Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12492 Likes Search this Thread
03-19-2018, 02:43 AM - 3 Likes   #3571
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks guys. It looks beautiful up there today, but I've got too much boring grown-up stuff to do . I'm hoping to get out later around the golden hour when I don't have to pretend to be an adult anymore.

Here's another one from yesterday. One of the nice things about walking up a snow-closed road that you normally drive along is that you discover views that you never new existed.

03-19-2018, 08:13 AM - 1 Like   #3572
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
but I've got too much boring grown-up stuff to do
I hate when that happens

Here's a few from a morning dogwalk at the park in early February. The F35-80 has become my everyday walkaround lens:

03-19-2018, 01:25 PM   #3573
Pentaxian

The K10D Tilt today?

Back around 2008 after I'd had my K10D for a while, I realised that my pictures were slightly but noticably tilted. I had thought it was my own fault until I did tests by taking photos of a straight edge along the top of the view in the finder. I discovered on another forum at that time that it was a known issue with K10Ds but that Pentax were in denial of the problem. Since then I have corrected it in software if needed.

Searching on this forum I found these from 9-10 years ago :-

Leaning viewfinder on K10D - PentaxForums.com

How can I deal with the damn K10D camera? - PentaxForums.com

It sounds like a manufacturing fault (as it is so consistent) and it all seems to have been left in the air back then, apart from sending it back for a service which does not necessarily seem to cure it in all cases. I'm wondering what the situation is today - has there been a software fix, which someone mentioned as a possibility in those threads?
03-19-2018, 02:13 PM   #3574
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
I'm wondering what the situation is today
My K10D has produced slightly tilted photos for as long as I've had it (6 yrs). But it isn't severe and is so easily corrected in post I never think about it. I always check for tilted horizons in post with all my photos, not just the K10D's.

Last edited by paulh; 03-20-2018 at 09:00 AM.
03-19-2018, 02:25 PM   #3575
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Back around 2008 after I'd had my K10D for a while, I realised that my pictures were slightly but noticably tilted. I had thought it was my own fault until I did tests by taking photos of a straight edge along the top of the view in the finder. I discovered on another forum at that time that it was a known issue with K10Ds but that Pentax were in denial of the problem. Since then I have corrected it in software if needed.

It sounds like a manufacturing fault (as it is so consistent) and it all seems to have been left in the air back then, apart from sending it back for a service which does not necessarily seem to cure it in all cases. I'm wondering what the situation is today - has there been a software fix, which someone mentioned as a possibility in those threads?
I have the same problem with my K10D and I thank you for bringing this up. I have never bothered to do the research to find out if others had the same problem and it makes me feel a little better to know that it was not just my camera that suffered from this issue.

I did tests with a spirit level ensuring that my camera was level and that my subject (a metal window frame) was also level and the images were always about half a degree out. Knowing that it would always be so I just fix it in post.
03-20-2018, 02:22 AM   #3576
Pentaxian

I'm wondering what the situation is today - has there been a software fix, which someone mentioned as a possibility in those threads?

The edges of the image that you see in the viewfinder are defined by the thin metal frame that holds the focusing screen, and there is also a rectangular shim in there that adjusts the screen to the correct focal plane. Back when I first got my GX-10 version of the K10D I had to re-shim the screen because the focus was slightly out, and I noticed then that the original shim had shifted, causing a slight tilt in the viewfinder image. I was able to fix the tilt as part of re-shimming and haven't had any problems since.

It only takes a minute or two to unclip the focusing screen and adjust the shim, so I'd suggest double-checking that first.
03-20-2018, 02:57 AM   #3577

Interesting. I always thought that my sloping horizons were due my lazy stance. or one leg being shorter than the other.

03-20-2018, 05:04 AM   #3578
Pentaxian

Okay, I've finally bothered to read through that 9 page thread about tilted K10Ds. So here's a couple of suggestions further to what I said above about the focusing screen frame.

Put your camera on a table with the shake reduction turned off, making sure that the edge of the table is visible and in focus at the bottom of the viewfinder. Does the edge of the table look straight in the viewfinder? If not, then check your focusing screen as I said above. If the edge of the table does look straight in the viewfinder, take a photo (SR off) and check if it's straight in the photo. If it's tilted in the photo then your sensor is misaligned and there's nothing you can do to fix it yourself.

If you do turn out to have a misaligned sensor, the easiest thing would be to tweak the focusing screen so that the viewfinder image is deliberately misaligned to match the misaligned sensor. Judging by those two old threads, it looks like that's how Pentax "fixed" a lot of the cameras that were sent in for service.
03-20-2018, 09:00 AM - 2 Likes   #3579
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A day at the park in early March - DA18-55 on K10D:

03-20-2018, 09:53 AM - 2 Likes   #3580
Pentaxian

Feeling a bit tyred.

03-20-2018, 12:19 PM   #3581
Pentaxian

Oh man, is it still snowing in Dartmoor?

Nice pictures, @paulh. That 18-55 does good in your hands.

And just so I don't come here empty-handed... some more gorgeous colors from the K10D, also brought to you by the M 50 f4 Macro.

03-20-2018, 01:29 PM   #3582
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feeling a bit tyred.

Ah, I guess those are what they call "snow tyres"!

---------- Post added 21-03-18 at 07:46 AM ----------

Okay, I've finally bothered to read through that 9 page thread about tilted K10Ds. So here's a couple of suggestions further to what I said above about the focusing screen frame.

Put your camera on a table with the shake reduction turned off, making sure that the edge of the table is visible and in focus at the bottom of the viewfinder. Does the edge of the table look straight in the viewfinder? If not, then check your focusing screen as I said above. If the edge of the table does look straight in the viewfinder, take a photo (SR off) and check if it's straight in the photo. If it's tilted in the photo then your sensor is misaligned and there's nothing you can do to fix it yourself.

If you do turn out to have a misaligned sensor, the easiest thing would be to tweak the focusing screen so that the viewfinder image is deliberately misaligned to match the misaligned sensor. Judging by those two old threads, it looks like that's how Pentax "fixed" a lot of the cameras that were sent in for service.
Yes, I read through those threads too, Dave, and I was not convinced that my problem was caused by a tilt in the focusing screen.

I performed a similar test to the one you suggest. Camera on tripod with SR off, spirit level test on tripod, camera and subject (which was a metal window frame). All were 100% level but the image was not. Therefore, the sensor is not level and you have also come to the same conclusion. I am not sure that I want to fiddle with the focus screen as I find it much easier to fix it in post if required. It only takes a couple of seconds and I am very used to doing it now.

My greatest relief is knowing that I am not alone. I wonder how difficult it would be to realign a sensor - not that I would consider trying it. It may not even be possible.

---------- Post added 21-03-18 at 07:48 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
A day at the park in early March - DA18-55 on K10D:

The clouds in that 3rd image are wonderful, Paul.

Last edited by rayallen; 03-20-2018 at 01:46 PM.
03-21-2018, 02:50 AM   #3583
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
Yes, I read through those threads too, Dave, and I was not convinced that my problem was caused by a tilt in the focusing screen.

There was one other thing I should have mentioned. Even though I know that my viewfinder and sensor are straight, I always seem to end up with wonky horizons anyway .

I blame it on the tiny little APS-C viewfinder. I never have a problem with horizons when I'm using the huge picture window finder of a film SLR, and if anything is ever going to make me move to "full frame" it'll be things like the bigger viewfinder rather than the bigger sensor. Although I'm told that the view through a "full frame" DSLR still doesn't come close to a decent film SLR. How does the viewfinder in your FF Canon compare, Ray?
03-21-2018, 09:18 AM   #3584
Pentaxian

My K10D might be funky with a main board going bad right now, but I have never noticed that it tilts the horizon in any way So I guess it's still a keeper!
03-21-2018, 10:16 AM   #3585
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
The clouds in that 3rd image are wonderful, Paul.
Thanks Ray - there were some strange clouds that day for sure. Here's another from the same outing with the kit lens: