Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2018, 09:15 AM - 2 Likes   #3541
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A visit to the local creek in early February - F35-80 - the ultimate sleeper lens I paid $7 for

03-03-2018, 03:06 PM   #3542
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
A visit to the local creek in early February - F35-80 - the ultimate sleeper lens I paid $7 for

You got your money's worth there, Paul.
03-04-2018, 10:29 AM   #3543
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
You got your money's worth there, Paul.
For sure! A couple years ago my niece got her first DSLR - an *istDL with the F35-80 attached. I borrowed the lens for a few weeks and was surprised how decent it actually is (despite low ratings in the forum reviews). I picked up a batch of "bargain zooms" from a seller here on the Marketplace, which included the F35-80. It seems there's a bit of sample variation, but I think I got a good one. I like the FL for those dogwalks and hikes in the woods, where "long" is more useful than "wide". It pairs nicely with the K10D
03-04-2018, 11:01 AM - 6 Likes   #3544
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It seems there's a bit of sample variation, but I think I got a good one.

Isn't it funny how good photographers always seem to get a "good copy" while bad photographers always get a "bad copy"?

The snow turned out to be a bit frustrating. The road up onto the high moor was closed, and I didn't fancy hiking it through knee deep snow and sub zero temperatures. Meanwhile, down at the slightly lower level where I live, we didn't get more than a couple of inches. Still managed to lose electricity for the night though!

I managed to get out for a short walk on the golf course around the corner and came back with the feeble consolation of this snap of Pixie's Cross. And yes, I know that living next to a golf course kinda wipes out the whole Dartmoor wilderness image. But this isn't exactly your normal golf course. You've got sheep grazing on the fairways, ponies examining your putting technique on the greens, and a risk of getting lost in fog and wandering into a mire. They should really hold the Open there one year.

And I don't even like golf.

03-05-2018, 09:39 AM - 3 Likes   #3545
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some from in and around Paris, including one taken during Blue Hour while on the Seine.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
03-05-2018, 09:51 AM   #3546
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Isn't it funny how good photographers always seem to get a "good copy" while bad photographers always get a "bad copy"?
Thanks Dave, and a wonderful image from you as well!

And yes, I know that living next to a golf course kinda wipes out the whole Dartmoor wilderness image. But this isn't exactly your normal golf course. You've got sheep grazing on the fairways, ponies examining your putting technique on the greens, and a risk of getting lost in fog and wandering into a mire. They should really hold the Open there one year.
Fabulous setting for a tournament! I don't care much for golf either, but that is one I would thoroughly enjoy seeing
03-05-2018, 10:11 PM   #3547
Veteran Member

First blooms of spring

The first blooms of spring are here and when I went out to get the mail this afternoon, the light was at an interesting angle, so I went back in and grabbed my K200D and took a few snaps. Yeah, it's not a K10D but it has the same CCD sensor, just in a simpler, more intuitive (at least to me) package.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
03-06-2018, 10:17 AM   #3548

Nice Job E-man
03-08-2018, 09:29 AM - 2 Likes   #3549
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
First blooms of spring
Very nice!

Here's a few shots, one old and others new, taken with a Cosmicar A35-70/4:

Last edited by paulh; 03-08-2018 at 09:36 AM.
03-10-2018, 02:34 AM - 6 Likes   #3550
Pentaxian

Mares guarding a newborn foal that's hidden among the rocks. Trying to get any closer than this would have been stupid, ignorant, and potentially dangerous both to myself and the foal, so I didn't. Shot with the 18-55mm WR because there was rain in the air, and sure enough about two minutes later it was raining.

03-10-2018, 08:52 AM   #3551
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

two minutes later it was raining.
Nice, Dave. Looks like its already raining, seen behind the left-most pony.
03-11-2018, 09:25 PM - 4 Likes   #3552
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It was a beautiful sunny day today with whispy clouds in the sky and it seemed like good day to bring out the Tamron 10-24mm.

Lakes Beach. This was the first time I have been there.

Soldiers Beach. One of my favoutite beaches.

I even got to shoot some whales at Soldiers with a 10-24mm lens. It happens to be a beautiful piece of artwork on the toilet block.
03-12-2018, 03:05 AM   #3553
Pentaxian

It was a beautiful sunny day today with whispy clouds in the sky and it seemed like good day to bring out the Tamron 10-24mm.

You've brightened up my rainy Dartmoor morning with those scenes of sunshine, Ray.

It's amazing how little curvature of the horizon there is at 10mm with that Tamron. It looks like a very handy lens to have in your arsenal.
03-12-2018, 10:19 AM   #3554
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

seemed like good day to bring out the Tamron 10-24mm
Beautiful shots, Ray. You're so lucky to have such nice (and uncrowded) beaches so close by!

Here's a couple from a late-January hike in some remote wooded areas of the lake. Vivitar 28/2.8 Close-focus on K10D:

03-12-2018, 02:04 PM   #3555
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You've brightened up my rainy Dartmoor morning with those scenes of sunshine, Ray.

It's amazing how little curvature of the horizon there is at 10mm with that Tamron. It looks like a very handy lens to have in your arsenal.
I am pleased that I was able to brighten your day, Dave.

All I did was to make sure the horizon was straight and apply lens correction in ACR but it did not change much. Yes, that lens has been very satisfying to work with. It was my second choice when I bought it. I really wanted a Pentax 12-24mm but its price was way outside my comfort zone. At about one third the price at that time the Tamron was an easy choice.

---------- Post added 13-03-18 at 08:10 AM ----------

Beautiful shots, Ray. You're so lucky to have such nice (and uncrowded) beaches so close by!
Thank you, Paul. Being close to lots of beautiful beaches and lakes was a significant reason for moving to this area. And that is why most of my images include water. I hope you don't get bored with that.