Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12492 Likes Search this Thread
11-19-2017, 01:51 PM   #3301
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Mom's hibiscus - DA18-55 on K10D:
Another superb "kit lens" shot. Flower and stamen really stand out.

11-19-2017, 03:49 PM   #3302
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
Another superb "kit lens" shot. Flower and stamen really stand out.
Thanks Ray. I guess I've got a good copy, although it'd be interesting to compare it to a different/newer copy...
11-19-2017, 05:09 PM - 3 Likes   #3303
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Here is one shot today,on Long Island using a Vivtar 28mm 2.5
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
11-20-2017, 03:09 AM - 2 Likes   #3304
Pentaxian

I guess I've got a good copy, although it'd be interesting to compare it to a different/newer copy...

Well. . . maybe a good copy. . . although I'm not sure I really believe in good and bad copies. There's also the possibility that you get such good results with that first generation 18-55mm because you've got the skill to bring out the very best it can do, and the talent to find compositions and light that suit it perfectly.

11-20-2017, 07:07 AM - 2 Likes   #3305
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Well. . . maybe a good copy. . . although I'm not sure I really believe in good and bad copies. There's also the possibility that you get such good results with that first generation 18-55mm because you've got the skill to bring out the very best it can do, and the talent to find compositions and light that suit it perfectly.
I'm with you Dave. There is something to the ability to shoot a lens in ways that either play to its strengths or that, alternately, capitalize on the character of it's deficiencies, when shooting it without mindfulness of its strengths and limitations would merely lead to crappy results. Our friend, Paul, has both the ability and the mindfulness, as his posted pictures regularly remind us.
11-20-2017, 08:50 AM - 4 Likes   #3306
Pentaxian

Every year I take a picture of our office building entrance road... this year I thought I'd use the M 28 3.5 and the DA 35 2.4.

M 28 3.5

DA 35 2.4

Bonus fall leaves... also DA 35 2.4.

All pictures taken at ISO 100 and f/8.

Comments: straight out of camera, the DA 35 2.4 had the better pictures - punchier colors, more contrast. But after doing my PP on both, it seems like the M 28 3.5 had a bit more microcontrast to draw from, which makes the picture seem a bit sharper. I think they are both equally sharp, but the M 28 contrast gives it a "sharper look" if that makes sense.

Also, the M 28 3.5 didn't have a hood and the DA 35 2.4 did. Still, the M lens seemed to handle the strong sunlight on the left better, but my DA 35 2.4 has a small scratch on the front element and that might be causing issues...

Still. I love both lenses They both have their own character.
11-20-2017, 09:52 AM   #3307
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the comments, Dave and Goats - but you guys give me far too much credit!

Beautiful images CR. Are these the OOC or PP'd photos? Both very nice, but I slightly prefer the contrast/tones of the first one with the M28. (but then I've always been a fan of that lens)

11-20-2017, 10:47 AM   #3308
Pentaxian

Thanks for the comments, Dave and Goats - but you guys give me far too much credit!

Beautiful images CR. Are these the OOC or PP'd photos? Both very nice, but I slightly prefer the contrast/tones of the first one with the M28. (but then I've always been a fan of that lens)
They're both PP'd. Fall colors really confuse the auto white balance, for starters. The road always comes up completely blue because the Auto WB sees all that orange/yellow and wants to cool the picture down So the first thing I do is to set the white balance waaaay warmer. Then I used the Fuji Velvia profile from RawTherapee. I wrote about those profiles in the RawTherapee thread, I find myself using them more than the HaldClut film emulations lately. They're not exactly a film emulation - they're an emulation of the Fuji X cameras profile settings - which are basically embelished digital versions of their films. Then I added a little vignetting in the extreme corners only as I usually do, and that was it. Oh and the basic sharpening setting from Rawtherapee, along with exposure adjustment.

But 90% of the job was done when I adjusted the WB to how the scene actually looked, instead of the overcompensation the camera did to the colder side...

I also prefer the M 28 3.5 for contrast and tones, but something about the DA 35 makes it very pleasing to me as well, even though the flaring ruined the left side of the picture as far as what the fall colors should look like. It's still nice though - I think it's probably the FOV that I like the best, it's just perfect.

Edit: oh and one more thing... I just recalibrated both my monitors - my extended monitor especially was quite a bit off of where it should have been. So let's see how my pictures look from now on...

Last edited by ChristianRock; 11-20-2017 at 11:15 AM.
11-21-2017, 02:35 PM - 1 Like   #3309
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bending in the breeze - heavy Santa Ana winds that day. DA18-55 on K10D:
11-22-2017, 03:04 PM - 2 Likes   #3310
Pentaxian

A couple of camellias... with plastic fantastic DA 35 2.4

And the combination of the M 28 3.5 and the K10D is making me go wow right now... I should be spending more time with this lens!

11-22-2017, 03:30 PM   #3311
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
A couple of camellias... with plastic fantastic DA 35 2.4
It's funny, I participated in a recent thread about "clinical" lenses, and one or two people called out the DA35 f/2.4 as one such example. I've always really liked it... It has limitations, sure, but it's capable of producing beautiful images, as these photos admirably show.

All lovely, but #3 is a real peach Nice lead in/out with the road, too...
11-22-2017, 03:54 PM - 1 Like   #3312
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
It's funny, I participated in a recent thread about "clinical" lenses, and one or two people called out the DA35 f/2.4 as one such example. I've always really liked it... It has limitations, sure, but it's capable of producing beautiful images, as these photos admirably show.

All lovely, but #3 is a real peach Nice lead in/out with the road, too...
I like my DA 35 2.4. I think other people might be spoiled by their FA 31 Limiteds...

#3 and #4 are the M 28 3.5, a lens that I got last year for cheap just to get to a free shipping price while buying another lens... and never got to use much until recently. And now I'm being a bit blown away by it... a peach of a lens indeed

And here's some more K10D colors... reds in this case, also brought to you by the plastique fantastique...

11-23-2017, 12:21 PM - 4 Likes   #3313
Pentaxian

I've had an unloved and unwanted old Miranda 70-210mm zoom lying around the place for a while, and it occurred to me to take it apart to see if I could do anything interesting with any of the bits of glass inside. These are test shots using just one lens element only: the front element of the zoom, reversed and stuck on a focusing helical, with an aperture disc made from a washer. I think the centre is actually sharper than when it was part of the whole zoom, but the edges. . . well, you're never going to get sharp corners from one element all on its own.

I also played around with some of the elements from the zoom's middle group, which suggested the possibility of making a really good little ultra-wide out of them, but I can't get the flange length right to work on a DSLR. What's really needed for this sort of lens hacking is a mirrorless, so I think I might have to look around for a cheap K-01.

11-23-2017, 02:00 PM   #3314
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I've had an unloved and unwanted old Miranda 70-210mm zoom lying around the place for a while, and it occurred to me to take it apart to see if I could do anything interesting with any of the bits of glass inside. These are test shots using just one lens element only: the front element of the zoom, reversed and stuck on a focusing helical, with an aperture disc made from a washer. I think the centre is actually sharper than when it was part of the whole zoom, but the edges. . . well, you're never going to get sharp corners from one element all on its own.

I also played around with some of the elements from the zoom's middle group, which suggested the possibility of making a really good little ultra-wide out of them, but I can't get the flange length right to work on a DSLR. What's really needed for this sort of lens hacking is a mirrorless, so I think I might have to look around for a cheap K-01.

I dips me lid to you, Dave. You do things I would never think of doing. But, I have to admit that such experimentaion is how we learn. The first two shots are interesting in that the centre is far better than the edges but that third shot is very good. It is the pick of the bunch.
11-23-2017, 02:34 PM   #3315
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
I dips me lid to you, Dave. You do things I would never think of doing. But, I have to admit that such experimentaion is how we learn. The first two shots are interesting in that the centre is far better than the edges but that third shot is very good. It is the pick of the bunch.
Yep, agreed. Full marks for your experimentation, Dave, and what a great result! I like all three shots, but the third is a beauty. I'm surprised how free from flare and CA these are considering the single element. Most impressive!