So far I have been able to resist the siren call of the M42 and especially the Takumars. So I don't know how they compare But I do have a lot of completely manual lenses (except for aperture control, of course) and I'm not bothered by having to use the green button for metering. Since I basically only shoot ISO 100 when in Manual mode, it gets easier for me to guess what the shutter count should be for a given aperture. Especially the M 50 f4, which I shoot in either f5.6 or f8 for the most part...

---------- Post added 06-27-17 at 05:02 PM ----------

Very sharp indeed, and I bet a lens hood would make it even better. These older lenses, especially the zooms, benefit so much from them. Even some primes - my Cosina and Tokina 24 2.8 lenses are like different beasts when shot using a hood.
I really just need to try my M Macro 50/4 more. The green button is no big deal really. I've realised my Samsung GX-1S (Pentax *ist DS2 clone) can also do the same now I've enabled the right settings in the menus. I initially used the Macro 50/4 on my Sony NEX and was pretty amazed. Just need to give it more attention on the Pentax DSLRs!

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Superb shot.

Thorns at sunset - Tokina 28-70:
Those greens Paul!! My Tokina SD 28-70 has arrived though the weather's been a bit dull to coax anything decent from it yet. Some hints of what it can do though, and it's light enough, handles pretty well and has a reasonably close focus in the "macro" mode. Though curiously it seems to shift the focal length back to about 50mm on Macro mode, rather than just enabling closer focusing at 70mm which is what other zooms like this I've used have done. Which is fine though, focusing down to around 0.2m with a 50mm is always handy!

06-30-2017, 01:16 AM - 2 Likes   #2957
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I happen discovered this small and very beautiful canyon during a visit to Zion National Park.
I tried to find the name of this place and found that it's called "Keyhole Canyon"
DA* 16-50mm F2.8

06-30-2017, 12:29 PM - 3 Likes   #2958

Inadvertent ISO800 experiment!

Playing with my new £5 bargain Tokina SD 28-70mm on the K10D tonight, I inadvertently rolled the wrong dial and change the ISO to 800. Thus far with my K10D (I've had it a couple of months) I've stuck to ISO100 99% of the time.

Far from being horribly unusable though, in my view the photograph below is more than acceptable and I actually quite like the noise of the background. It's far more like film grain than I've seen with many other digital cameras.

I don't plan to shoot often at ISO800, and will still shoot the vast majority of the time at ISO100 with the K10D, but this unexpected experiment has certainly reassured me I needn't worry too much about getting unusable images at ISO200, 400 or even 800 if/when the need arises!

Click the pic to see larger on Flickr (though the images I upload to Flickr are usually 50% size JPEGs of the original RAW file).
06-30-2017, 12:57 PM - 1 Like   #2959
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, I have said this before... I prefer the K10d to the K20d at ISO 800. The CMOS noise is much uglier. The Sony sensors handle the noise a bit better but still not as nice as the CCDs.

06-30-2017, 03:04 PM   #2960
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan James Quote
Playing with my new £5 bargain Tokina SD 28-70mm on the K10D tonight, I inadvertently rolled the wrong dial and change the ISO to 800. Thus far with my K10D (I've had it a couple of months) I've stuck to ISO100 99% of the time.

Far from being horribly unusable though, in my view the photograph below is more than acceptable and I actually quite like the noise of the background. It's far more like film grain than I've seen with many other digital cameras.

I don't plan to shoot often at ISO800, and will still shoot the vast majority of the time at ISO100 with the K10D, but this unexpected experiment has certainly reassured me I needn't worry too much about getting unusable images at ISO200, 400 or even 800 if/when the need arises!

Click the pic to see larger on Flickr (though the images I upload to Flickr are usually 50% size JPEGs of the original RAW file).
I'm the same way, keeping my K10D set at iso100 most of the time. But when I have needed to turn up the iso when conditions require it, I, too, have never found the results horrible, despite warnings I had read that the K10D has noise problems at higher isos. I keep the "noise reduction" option on, and I guess that makes some difference, but I hardly notice any noise at all up through iso400. When I can detect some noise above that, I agree that it is more like film grain.
06-30-2017, 05:09 PM   #2961
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Superb shot.

Thorns at sunset - Tokina 28-70:
Oh, such beautiful greens, Paul. No wonder that is my favourite colour.
07-01-2017, 07:51 AM   #2962
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan James Quote
Those greens Paul!! My Tokina SD 28-70 has arrived though the weather's been a bit dull to coax anything decent from it yet. Some hints of what it can do though, and it's light enough, handles pretty well and has a reasonably close focus in the "macro" mode. Though curiously it seems to shift the focal length back to about 50mm on Macro mode, rather than just enabling closer focusing at 70mm which is what other zooms like this I've used have done. Which is fine though, focusing down to around 0.2m with a 50mm is always handy!
Thanks Dan. I'm not sure what model Tokina 28-70/3.5-4.5 I have - it only says "AF", and has a similar close-up mode at 70mm. Looking forward to seeing what yours can do.

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
Oh, such beautiful greens, Paul. No wonder that is my favourite colour.
Thanks Ray - I imagine those greens were enhanced by the sunset light

American Germander, which grows wild all around here. I didn't notice the katydid nymph at first! Tokina 28-70 again:

07-01-2017, 08:54 AM - 2 Likes   #2963
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Daily 1PM Gun Salute at Edinburgh Castle

Perfectly timed shot at the daily 1:00PM gun salute fired from Edinburgh Castle. Notice the dummy round in the upper right corner. Taken with my K10D in 2013.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
07-01-2017, 11:42 AM - 1 Like   #2964
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Speaking of forgetting to reset the ISO to a more appropriate setting. I was heading to Saskatoon, SK with an oversize load. The day before I had raised it to 1600 for some reason, and then neglected to set it back to 100. I had stopped to fix a sandwich and get rid of rented coffee out on the Alberta prairie about half way between Medicine Hat and Saskatoon, and though it would be fun to grab a few shots of my truck out in the middle of nowhere.

The result wasn't too bad actually.

07-01-2017, 12:28 PM - 1 Like   #2965
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hanimex preset f3.5 180mm Tele-lens
K10D, iso 100
Some exposure adjustment in Shotwell
07-01-2017, 01:01 PM   #2966
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote

Hanimex preset f3.5 180mm Tele-lens
K10D, iso 100
Some exposure adjustment in Shotwell
Another Hanimex.

Nice.
07-01-2017, 01:16 PM   #2967
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Another Hanimex.

Nice.
When I've been bargain hunting for K-mount lenses, and look up Hanimex offerings that might be available, the reviews tend to be unimpressive to discouraging. But I gather that back in the mid-1960s some of their lenses were better contenders compared to products from similar lens sellers like Vivitar & Soligor. So far this one is looking like a lens with character. If not super sharp, it may be sharp enough for making some interesting pictures. Including nice bokeh, as with first pic I posted from it in the Bokeh thread.
07-01-2017, 01:36 PM   #2968
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

If not super sharp, it may be sharp enough for making some interesting pictures.
Yes, it does look a bit soft. What f stop did you use? Perhaps closing it down a little more might sharpen things up some.
07-01-2017, 02:52 PM   #2969
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Yes, it does look a bit soft. What f stop did you use? Perhaps closing it down a little more might sharpen things up some.
I forgot to say I was shooting it wide open, also it was very shady there and there could be some camera shake blurring, as I was handholding 180mm at 1/40th of a second. I did some tests at smaller aperture (shooting clouds to also test infinity focus), but by f/8 the spots that don't blow off of my sensor start showing their ugly selves. One of those sticky gel sensor cleaning wands is on order. Anyway with the clouds, 5.6 didn't seem sharper than 3.5, which looked pretty good, though not tack sharp.
07-01-2017, 06:37 PM   #2970
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I forgot to say I was shooting it wide open, also it was very shady there and there could be some camera shake blurring, as I was handholding 180mm at 1/40th of a second. I did some tests at smaller aperture (shooting clouds to also test infinity focus), but by f/8 the spots that don't blow off of my sensor start showing their ugly selves. One of those sticky gel sensor cleaning wands is on order. Anyway with the clouds, 5.6 didn't seem sharper than 3.5, which looked pretty good, though not tack sharp.
Tripod.

I found one very beneficial with the Hanimex 135 I have, although I have also made some images hand held. Anymore I make use of the tripod for photos that I never used to use one for.