Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12504 Likes Search this Thread
09-05-2017, 08:29 AM - 2 Likes   #3121
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
I see you have not one, but three Discwashers in use! I still have mine, from the mid-70s, along with a BIC 940 turntable and Shure (can't remember which model) cartridge. Unfortunately, I have no equipment to connect it to, so its sits in the closet waiting. At one time I had an Advent receiver with the full size Advent speakers, Pioneer EQ and Technics cassette deck. I'm still dragging my boxes of vinyl around - about 300 albums of 70's & 80s rock, blues & jazz. One of these days....

Back on topic, and old one from autumn 2014 with a Sigma 17-70:
Paul, it sounds like a good used amp & some speakers or headphones would have you up and running. Some audio treasures can be found on craigslist sometimes.

I have a couple of old Shure cardtridges, including a 1958 M3D, just about the first magnetic stereo cartridge, but the Stanton/Pickering stable is deeper. The cart/needle I'm using in the picture seems to play poorer condition records with less noise, though it's not the one I'd use on a pristine condition classical recording to get the most out of it.

I think being interested in "bygone" as well as current audio formats has a lot in common with being interested in current & "bygone" photography formats.

09-05-2017, 12:50 PM - 3 Likes   #3122
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by woodenbits Quote
Yes, that amp will do just that. Contact me in private if you want to chat more about it, do not want to clutter this K10D corner with other (irrelevant) hobbies of mine

Also, very happy to see another person that appreciates early classical vinyl, I am afraid there are not that many of us now. I have probably about 7 linear feet of classical vinyl records, and that is what I mostly listen to those days (usually digitizing it to temporary copies in dsd128 format as I listen, so that I can play them multiple times without extra wear and tear, but digital copies do not sound quite as good despite all my efforts).

Ooops, I am cluttering this place already. Mea culpa.

A little bit back on topic. Tokina version of that Vivitar 70-210mm lens (2nd version) produced softer and gentler images for me. I am sure that in hands of real master of understated pictures (I am looking at you, Dartmoor Dave) it would be great lens, but I just do not have the touch for it. Here is an example, that I think displays both strengths and weaknesses of that lens.

Non-K10D example of same lens: https://flic.kr/p/Xbr7DV

ChristianRock, if you happened to have a picture made with Pentax-A 70-210mm, I would love to see it.
I have a few in my flickr account... most are with the K20D because I owned that camera the longest, but there's a few K10D pictures as well. Here's a couple.

It's sharp, has really nice colors and I think one thing that sets it apart from other zooms in the range is the bokeh.
09-05-2017, 06:04 PM - 5 Likes   #3123

Back on topic, and old one from autumn 2014 with a Sigma 17-70:
Amazing colors, Paul! Absolutely love how they shift one into another.
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I have a few in my flickr account... most are with the K20D because I owned that camera the longest, but there's a few K10D pictures as well. Here's a couple.

Wow. Thank you! That photo with the bee, when pulled full screen, is stunning. Being able to see pollen that is stuck on the belly of that bee... is surreal. That is a superb lens, indeed. I like overall character of my Komine very much, but it is overall not nearly as sharp, and purple fringing is noticeable at times as well (although I have seen worse), knocking down sharpness a bit as well. Or maybe it is all just a user error

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
ELAC Miracord 50H Turntable, with Stanton E680.V3 Cartridge, playing album shown, certainly a thrift (charity) shop find.
Unseen system components: Mid-1970s vintage Kenwood 5150 solid state receiver, with Kenwood K777-A speakers.

Nice! I used to have Kenwood KA-6000 amp, and in addition to being good overall amp, it had best phono stage from any vintage amp I have tried. And that Miracord turntable... it is surprising how good of a parallel one can draw with K10D. Just thing about it. That turntable has idler drive, that is considered to be obsolete technology for many decades, and it was superseded long time ago by belt and direct drive, but still has many proponents to this day that are convinced that idler drive is best for rhythm and PRAT. I have 'Braun' version of same turntable, designed by famous Dieter Rams, but mine unfortunately not only cost me quite a bit, but came to me with only half its internals. It has pretty ringy platter and benefits from platter & top plate dampening (at a cost of reduced 'liveliness' of sound), but it does sound surprisingly good, and put Technics SL-1500 to shame.

Well, to keep subject on that camera we love... yesterday evening I went to the park, and was pretty frustrated by the fact that setting sun was hidden from me by large hills making for dreary lighting, but accidentally brought home quite interesting picture. It is definitely not SOOC, but required only about a minute or 2 of post-processing. Of course, same Vivitar/Komine 70-210mm f2.8-4 lens.
Behold... the weeds!

Last edited by woodenbits; 09-05-2017 at 07:00 PM.
09-05-2017, 09:26 PM   #3124
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K10D w/ m50 f1.7
Sunset from Joseph Whidbey State Park Whidbey Island Washington Labor Day

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
09-06-2017, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #3125
Pentaxian

Wow. Thank you! That photo with the bee, when pulled full screen, is stunning. Being able to see pollen that is stuck on the belly of that bee... is surreal. That is a superb lens, indeed. I like overall character of my Komine very much, but it is overall not nearly as sharp, and purple fringing is noticeable at times as well (although I have seen worse), knocking down sharpness a bit as well. Or maybe it is all just a user error
From what I've seen and from the feedback I've seen here in the forums, the Komine-made Vivitar 70-210 f/2.8-4 should be just as sharp as the Pentax constant f4. I've seen people here who have had both say the Vivitar/Komine is sharper. The Pentax might have a tad more contrast, especially wide open. But to me, as I said before, what I really love about the Pentax is the bokeh. It's as good as it gets, I think. It just perfectly isolates the subject and is creamy and unobtrusive.

I might have an above-par copy of it... I got it with the SMC-A 135mm f/2.8 lens and after a while, always using the 70-210mm more, I compared the two and the zoom was sharper than the prime at all apertures... and the 135 prime had some bad aberrations wide open (I think I had a below-par copy). So I sold the 135mm. Eventually I bought a Takumar Bayonet 135 2.8 for only 32 dollars, that I like better than I liked the SMC-A that I had, but the 70-210 still gets more use. I do like having the much smaller/lighter 135 prime though, in case I want to carry that in my bag. But for IQ the 70-210 is my go-to lens.

Here's a couple more, on the K10D of course.

And here's my album on it, it has a lot of K20D pictures with it: SMC Pentax-A 70-210mm f4 Macro | Flickr
09-06-2017, 10:31 AM - 3 Likes   #3126
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some great shots, guys

Another older one with the Sigma 17-70, taken around Christmas if you can believe it:
09-06-2017, 02:03 PM - 5 Likes   #3127
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Paul has shown us the Texas weather at Christmas, so here's the Dartmoor weather in September - on top of Great Staple Tor yesterday. With the 18-55mmWR, which turns out to be a lot more weather resistant than my new boots that are still sat next to the dehumidifier a day later and nowhere near dry (xposted).

09-06-2017, 02:42 PM   #3128
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Paul has shown us the Texas weather at Christmas, so here's the Dartmoor weather in September - on top of Great Staple Tor yesterday. With the 18-55mmWR, which turns out to be a lot more weather resistant than my new boots that are still sat next to the dehumidifier a day later and nowhere near dry (xposted).

Apologies to all the other members whose posts I haven't commented on recently (I've tried to add likes where possible)... However, I just came across this one, and - Dave, what a beautiful shot. This speaks to me in so many ways. Something to hang on the wall, for sure. My kind of photo!
09-06-2017, 03:21 PM - 3 Likes   #3129
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The pelicans are taking over at Patonga Beach. K10D and Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.0 DC Macro HSM.

09-06-2017, 07:32 PM - 2 Likes   #3130
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice! I used to have Kenwood KA-6000 amp, and in addition to being good overall amp, it had best phono stage from any vintage amp I have tried. And that Miracord turntable... it is surprising how good of a parallel one can draw with K10D. Just thing about it. That turntable has idler drive, that is considered to be obsolete technology for many decades, and it was superseded long time ago by belt and direct drive, but still has many proponents to this day that are convinced that idler drive is best for rhythm and PRAT. I have 'Braun' version of same turntable, designed by famous Dieter Rams, but mine unfortunately not only cost me quite a bit, but came to me with only half its internals. It has pretty ringy platter and benefits from platter & top plate dampening (at a cost of reduced 'liveliness' of sound), but it does sound surprisingly good, and put Technics SL-1500 to shame.
Yes, some of those earlier Kenwoods have a good reputation, some say they have a sound more like tube amps thanmost other solid state units. I was a fan of Dual idler drives before I ever heard of the Miracords, and then I read a poll of Dual turntable fans about what other brands of idler drives they also liked. ELAC Miracords were mentioned a bit more than any other kind. About a year and a half later I found this one.

- - - - - -

Now a few more examples taken with the Tamron Adaptall-2 13A SP f3.5-3.8 24-48mm:

The bank is the Lewiston, Illinois, branch of a bank headquartered in Havana, Illinois, about 15 miles to the south, not in Havana, Cuba.

The intensely contrasty sunlight was rather nasty to the driest nasturtium leaves, but surprisingly didn't wash out the colors of the blossoms.

Despite a bit of bird poop, the courthouse lawn Gatling gun looks ready to defend against invaders. Actually it appears to be a 5-barrel Hotchkiss rotary cannon, variations of which were used between the 1870s and WWII. Since it is mounted on a post, rather than a caisson, it might be a naval gun.
09-07-2017, 09:16 AM - 2 Likes   #3131
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Apologies to all the other members whose posts I haven't commented on recently (I've tried to add likes where possible)... However, I just came across this one, and - Dave, what a beautiful shot. This speaks to me in so many ways. Something to hang on the wall, for sure. My kind of photo!

Thanks Mike! The 18-55mmWR is a great exercise machine. . . it makes you want to go for a walk even when the weather is awful.
09-09-2017, 02:40 AM - 5 Likes   #3132
Pentaxian

The Storm is Coming
Bryce Canyon, Utah

09-09-2017, 09:06 AM - 4 Likes   #3133
Pentaxian

Harley Davidson - Style of Live

09-09-2017, 09:17 AM   #3134
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
so here's the Dartmoor weather in September - on top of Great Staple Tor yesterday
Some nice shooting everyone. Dave, this is great - but the first thing I thought of was the Stonehenge scene in "Spinal Tap"
09-09-2017, 10:09 AM - 2 Likes   #3135
Pentaxian

Some nice shooting everyone. Dave, this is great - but the first thing I thought of was the Stonehenge scene in "Spinal Tap"

You see, most blokes will be using a K10D. You're on 10: all the way up, all the way up. Where can you go from there? Nowhere. What I do is, if I need that extra little push off a cliff. . . K11D!

Actually it's even more Spinal Tap than that, because those rock stacks are really 30 feet high, but they only look about a foot high in the photo. I needed somebody in the foreground for scale, but in that weather there wasn't anyone. Should have taken one of my inflatable ponies with me.