Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12503 Likes Search this Thread
07-14-2017, 11:26 PM   #3016

I don't need this thread -
My K10D has been overshadowed and has been retired .
However , I have revisited my files and and seen the photographs here and am not sure if I can part with it .
The dilemma is that if I do sell it on @ £120 , someone else will enjoy the magic of a CCD sensor , if not , it's likely to be put back in the cupboard as it's a bit too heavy/large for me .
I now have a K-S1 which is more compact and lighter .
OK , it's more modern but those CCD files have something ...
I could also buy more manual Pentax Lenses ...
old newbie , dee

07-15-2017, 02:03 AM - 2 Likes   #3017
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by deeslexia Quote
I now have a K-S1 which is more compact and lighter .OK , it's more modern but those CCD files have something ...

I went through a similar dilemma last year: I'd bought the K-S1, which is an excellent camera in its own quirky way, and so I set about trying to convince myself that my K10D clone GX-10 was obsolete. As you can see, I'm still here in the K10D Club, so I think you can guess how that all ended up. . .

Nowadays I tend to use the K-S1 only as a high ISO special, which is something that it's very good at. Last week I photographed a late night event in very low light for a charity that I volunteer for, and the K-S1 produced results with the available light that would have been simply impossible with the older CCD sensor. The K-S1 is also so small and light that I can mount my tiny little Takumar 28mm and carry that combination around all day using just a wrist strap, which is what I'll be doing later this month when my sister and her family visit from New York.

But if I'm heading out onto Dartmoor, and it looks like ISO100 conditions, and I want to get photographs that truly capture the landscape the way I see it, then I'll take the GX-10 every time.

I'd urge you to hang on to your K10D, even if it's only for a few times a year when the bigger, heavier old camera is worth it because you want that magic that only the CCD can deliver.
07-15-2017, 02:26 AM   #3018
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deeslexia Quote
The dilemma is that if I do sell it on @ £120 , someone else will enjoy the magic of a CCD sensor , if not , it's likely to be put back in the cupboard as it's a bit too heavy/large for me .
I think £120 is a bit steep - I'll give you £50 for it, and whenever you're in Norwich you will be welcome to borrow it.
07-15-2017, 03:05 PM   #3019
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
But if I'm heading out onto Dartmoor, and it looks like ISO100 conditions, and I want to get photographs that truly capture the landscape the way I see it, then I'll take the GX-10 every time.

I'd urge you to hang on to your K10D, even if it's only for a few times a year when the bigger, heavier old camera is worth it because you want that magic that only the CCD can deliver.
That is very sage advice from Dave. Don't get rid of a working K10D.

07-15-2017, 03:41 PM - 1 Like   #3020
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not certain why I did this, but a couple of months ago we went over to Orlando and stopped in at the wax museum. In the dimly lit building I used my K10 D with the DA 35 instead of my K5. Here's an ISO 800 example.

07-16-2017, 01:37 AM - 2 Likes   #3021
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Model boat sail day at our village today 16 July 2017. K10D and Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 LD MACRO. Images are SOOC as too many shots to process individually. Exported from Lightroom.

07-16-2017, 08:33 AM - 1 Like   #3022
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice work, Ray and twilhelm

From early June with the K10D & DA18-55 kit lens:

07-16-2017, 12:01 PM - 2 Likes   #3023

Fantastic to see this thread hit 200 pages. I only bought a K10D a few months ago but reading every page on this thread has given me loads of inspiration, tips and help. And continues to do so! Also great to see some regulars here that have been here from very early on in the thread, and maybe right from the outset (paulh? rayallen? Dartmoor Dave?)

Went out with the K10D again today for the first time in a few weeks (the humble 6MP CCD yet equally fantastic Samsung GX-1S has had my attention mostly lately) and it was good to be back with it. Mostly used a Super-Takumar 28/3.5 which is just such a lovely lens to handle and use. I'm still struggling a bit to compose with it, as I rarely shoot wider than 50/55mm and that's with APS-C. Starting to get me head around the 28mm though, and it certainly excites me enough to want to use it again soon.

07-16-2017, 02:15 PM   #3024
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan James Quote
Fantastic to see this thread hit 200 pages. I only bought a K10D a few months ago but reading every page on this thread has given me loads of inspiration, tips and help. And continues to do so! Also great to see some regulars here that have been here from very early on in the thread, and maybe right from the outset (paulh? rayallen? Dartmoor Dave?)

Went out with the K10D again today for the first time in a few weeks (the humble 6MP CCD yet equally fantastic Samsung GX-1S has had my attention mostly lately) and it was good to be back with it. Mostly used a Super-Takumar 28/3.5 which is just such a lovely lens to handle and use. I'm still struggling a bit to compose with it, as I rarely shoot wider than 50/55mm and that's with APS-C. Starting to get me head around the 28mm though, and it certainly excites me enough to want to use it again soon.

You have some nice composition here. The 28 fl is great on an Apsc sensor, especially the K10D. But it does take some getting use to.
07-16-2017, 10:20 PM   #3025

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
You have some nice composition here. The 28 fl is great on an Apsc sensor, especially the K10D. But it does take some getting use to.
Thanks. Yes, the min focus of the Tak 28/3.5 is just under 0.4m I think, which sounds close but with a 28mm lens you're so much further back in the first place compared with a 50mm. So 0.4m actually doesn't get you that close at all and for me it's a challenge to find other ways to fill the frame how I want to.
07-17-2017, 01:12 AM   #3026
Pentaxian

28mm is the lens to go for when you want the most naturalistic sense of perspective, because it's the true normal on APS-C -- in other words, the focal length of the lens is equivalent to the diagonal of the sensor.

Studies of the behaviour of people in museums and galleries have shown that viewers will instinctively tend to look at a painting or photograph from about the same distance as the diagonal of the image. So, if a painting has a diagonal of say three feet, then most people will stand about three feet away to look at it. The great masters understood this, and took it into account to achieve their perspective effects.

In photographic terms, a focal length equivalent to the diagonal of the sensor translates into a completely naturalistic perspective when viewed from the same distance as the diagonal of the final print. If you were to take a 12"x18" print taken with a 28mm lens (print diagonal of 21.63") out to the spot where the photo was taken, and look at the print from 21.63" away, then the perspective of the print would fit perfectly into the original scene.

Of course we can achieve all kinds of interesting effects using longer or shorter focal lengths, but it's always worth remembering about the true normal when complete naturalism is your goal.
07-17-2017, 06:56 AM - 1 Like   #3027
Pentaxian

I also have a K-S1 which seems to be the official 2nd camera for K10D users I do like its image quality a lot and it's the perfect "snapshot" DLSR, where you walk around and want to take a picture at a moment's notice (with the DA 35 2.4 which is also a pretty effortless lens that always gets good results even SOOC).

But I also get a bit more satisfaction from the K10D and others might not even see the different way that the CCD sensor renders things (my wife I'm sure doesn't). But it matters to me and to me it's all that matters

One more with the Sigma 30 Art...

07-17-2017, 10:55 AM   #3028
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My K-5 is my "other" camera, and it's an incredible picture-taking machine. But it sees less than half the use of my K10D and my 6 mpx CCD bodies. There's something so pleasing about the way the CCD sensor renders.
A couple random K10D shots.

a tangled leash - F35-70

Buttonbush at the lake - DA18-55:
07-17-2017, 11:21 AM - 7 Likes   #3029
Pentaxian

Banff National Park
Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC

07-17-2017, 03:08 PM   #3030
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Patriot Quote
Banff National Park
Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC
What a sensational shot. TFS. K10D at its best.