Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12492 Likes Search this Thread
03-21-2018, 02:07 PM   #3586
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Thanks Ray - there were some strange clouds that day for sure. Here's another from the same outing with the kit lens:
That one is pure cloud magic.

---------- Post added 22-03-18 at 08:54 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I never have a problem with horizons when I'm using the huge picture window finder of a film SLR, and if anything is ever going to make me move to "full frame" it'll be things like the bigger viewfinder rather than the bigger sensor. Although I'm told that the view through a "full frame" DSLR still doesn't come close to a decent film SLR. How does the viewfinder in your FF Canon compare, Ray?
I wear muti-focal glasses all the time and I can't see the whole VF screen on my Spotmatic unless I take my glasses off. The difference between my K10D/K-3 and my FF Canon is not very great IMHO. Yes, the FF screen is a bit larger and is really only noticeable when you switch cameras in quick succession. In the field I doubt that you would notice much difference.

But that could be a personal thing and I recommend that you try the "full frame" experience for yourself. One thing I have noticed is that there is not much difference in the brightness of the VFs between the K10D, K-3 and the FF Canon. Of course, all of them have pentaprisms. I have always avoided a camera with a penta-mirror as I have read that they are not as bright. However, at the risk of committing heresy, I have to report that the VF on the APS-C Canon 20D is brighter and clearer than anything I have previously experienced. I must check with my photog mates who have current model Canons and Nikons.

03-22-2018, 01:39 PM   #3587
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
I performed a similar test to the one you suggest. Camera on tripod with SR off, spirit level test on tripod, camera and subject (which was a metal window frame). All were 100% level but the image was not. Therefore, the sensor is not level and you have also come to the same conclusion.
OK, I tried Dartmoor Dave's table method but did not find it easy to focus on the edge (manual focussing) because of the background etc and getting my head sideways down on the table. I think my contact lenses were sliding sideways. So I then tried a shot of a window frame about 6 feet away that was level, with camera on a tripod that was also level (using builders spirit level). The image in the viewfinder was dipping to the left, but the taken picture (according to the review screen) was level. Similarly, and consistently, when I got the window frame level in the viewfinder, the taken picture dipped to the right. So it seems in my case that it is the focusing screen or mirror that is a bit out, not the sensor. I shall have a fiddle with it.
03-23-2018, 09:15 AM   #3588

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Thanks Ray - there were some strange clouds that day for sure. Here's another from the same outing with the kit lens:
Those clouds look like the Breath of Posideon Lol
03-23-2018, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #3589
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That one is pure cloud magic.
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSteele Quote
Thanks guys - it was a great day for clouds at the park. There's a few more in the background of this shot (DA18-55):

03-24-2018, 02:42 AM - 2 Likes   #3590
Pentaxian

After last night's efforts at the local pub quiz, I've woken up with the Breath of Satan .
03-24-2018, 09:37 AM - 1 Like   #3591
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After last night's efforts at the local pub quiz, I've woken up with the Breath of Satan .
Now that's more information than I needed this morning!

More kit lens fun at the park in early March. Hard to believe this was 3 weeks ago - the trees have mostly leafed out now.

Jeannie was getting tired of me waving my camera around, so she decided to just curl up under the tree.

Last edited by paulh; 03-24-2018 at 09:49 AM.
03-27-2018, 09:55 AM - 3 Likes   #3592
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A couple more "kit lens at the park" shots from early March:

03-28-2018, 09:36 PM - 4 Likes   #3593
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pedestrian bridge at Budgewoi. 8 vertical images stitched in PSCC. Pentax K10D, SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL on a pano head. (Cross posted)

03-29-2018, 02:29 PM - 3 Likes   #3594
Pentaxian

New lens. Craigs Optics 60-300mm (identical to Soligor and Promaster 67mm filter thread lenses, this one's probably made by Kiron).

Very pleasing rendering and while not super sharp, it doesn't soften hardly at all at the 300mm unlike most cheap xx-300mm zooms. First one is around 100mm, the others are all are 300mm. #2 at MFD (It is a 1:4 close focus lens). No cropping, I've been trying to always get the picture framed the way I want it since we only have 10MP to play with

---------- Post added 03-29-18 at 05:36 PM ----------

Couple more from the Craigs Optics, showing off the K10D colors! I don't have to mess much with the colors, that is pretty much how the lens renders!

03-29-2018, 05:48 PM - 2 Likes   #3595
Forum Member

Found some old K10D clicks.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
03-30-2018, 08:25 AM   #3596
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

F35-80 on K10D from a couple weeks ago (most of the blossoms are gone now):

03-30-2018, 02:17 PM   #3597

Have alot of these on drive to my cabin
their fun to photograph in spring
I think I posted a couple on my Flickr page recently
03-30-2018, 07:08 PM - 2 Likes   #3598
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have alot of these on drive to my cabin
their fun to photograph in spring
I think I posted a couple on my Flickr page recently
Sadly, most of the ones around here are already gone. But there are plenty of other flowers around. The first of the bluebonnets are showing up here in DFW. Then of course, another Spring favorite. (F35-70):
03-31-2018, 01:48 AM   #3599
Pentaxian

Pedestrian bridge at Budgewoi. 8 vertical images stitched in PSCC. Pentax K10D, SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL on a pano head. (Cross posted)

That's an epic shot, Ray. One to print huuuuge. Love it. (Apologies for the late response.)
03-31-2018, 02:03 AM   #3600
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's an epic shot, Ray. One to print huuuuge. Love it. (Apologies for the late response.)
Apology accepted. Thank you so much for your compliments, Dave. I had not thought of printing it at all, least of all at huuuuge size. I can only print A4 at home so I would have to get it done professionally and then framed. Oh, decisions, decisions!
I do place a lot of store in your words so I will give it more thought. Is it really that good?

---------- Post added 31-03-18 at 08:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
New lens. Craigs Optics 60-300mm (identical to Soligor and Promaster 67mm filter thread lenses, this one's probably made by Kiron).

Very pleasing rendering and while not super sharp, it doesn't soften hardly at all at the 300mm unlike most cheap xx-300mm zooms. First one is around 100mm, the others are all are 300mm. #2 at MFD (It is a 1:4 close focus lens). No cropping, I've been trying to always get the picture framed the way I want it since we only have 10MP to play with

---------- Post added 03-29-18 at 05:36 PM ----------

Couple more from the Craigs Optics, showing off the K10D colors! I don't have to mess much with the colors, that is pretty much how the lens renders!

I see no reason why you should not be pleased with that lens. Colour rendition and sharpness are quite good for that FL range. It's a keeper.