Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12503 Likes Search this Thread
01-12-2018, 11:43 AM - 9 Likes   #3406
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am not using the K10 much these days as I have a K-1 now, but would like to share an old image taken with the camera and the DA*60-250 that I have given a fresh makeover in PP.

The Angler

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
01-13-2018, 09:33 AM - 2 Likes   #3407
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
The Angler
Very nice!

winter vines...F35-80:

01-13-2018, 10:40 AM - 7 Likes   #3408
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A couple more from my K10D archives. The first is the windmills in Consuegra, Spain and the second is the view down the reverse side of the hill shown in the first picture.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
01-13-2018, 06:05 PM   #3409
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Shot a wedding the other weekend with the K3 and K5, although I always have my K10D with me. Here's a couple from the K10 that day...

01-14-2018, 09:21 AM   #3410
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

More with the F35-80, which was stuck on my K10D for awhile in December:

01-16-2018, 09:25 AM - 2 Likes   #3411
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last edited by paulh; 01-16-2018 at 09:44 AM.
01-16-2018, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #3412
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

^^^ @paulh - lovely shots, both of them. That first one tricked my eyes, initially... I thought it was a strange hanging spidery thing at first. Clever reflection shot

And I love the limited but attractive colour palette in that second one.

Both very restful photos to enjoy

01-16-2018, 02:11 PM   #3413
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
^^^ @paulh - lovely shots, both of them. That first one tricked my eyes, initially... I thought it was a strange hanging spidery thing at first. Clever reflection shot

And I love the limited but attractive colour palette in that second one.

Both very restful photos to enjoy
At first glance, I saw the spider too. Very well spotted and captured, Paul.
01-16-2018, 03:45 PM   #3414
Pentaxian

I thought it was a spider too, so I scrolled past it as fast as I could like I always do with arachnid shots . But I'll forgive you for inducing a moment of arachnophobia, Paul, because of all the excellent non-spidery photos you post .

I dunno. . . we get nudity warnings in the forum, so why on earth don't we get spider warnings too?

Could I ask a favour of everyone? My screen calibration has become completely messed up after a Windows 7 update, and now I can't get an accurate looking calibration with my old Spyder 2 anymore (more spiders!). So now I'm looking back through my photos with my monitor completely uncalibrated, and they look very flat and dull compared with most other people's. Have I actually been using an inaccurate calibration all along without realising it, because of my ancient Spyder?

Could you possibly let me know who uses a calibration device and who doesn't? And which device you're using if you are using one? I've got a strong feeling that I'm going to have to buy some new calibration hardware.
01-16-2018, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #3415
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Could you possibly let me know who uses a calibration device and who doesn't? And which device you're using if you are using one? I've got a strong feeling that I'm going to have to buy some new calibration hardware.
I've been using the X-Rite ColorMunki Display tool on my 17" laptop and external 23" monitor for some time now, Dave. Works very well... not without occasional minor bugs, but excellent nonetheless. The match between my laptop and external screen is very good indeed (if not absolutely perfect). Certainly better than I'd hoped for, at the time I first started using it. It also plays nicely with Linux and the open source calibration tools, so it seems to be a fairly standard bit of hardware
01-16-2018, 04:02 PM   #3416
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I've been using the X-Rite ColorMunki Display tool on my 17" laptop and external 23" monitor for some time now, Dave. Works very well... not without occasional minor bugs, but excellent nonetheless. The match between my laptop and external screen is very good indeed (if not absolutely perfect). Certainly better than I'd hoped for, at the time I first started using it. It also plays nicely with Linux and the open source calibration tools, so it seems to be a fairly standard bit of hardware

Thanks Mike. Given the cost of calibration hardware nowadays it's very helpful to know what other K10D/GX10 shooters are using before I start scraping the bottom of my cash barrel.
01-16-2018, 04:31 PM - 1 Like   #3417
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Mike. Given the cost of calibration hardware nowadays it's very helpful to know what other K10D/GX10 shooters are using before I start scraping the bottom of my cash barrel.
Dave, I haven’t used a calibration device in years. Haven’t felt the need to since replacing my monitor in 2010. That being said, I’m looking to replace my Mac Pro as soon as Apple releases a new one. That will require a new monitor which I will, indeed, calibrate.
01-17-2018, 12:29 AM - 1 Like   #3418
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Mike, Ray & Dave. Winter here is pretty monochromatic, with mostly varying shades of gray and brown. But there were just enough tones to make those dead buttonbush blooms pop a bit. The "spider" was a lucky find while Jeannie (dog) and I strolled along the lakeshore one December day.
Count me among the ranks of the uncalibrated, along with subsea. I'm running a cheap Acer 23" LCD, using the digital out from my old Radeon HD graphics card. I can't really be bothered to mess with it much, as I'm fairly happy with it just the way it is. Ignorance is bliss

Last edited by paulh; 01-17-2018 at 12:43 AM.
01-17-2018, 12:43 AM - 1 Like   #3419
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Dave, I use an ancient Pantone-ColorVision ColorPlus colorimeter that was made for Win 98 and XP. It works for both CRTs and LCDs and after a bit of searching I managed to find a later program for it that works on Windows 10. I consider myself very lucky to have found that program as I was expecting to have to buy a new calibrator. I recalibrate once a month (the program reminds me) but the before and after images are always very similar.
01-17-2018, 06:35 AM - 1 Like   #3420
Pentaxian

Thanks guys, that's very helpful info. I eventually realised that I could copy the calibration file from my Linux (Ubuntu) partition over to Windows, so at least that has got me back to where I was before Windows Update trashed everything. Which gives me time to keep an eye out on the auction site for a more-up-to-date calibration device, while I decide whether or not to dump Windows completely. I'm only still using Windows at all because Photoshop runs more stably on native than it does under wine, particularly when it comes to handling the custom profiles that are crucial for my stuff.