Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
K10D sensor + SMC coatings = COLOR
Ah...those reds!

08-26-2017, 10:19 AM - 2 Likes   #3092
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Same lens, but this one needed a little PP. It was part of my first series of test shots, curtailed because it was starting to spit a few raindrops, a couple of which are on this flower. The flower just earlier was taken later in the day when the sun was out again.

Forgot I already posted the original version, without any PP, in the F lens club thread. It has rich color, but is a bit flat. Still it was promising for an early test shot with the lens.)

Last edited by goatsNdonkey; 08-26-2017 at 11:14 AM.
08-26-2017, 01:58 PM   #3093

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
Hi Dan, Thanks for your kind words. I did convert some of them to mono in-camera but they lacked the contrast needed for good B&W.
I am still trying to find one software that will produce the results I am after but I have not found it yet.

The image with the umbrellas I processed in PS CS6 and then NIK Silver Efex. I then usually start by clicking on -1 underexposure and adjusting the sliders from there.
The other two images I processed in ACDSee Ultimate 10. It has a feature that Photoshop doesn't. It's called Light EQ and it allows you to adjust up to 9 different bands of light.
I haven't done much experimentation with mono in Lightroom so I guess this is a good opportunity to give it a try. I will advise.

Addendum:
I should have tried converting to B&W in Lightroom before now. I processed the umbrellas image in LR and get the sort of results I am after very quickly. So, I will be using LR in future. Plus I can go to NIK Silver Efex from LR and come back again. Best of both worlds.

Here is an example:

Thanks Ray, the bicycle shot especially has appealing b/w tones - the blacks are deep black. I really don't like it when b/w conversions just end up a series of murky greys.

I might experiment a little in LightRoom, I do actually have a few b/w presets I used to play with, I just remembered, before I got the K10, and indeed most of the lenses I now have.
08-26-2017, 04:02 PM   #3094
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
Same lens, but this one needed a little PP. It was part of my first series of test shots, curtailed because it was starting to spit a few raindrops, a couple of which are on this flower. The flower just earlier was taken later in the day when the sun was out again.

Forgot I already posted the original version, without any PP, in the F lens club thread. It has rich color, but is a bit flat. Still it was promising for an early test shot with the lens.)
I liked the red flower but I like this one even more. The diffused lighting on a rainy day is just right. Love it.

08-26-2017, 04:08 PM   #3095
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I liked the red flower but I like this one even more. The diffused lighting on a rainy day is just right. Love it.
Thanks, Ray!
08-26-2017, 04:15 PM   #3096
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan James Quote
Thanks Ray, the bicycle shot especially has appealing b/w tones - the blacks are deep black. I really don't like it when b/w conversions just end up a series of murky greys.

I might experiment a little in LightRoom, I do actually have a few b/w presets I used to play with, I just remembered, before I got the K10, and indeed most of the lenses I now have.
Dan, I was taught (I did a 3-term evening college course on B&W film processing many years ago) that a good monochrome image should have a pure white and a pure black (or as close as you can get) and a range of greys in between. I have seen too many murky grey images that do nothing for me.

It took very little time to produce that bike image and I continue to be impressed with Lightroom's capabilties. I am tending to use it more and more.
08-27-2017, 08:17 AM - 2 Likes   #3097
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Agree! Nice set of b/w's Ray, very inspiring.

Boathouse Row in June with the DA18-55:

08-27-2017, 01:40 PM - 7 Likes   #3098
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Boathouse Row in June with the DA18-55:

Beautiful, Paul. Just beautiful.

I finally managed to get out for a warm and sunny evening walk today after weeks of rain and gloom.
08-27-2017, 06:34 PM   #3099
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Beautiful, Paul. Just beautiful.
Many thanks Dave. Same goes for your photo above - beautiful soft tones!
08-28-2017, 12:13 AM - 2 Likes   #3100

I bought my Pentax K10D on close out , because it was right for me at the time . Recently , a new K-S1 / kit lens and 35mm f2.4 @ £250 'cos I like the handling - just like my original lightly used Leica Digilux and Panasonic L1 body which I still take out with cheap 4/3rds lenses .

I have the much maligned CCD Sony A290 to use old Minolta lenses . Like the K10D - lovely colours .

Despite warnings about it's failings on auto focus , my latest is a new Fuji X-Pro 1 / 27mm @ £370 which fits in my bag .

I am content with the three systems - they are right for me .

Nikon and Canon ? Maybe I am just contrary , I like that my cameras are not seen everywhere .

dee
08-28-2017, 01:06 AM   #3101
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deeslexia Quote
I bought my Pentax K10D on close out , because it was right for me at the time . Recently , a new K-S1 / kit lens and 35mm f2.4 @ £250 'cos I like the handling - just like my original lightly used Leica Digilux and Panasonic L1 body which I still take out with cheap 4/3rds lenses .

I have the much maligned CCD Sony A290 to use old Minolta lenses . Like the K10D - lovely colours .

Despite warnings about it's failings on auto focus , my latest is a new Fuji X-Pro 1 / 27mm @ £370 which fits in my bag .

I am content with the three systems - they are right for me .

Nikon and Canon ? Maybe I am just contrary , I like that my cameras are not seen everywhere .

dee

Now that collection is just my sort of thing! I've also got the GX-10 version of the K10D, plus the K-S1 which I use mostly for high ISO. I've always loved photos that I've seen from the original Leica Digilux, although the one that I'm always on the lookout for is the Digilux 2. I would love to own that camera. And the Fuji X-Pro is about as cool as cameras get.

Welcome to the club!
08-30-2017, 07:08 AM - 2 Likes   #3102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now some sunny day landscapes & architectural shots with the F35-105. f/22 & iso100.

08-30-2017, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #3103
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From April with the F80-200:
08-31-2017, 05:20 AM - 6 Likes   #3104
Pentaxian

As I was walking up the back slope of Feather Tor yesterday I found myself thinking: "Huh, haven't seen a single pony today." Then. . .

08-31-2017, 08:21 AM - 4 Likes   #3105
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pics from the UK in 2013

Here are 4 pictures taken with my K-10D in 2013 during a trip to England, Scotland and Wales. First is a picture in Edinburgh just after sunrise, before the early morning mist has burned off. The next 2 were taken on the road in Scotland, over the Scottish countryside. Finally, a picture inside the walls of Ruthin Castle in Wales.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo