Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12492 Likes Search this Thread
09-15-2017, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #3151
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
But the K10D is more like my "artistic" camera. I'm in this to learn and see if one day I can create art, so I have to play with something that inspires me. The CCD does that But for family snaps, the CMOS cameras work very well, I'm not giving up on my K-S1. It's perfect for what I want it to do.
Have you tried Mike's amazing "CCD-look" PP settings? I believe they are Lightroom-specific, though (if that matters).

09-15-2017, 04:14 PM   #3152
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Have you tried Mike's amazing "CCD-look" PP settings? I believe they are Lightroom-specific, though (if that matters).
Yes, they are Lightroom specific... and don't translate to other programs.
09-15-2017, 11:45 PM   #3153

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Paul do you have a link to more about this? I mostly use my K10D, Samsung GX-10 and Samsung GX-1S which are all CCD of course but I'd be interested in seeing what the settings were for when I occasionally use my Sony NEX. 😀
09-16-2017, 01:23 AM   #3154
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan James Quote
Paul do you have a link to more about this? I mostly use my K10D, Samsung GX-10 and Samsung GX-1S which are all CCD of course but I'd be interested in seeing what the settings were for when I occasionally use my Sony NEX. 😀

Here is a link to Mike's original CCD emulation article: Get "that CCD look" with the K-3 / K-3II and Lightroom - PentaxForums.com

It is possible to convert Mike's Lightroom CCD emulation settings into a standard Adobe Camera Profile to use with Photoshop, which I've done purely for my own personal use and with no intention of infringing any IP rights. If Mike is willing to give permission, I could give details of how to do this for the CMOS camera of your choice. You would need at least a trial version of Lightroom, plus the free Adobe Profile Editor. (Dan, I think you use Lightroom anyway.)

Christian, sorry to hear that your K10D is in a bad way. It's an inevitability with any DSLR that one day the electronics are going to fail, and I think all of us K10D/GX-10 users live in dread of that moment. I take the same approach as you, with the K10D clone as my "creative" camera and the K-S1 for family snapshots.

The good news is that Mike's CCD emulation works very well indeed with the K-S1, so if you have editing software that can use the settings then I can highly recommend them. In principle, it should be possible to convert the Lightroom CCD emulation for any raw converter that uses its own proprietary profiles and is able to pull embedded adjustments out of a raw file. Which raw converter do you use, Christian?

Last edited by Dartmoor Dave; 09-16-2017 at 02:00 AM.
09-16-2017, 01:55 AM   #3155
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
It is possible to convert Mike's Lightroom CCD emulation settings into a standard Adobe Camera Profile to use with Photoshop, which I've done purely for my own personal use and with no intention of infringing any IP rights. If Mike is willing to give permission, I could give details of how to do this for the CMOS camera of your choice. You would need at least a trial version of Lightroom, plus the free Adobe Profile Editor.
My "CCD look" preset is in the public domain, for anyone to use and modify as they see fit. Any conversions to work with other software can only be a good thing, so I'd be delighted and grateful if you'd share your instructions for Photoshop, Dave!

I wonder, does Photoshop Elements have the capability to use camera profiles? I assume it does...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 09-16-2017 at 02:51 AM.
09-16-2017, 02:02 AM - 1 Like   #3156
Pentaxian

Yep, Elements uses the same profiles as full Photoshop. Thanks for the go-ahead to adapt your settings for other software, Mike. I'll post full instructions of how to create a Photoshop profile later.
09-16-2017, 02:42 AM   #3157
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan James Quote
Paul do you have a link to more about this? I mostly use my K10D, Samsung GX-10 and Samsung GX-1S which are all CCD of course but I'd be interested in seeing what the settings were for when I occasionally use my Sony NEX. ��
Dan, please note that the colour profiling of Sony cameras (at least, those that I use - the A7 MkII and Hasselblad HV / Sony A99) is quite different to the K-3 and other Pentax CMOS bodies. You can apply my preset to your NEX images, but it's not likely to give you an accurate colour emulation of the K10D / GX-10 (reds, especially, may have too much of an orange shift)... that said, I've tried it on a few of my A7 MkII images and the effect is pleasing, adding some warmth and punch. I'd recommend you start by selecting the "Camera Standard" profile in Lightroom, then add the preset.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 09-16-2017 at 03:03 AM.
09-16-2017, 03:23 AM   #3158
Pentaxian

A workaround for using the CCD emulation on a non-Pentax camera would be to shoot a raw file of a Macbeth/Colorcheck card under 6500K using your non-Pentax and create a dual illuminant profile using Adobe Profile Editor. This would eliminate the Sony/Fuji/Whatever "house style" and give you a colour-neutral profile to start with. Then you could open the raw file in Lightroom with the neutral profile, and apply the CCD emulation onto that. But now I'm thinking that we should probably take this conversation back over to the original CCD emulation thread, to avoid hijacking the K10D Club.

For now though, I'm off to run a session teaching charity shop volunteers how to do basic product photography for listing online. And I'm really NOT the world's most patient teacher. . .
09-16-2017, 03:35 AM   #3159
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm thinking that we should probably take this conversation back over to the original CCD emulation thread, to avoid hijacking the K10D Club.
Agreed, Dave!
09-17-2017, 12:31 AM - 1 Like   #3160
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Late summer afternoon at the creek. Not the best time of day, but I took my chances - DA18-55:

Last edited by paulh; 09-17-2017 at 01:03 AM.
09-17-2017, 03:16 PM - 4 Likes   #3161
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This shot looked rather blahhh to me, but it became more interesting with a good bit of cropping.

Lentar f6.3 400mm preset t-mount lens, at f8.
K10D, at iso 400.
Shot from about 30 feet away, the Lentar's minimum focusing distance!
09-18-2017, 09:28 AM - 5 Likes   #3162
Pentaxian

I guess as long as my K10D keeps working I'll keep shooting with it

09-18-2017, 02:53 PM   #3163
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I guess as long as my K10D keeps working I'll keep shooting with it

And so will I...if I can take shots like those.
09-22-2017, 07:39 AM - 2 Likes   #3164
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Konica Hexanon f3.5 135mm * + K10D

* NOTE that the Konica AR mount is not compatible with the K-mount. I managed to get the lens to twist on only about 1/8th of an inch past the point where it would just fall off of the front of the camera. Since the Konica AR mount system has approx a 5mm shorter film-to-flange registration distance, this is like using the lens with a 5mm extension tube. Also, since I have no manual aperture control, this shot is with wide open aperture.
09-22-2017, 11:33 AM   #3165

Here is a link to Mike's original CCD emulation article: Get "that CCD look" with the K-3 / K-3II and Lightroom - PentaxForums.com

It is possible to convert Mike's Lightroom CCD emulation settings into a standard Adobe Camera Profile to use with Photoshop, which I've done purely for my own personal use and with no intention of infringing any IP rights. If Mike is willing to give permission, I could give details of how to do this for the CMOS camera of your choice. You would need at least a trial version of Lightroom, plus the free Adobe Profile Editor. (Dan, I think you use Lightroom anyway.)
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
My "CCD look" preset is in the public domain, for anyone to use and modify as they see fit. Any conversions to work with other software can only be a good thing, so I'd be delighted and grateful if you'd share your instructions for Photoshop, Dave!
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Dan, please note that the colour profiling of Sony cameras (at least, those that I use - the A7 MkII and Hasselblad HV / Sony A99) is quite different to the K-3 and other Pentax CMOS bodies. You can apply my preset to your NEX images, but it's not likely to give you an accurate colour emulation of the K10D / GX-10 (reds, especially, may have too much of an orange shift)... that said, I've tried it on a few of my A7 MkII images and the effect is pleasing, adding some warmth and punch. I'd recommend you start by selecting the "Camera Standard" profile in Lightroom, then add the preset.
A workaround for using the CCD emulation on a non-Pentax camera would be to shoot a raw file of a Macbeth/Colorcheck card under 6500K using your non-Pentax and create a dual illuminant profile using Adobe Profile Editor. This would eliminate the Sony/Fuji/Whatever "house style" and give you a colour-neutral profile to start with. Then you could open the raw file in Lightroom with the neutral profile, and apply the CCD emulation onto that. But now I'm thinking that we should probably take this conversation back over to the original CCD emulation thread, to avoid hijacking the K10D Club.
Thanks all for your comments and tips. It suddenly sounds a bit technical (to me, someone who does the bare minimum PP!) and reminds me why I love the K10D so - the photographs virtually straight out of camera give me a look I find very pleasing.

Think I'll be sticking with the K10D, it's clone the Samsung GX-10, and their baby sibling the 6MP Samsung GX-1s...