Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2017, 10:17 AM - 1 Like   #3136
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
You see, most blokes will be using a K10D. You're on 10: all the way up, all the way up. Where can you go from there? Nowhere. What I do is, if I need that extra little push off a cliff. . . K11D!

Actually it's even more Spinal Tap than that, because those rock stacks are really 30 feet high, but they only look about a foot high in the photo. I needed somebody in the foreground for scale, but in that weather there wasn't anyone. Should have taken one of my inflatable ponies with me.
/while wiping coffee spray from monitor...

09-09-2017, 05:38 PM - 1 Like   #3137
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's been so long since we've had any clouds I almost forgot how to take a picture of them. K10D and DA* 16-50 f/2.8. Xpst.
09-10-2017, 04:03 PM - 9 Likes   #3138
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Classic Western View

Last edited by Patriot; 09-10-2017 at 10:22 PM.
09-11-2017, 05:46 AM - 1 Like   #3139
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Patriot Quote
Classic Western View
As always a fantastic picture, Mike!

09-11-2017, 06:39 AM   #3140
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
As always a fantastic picture, Mike!
Thank you very much for pleasant comments!
09-11-2017, 12:50 PM - 7 Likes   #3141
Pentaxian

Spectacular sunset at Hoback Peak, Wyoming

09-12-2017, 04:58 AM - 3 Likes   #3142
Pentaxian

Playing around with water drops on the 18-55mm WR again. Maybe I should start carrying a little spray bottle around with me. (Seems to have ended up with some banding after reduction to web size.)

09-12-2017, 01:48 PM - 4 Likes   #3143
Pentaxian

A couple of offerings from the K10D and M 50 1.4. The first one is a black and white @f4 with the 2-second delay because of the slow blades that the lens has. So, no SR, but in daylight that's fine.

Now some wide open shots.

09-12-2017, 02:47 PM   #3144
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Playing around with water drops on the 18-55mm WR again. Maybe I should start carrying a little spray bottle around with me. (Seems to have ended up with some banding after reduction to web size.)

A waterfall, a stone cross and a pony all in one shot! What more could one ask for? Oh, maybe a few water drops. Yes, we have them too. Excellent work, Dave.
09-15-2017, 12:05 PM   #3145
Pentaxian

So, my K10D of just under 9600 clicks might be dying. I posted a separate thread about this to see if people who don't have a K10D anymore went through the same thing - the AE-L button keeps "clicking itself" and both wheels are starting to freeze up and not work, requiring me to reboot the camera. it might just be a nuisance and it might keep working for a while longer. Or maybe not!

Time to save my pennies for a replacement, perhaps? Not sure if that would be another K10D or a newer camera... :/
09-15-2017, 12:24 PM   #3146
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh no. Maybe try another battery, or do a factory reset? Good luck
09-15-2017, 02:02 PM   #3147
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Time to save my pennies for a replacement, perhaps? Not sure if that would be another K10D or a newer camera... :/
Sorry to hear that

Honestly, since buying my GX-10 (well, both of them!!), it's my favourite camera. For stills photography in decent natural or ambient lighting, I really couldn't ask for more. That said, there's no denying that the newer models offer more flexibility and performance in a much wider range of situations. I really wouldn't want to be without my K-3 as an all-round camera - but, when conditions allow, I frequently shoot the GX-10 "just because"

In your situation, I'd probably go for a newer camera and use post-processing to get the colours how you want them, then - in time, if funds allow - add another K10D, as I think you'd miss it...
09-15-2017, 02:33 PM - 1 Like   #3148
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Oh no. Maybe try another battery, or do a factory reset? Good luck
I just tried another (fully charged) battery, in this case the Pentax one that still holds charge like it was new (I'm sure it's original, too!). But the results were the same.

It looks like the AE-L button is "overly sensitive". Have you guys ever seen that? I've heard of buttons that stop working, but if I just touch the AE-L, without pressing it at all, it activates. I wonder if it's fixable.

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Sorry to hear that

Honestly, since buying my GX-10 (well, both of them!!), it's my favourite camera. For stills photography in decent natural or ambient lighting, I really couldn't ask for more. That said, there's no denying that the newer models offer more flexibility and performance in a much wider range of situations. I really wouldn't want to be without my K-3 as an all-round camera - but, when conditions allow, I frequently shoot the GX-10 "just because"

In your situation, I'd probably go for a newer camera and use post-processing to get the colours how you want them, then - in time, if funds allow - add another K10D, as I think you'd miss it...
We do have a newer camera, the K-S1. It gets used for family stuff and stays at home because it's supposed to be my wife's (but I take better pictures so I usually am the one who uses it )

The K10D is the camera that I use for purposeful shooting, when I want to create artsy things. The K-S1 is for snaps and people pictures.

I have fast primes for low light stuff so honestly, either camera can be used when it gets dark...
09-15-2017, 03:02 PM   #3149
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

The K10D is the camera that I use for purposeful shooting, when I want to create artsy things. The K-S1 is for snaps and people pictures.

I have fast primes for low light stuff so honestly, either camera can be used when it gets dark...
That's great

I have a number of fast(-ish) primes too... The only point I'd make there is - and, as I'm sure you know - we don't always want to shoot at a fast aperture in lower light. Often, we might need, say, f/5.6 or f/8 creatively for the required depth-of-field. If that results in ISO 1600, 3200 or even 6400 with my K-3, no matter... post-processing will easily reduce the noise to manageable levels without taking away too much detail (I have some great shots from the K-3 at ISO 6400 and even considerably higher ). As a result, I shoot the K-3 more often than not in TAv mode, so I have creative control over the shutter speed and aperture, and let the camera pick the ISO sensitivity. The K10D / GX-10 - much as I love it (prefer it, even, much of the time) - is far more limited in that respect. In lower light, I have to select the fastest or faster apertures to keep the ISO down, which doesn't give me the control I want over depth-of-field.

I'm not trying to put you off another K10D... I really do prefer to shoot with my GX-10 when the situation allows, but - fast lens or not - it can be more limited than some of the later cameras, depending on use-case.

I'll say no more, for fear of an angry mob - this is, after all, the K10D Club thread

Last edited by BigMackCam; 09-15-2017 at 11:30 PM.
09-15-2017, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #3150
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
That's great I have a number of fast(-ish) primes too... The only point I'd make there is - and, as I'm sure you know - we don't always want to shoot at a fast aperture in lower light. Often, we might need, say, f/5.6 or f/8 creatively (regardless of the camera you're using) for the required depth-of-field. If that results in ISO 1600, 3200 or even 6400 with my K-3, no matter... post-processing will easily reduce the noise to manageable levels without taking away too much detail (I have some great shots from the K-3 at ISO 6400 and even considerably higher ). As a result, I shoot the K-3 more often than not in TAv mode, so I have creative control over the shutter speed and aperture, and let the camera pick the ISO sensitivity. The K10D / GX-10 - much as I love it (prefer it, even, much of the time) - is far more limited in that respect. In lower light, I have to select the fastest or faster apertures to keep the ISO down, which doesn't give me the control I want over depth-of-field.

I'm not trying to put you off another K10D... I really do prefer to shoot with my GX-10 when the situation allows, but - fast lens or not - it can be more limited than some of the later cameras, depending on use-case.
I also have this thingie called a flash... actually 3 of them!

Seriously though... Even with the K-S1, I'm hardly ever indoors without a flash on the camera, unless I don't really care if I get a good picture or not.

But the K10D is more like my "artistic" camera. I'm in this to learn and see if one day I can create art, so I have to play with something that inspires me. The CCD does that But for family snaps, the CMOS cameras work very well, I'm not giving up on my K-S1. It's perfect for what I want it to do.