Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12503 Likes Search this Thread
05-25-2018, 05:13 AM   #3736
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tomsawyer Quote
This is another example of "pretty useless" ISO 1600 :-).
Correctly exposed 1600 and 800 shots can look good. Things go down hill in 1600+ situations on the K10 but that would be the same for any camera hitting it's ISO limits.

05-25-2018, 08:49 AM - 2 Likes   #3737
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A few shots from a Spring day at the park in early March. We had some unusual clouds that day. DA18-55:

05-25-2018, 08:59 AM   #3738
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most things are boring to people who have no inner life, which includes of course imagination and deeper kinds of understanding.

For them, perhaps, flower pictures need signs saying something like

"WARNING:
GRAPHIC DEPICTIONS OF PLANT SEX ORGANS
(some viewers may wish to look away)."

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Today I got an O-ME53 and put it on the K10D. I can't believe it took me that long to get one...

My flickr is boring now because I basically went back to where I had taken some pictures with the K-50 and Rikenon P 50 1.4 and took pictures with the K10D and the same lens. So lots of lillies and clematis in similar poses...

One thing I noticed (and I think Paul has alluded to this) is that the K10D tends to soften harsh light, making full sun pictures much more pleasing with nicer colors. Since I used both cameras during the lunch break at high noon, I was able to verify this. Another "placebo" CCD effect? Maybe, but it adds to the list

So here's some more boring flower pictures..

---------- Post added 05-25-18 at 11:11 AM ----------

I am assuming you fellows are talking about this:
PENTAX Magnifier Eyecup O-ME53 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
I had never heard of it before.

My problem with eyepiece magnifiers, is that, as a glasses wearer, I have enough problems seeing the outer frame edges in most camera viewfinders when they are unmagifiied. This can lead to me taking a lot of crooked pictures.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I've become so used to the O-ME53 that I'd genuinely forgotten it wasn't a standard part of the camera until I read this.

My own theory about the CCD look is that it's a combination of the sensor hardware and the camera's firmware. The K10D, and the earlier 6MP cameras, were released at a time when there was still a huge number of photographers who needed to be tempted away from film, so camera manufacturers had a very good reason for making DSLR's that produced quite a film-like look. I know that I was far from the only one who was put off for years by the video freeze-frame look of early digital cameras.

But then a combination of factors kicked in. The cheaper and much more profitable CMOS technology reached a point where DSLR makers could get away with using it, and by that time DSLRs had overtaken film as the dominant medium for "serious" photographers. So now camera makers needed a new whiz-bang marketing angle, and the mad race for bigger pixel counts and higher ISO began, and who cares about the aesthetics anyway? The overwhelming majority of DSLRs are male jewellery that are never used for anything more than family happysnaps, and what those guys want is the latest hi-tec trophy around their neck to prove that they can afford it.

Oops, I seem to have gone off on a rant. . .

Anyway, I suppose my point is that the photography world has become so obsessed with resolution and ISO performance that the aesthetics of rendering are hardly ever mentioned at all. Even Pentax Forums has got too many lens comparison threads where people agonise over insignificantly tiny differences in corner resolution, without ever seeming to notice or care about the clearly different rendering styles. It makes me want to weep for the future of photography when somebody says that two test shots look exactly the same, when actually the camera has obviously chosen wildly different auto white balances.

And. . .

Nope, still ranting. I think I'll stop now.
05-25-2018, 01:33 PM   #3739

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
I went for a beach walk yesterday under a cloudless sunny sky so the K10D was a natural choice. It excels under those conditions. And the SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR also got some well-deserved love.
Ray, thank you for magic. I have so much to learn. Very inspiring shots.

05-25-2018, 03:04 PM   #3740
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is another example of "pretty useless" ISO 1600 :-).
An excellent example of what can be achieved with a well exposed K10D shot at 1600. I too have proven this to be so. My camera is normally stuck on ISO100 but I should probably be a bit bolder occasionally.

---------- Post added 26-05-18 at 08:10 AM ----------

Ray, thank you for magic. I have so much to learn. Very inspiring shots.
Thank you for your kind words, Tom. Keep shooting and participating here and you will learn. It all takes time and I have been doing this for over 40 years.
05-27-2018, 04:55 AM   #3741

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
A few shots from a Spring day at the park in early March. We had some unusual clouds that day. DA18-55:

Love the Stingray clouds shot.....
05-27-2018, 09:13 AM   #3742
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSteele Quote
Love the Stingray clouds shot.....

Thanks! I was the only person that seemed to notice them that day

A couple more kit lens shots, xposted elsewhere...

05-27-2018, 06:15 PM - 1 Like   #3743
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The big difference between now and the time the K10D was released is noise reduction software is immensely better. Of course nothing can replace a properly exposed image. Success with High ISO is not clipping your shadows and having an image were you are not pushing the limits of the dynamic range. I routinely shot my K10D all the way up to ISO1600. But I mostly kept it to 800 and below. I'm so old school I rarely take my K-1 above 1600 even though I shot all the way up to ISO20,000. The K10D was the camera that finally convinced me to ditch film. I am need to clean the sensor on my K10D. It has sòooooooo much dust on it. The last I did use it I remembered how well it could capture reds and greens.
05-27-2018, 06:54 PM - 2 Likes   #3744
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Just wrapping up processing some images I made in Silverton, Oregon 5 years ago. My family lived in this town in the mid 1960's, and I had some time to kill while laid over in nearby Salem.

There are a number of large murals on various buildings around town.

The last one honors NASA astronaut Don Pettit. In 2017 he was the oldest active astronaut at 62 years of age.

All shot with my K10D and smc PENTAX-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 05-27-2018 at 07:02 PM.
05-27-2018, 08:16 PM - 2 Likes   #3745
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Just wrapping up processing some images I made in Silverton, Oregon 5 years ago. My family lived in this town in the mid 1960's, and I had some time to kill while laid over in nearby Salem.

The last one honors NASA astronaut Don Pettit. In 2017 he was the oldest active astronaut at 62 years of age.

All shot with my K10D and smc PENTAX-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR.
Those are beautiful murals and you have captured them so well with the K10D and the 18-55mm WR. A great combination. TFS, Racer.
05-27-2018, 08:57 PM   #3746
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
Those are beautiful murals and you have captured them so well with the K10D and the 18-55mm WR. A great combination. TFS, Racer.

Thank you so much for the kind words Ray!
05-28-2018, 05:38 AM   #3747
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote

I forgot to add that the first mural had some poetry on it:

Not easy to read, there is some poetry on the mural.
"Return to a day,
When they'd steal away,
To sneak a kiss,
Or moonshine or fish,
'Neath the old covered bridge,
Named the Gallon House
After a place nearby,
Cross the Abiqua
To Mt Angel,
When Silverton was 'dry',
In Nineteen Hundred And Sixteen,
Built to last,
The years have passed,
Oh the stories it has seen."
05-28-2018, 08:26 AM   #3748
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Love the murals, Racer.

Quiet evening at the ponds a couple weeks ago. DA18-55 again:
05-28-2018, 08:47 AM   #3749
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Love the murals, Racer.

Quiet evening at the ponds a couple weeks ago. DA18-55 again:

Thanks Paul.
05-28-2018, 08:54 AM - 2 Likes   #3750
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

More from Silverton.

Invisible Barbie.

Centipede Barbie.

Both are artwork from the Barbie lady shop in downtown Silverton, Oregon. Read more about the Barbie Lady here: All About The Barbie Lady

K10D, and smc PENTAX-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 05-29-2018 at 04:36 PM.