Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12504 Likes Search this Thread
01-05-2018, 02:34 AM - 1 Like   #3376
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
As for the one lens idea... I hear of so many people both doing and recommending this, but whenever I do it I seem to come across a scene that I simply can't photograph without a different focal length, often because "zooming with my feet" isn't possible without trespassing, wandering onto a busy road, or falling off a cliff

Thanks Mike. I know what you mean: I'll definitely miss some shots. But right now I really want to try put my photography back into its proper place again. Too often lately I've caught myself thinking: "No point going for a walk today, the light's too boring to get any decent photos." Or I've given up the chance to go out in the winter sunshine when we've had it because I've wanted to wait for the more dramatic light towards sunset.

So I need to shake myself out of that. I've always felt that the point of going for a walk should be to go for a walk. If I see something that I think is worth taking a photo of then great, but if I end up feeling like a walk is wasted if it doesn't produce any photos then I've got a problem.

01-05-2018, 07:32 AM - 8 Likes   #3377
Pentaxian

Another one from yesterday with the 24mm. In this case it wouldn't have mattered even if I'd had any other lenses with me. The effect lasted for about three seconds and then it was gone, so there was no time for swapping lumps of glass around. There wasn't even time to try to move to a better position. It was a case of Sunny 16, deep breath, and shoot one frame from where you are with what you've got on the camera.

01-05-2018, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #3378
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Another one from yesterday with the 24mm. In this case it wouldn't have mattered even if I'd had any other lenses with me. The effect lasted for about three seconds and then it was gone, so there was no time for swapping lumps of glass around. There wasn't even time to try to move to a better position. It was a case of Sunny 16, deep breath, and shoot one frame from where you are with what you've got on the camera.
That's really beautiful, Dave. The moody sky, rainbow(s) and fantastic lighting on the hills come together superbly. Very well spotted and captured
01-05-2018, 09:57 AM   #3379
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I've always felt that the point of going for a walk should be to go for a walk. If I see something that I think is worth taking a photo of then great, but if I end up feeling like a walk is wasted if it doesn't produce any photos then I've got a problem.
Exactly my thinking as well. A past forum member by the name of Rio Rico used to make a case for his "lens of the day" strategy. I picked up on that and stretched it a bit to something like "lens of the week". I think it's good to force yourself to deal with the limitations a single lens/camera. Besides, I don't enjoy lugging a bunch of gear with me on my photowalks. I may cheat a bit sometimes and carry a p&s or phone as a backup. Simple is good. Enjoy the walk, and if you pick up a few decent shots along the way, consider it a bonus. Beautiful photo, Dave.

01-05-2018, 07:13 PM   #3380
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like to stick a lens on a camera and just start seeing the world the way that lens sees. I try to not worry about pictures I might miss because that lens can't capture them, because doing that I'm going to miss something the lens I have can take. Next time I go out, they maybe I'll have a different lens on the camera. Now if I were going on a trip, I would take more than one lens, or at least a zoom, but otherwise I go out with one lens. Sometimes I have a different lens on a different camera that day, but I am hardly ever swapping lenses in the middle of picture taking.
01-06-2018, 03:16 AM   #3381
Pentaxian

Thanks folks. I should have known that other K10D Club members would already be doing the one lens thing and getting great results with it. I've got so used to seeing those threads where somebody has got a 5mm gap in their zoom focal lengths between 45mm and 50mm, and wants to spend $1000 to fill it, that I sometimes forget that not everyone else is like that. My bad.

Paul, Rio Rico was an absolute legend! Back in the days when I was considering the move to from film to digital, and was lurking around here but hadn't joined yet, his posts were a major reason why I settled on Pentax bodies for my old lenses instead of Canon. Such a shame that he had to retire from posting because of poor health.
01-06-2018, 10:18 AM - 2 Likes   #3382
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DAL55-300 (yes, I know - a zoom...but it *was* my only lens that day.

Last edited by paulh; 01-06-2018 at 11:07 AM.
01-06-2018, 03:05 PM   #3383
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
DAL55-300 (yes, I know - a zoom...but it *was* my only lens that day.
Really nice shots, Paul, but particularly that first one. I wouldn't typically think to capture only a reflection as the main subject, but this is beautiful. Cleverly composed, too
01-08-2018, 10:52 AM - 3 Likes   #3384
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Really nice shots, Paul, but particularly that first one. I wouldn't typically think to capture only a reflection as the main subject, but this is beautiful. Cleverly composed, too
Thanks Mike

Taken in December at a nearby park, where I bring the dogs for walks sometimes. There's a creek behind the row of b/g trees, and the bridge is visible at far right. DAL 55-300 again:

From another local park with the F35-80:

Last edited by paulh; 01-08-2018 at 11:08 AM.
01-09-2018, 07:38 AM   #3385
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I especially like the first one, Paul!
01-09-2018, 12:07 PM   #3386
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
I especially like the first one, Paul!
Thanks goats - that park and creek are my go-to locations for dogwalks and/or quick photowalks since it's so close to home
01-10-2018, 09:42 AM   #3387
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K10D question

I purchased it used a year or two ago and just now decided to use it. I popped in a sd card with photos on it from another camera but the K10 says “card not formatted”. Can I not interchange sd cards between two cameras? Thanks
01-10-2018, 09:57 AM   #3388
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by donlass Quote
Can I not interchange sd cards between two cameras? Thanks
It may or may not work, depending on the cameras used. If it were me, I'd copy the old files from the card to your pc (if you want to keep them), then reformat the card in the K10D.
01-10-2018, 06:15 PM   #3389
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
It may or may not work, depending on the cameras used. If it were me, I'd copy the old files from the card to your pc (if you want to keep them), then reformat the card in the K10D.
I agree with Paul, that is the most sensible procedure...unless you have a blank SD card to pop in and format.
01-10-2018, 06:41 PM   #3390
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another thought: if I remember correctly, the K10D was limited in terms of the maximum capacity of the SD card it could read. I think it was different for different firmware versions. The maximum might have been 8GB, but I can’t remember for sure. I could be wrong, but that should be checked.