Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12492 Likes Search this Thread
06-13-2018, 09:41 AM - 3 Likes   #3796
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A few more from one evening in late May. SMC Tak 55/1.8 (some xposted)

Look, but don't touch!

06-14-2018, 12:36 AM - 4 Likes   #3797
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
With the Super Takumar 20mm and using the embedded profile. For the past few years I've always used my own custom profiles in Camera Raw for a more naturalistic look, but lately I've been feeling tempted by the less accurate but more colourful style of the embedded profile.

06-14-2018, 01:15 AM   #3798
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
With the Super Takumar 20mm and using the embedded profile. For the past few years I've always used my own custom profiles in Camera Raw for a more naturalistic look, but lately I've been feeling tempted by the less accurate but more colourful style of the embedded profile.

That sure is a fine image, Dave. A good example of how good the new profiles are. I find that I am using them most of the time now. They are a welcome improvement to ACR.
06-14-2018, 08:44 AM   #3799
Pentaxian

I could be in the minority here, but I feel that your own custom profiles are better. This is a fine picture, but I think it would look better with your regular style of processing

06-14-2018, 03:34 PM   #3800
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I could be in the minority here, but I feel that your own custom profiles are better. This is a fine picture, but I think it would look better with your regular style of processing
In this case, I guess it is "horses for courses".
06-14-2018, 05:53 PM - 2 Likes   #3801
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
That one looks like it has a few miles on the clock. But not ready to retire just yet.
That truck likely doesn't have much more than 100,000 miles on it. Being a local tractor it probably only sees short day runs, a couple hundred miles or so.

The truck in this picture had over 5,000,000 miles on it when I took this image of it 8 years ago.

06-14-2018, 07:31 PM - 5 Likes   #3802
Pentaxian

I really liked how the light was shining on these flowers...

06-14-2018, 07:38 PM - 1 Like   #3803
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
That truck likely doesn't have much more than 100,000 miles on it. Being a local tractor it probably only sees short day runs, a couple hundred miles or so.

The truck in this picture had over 5,000,000 miles on it when I took this image of it 8 years ago.

Thanks for that photo, Racer. That really warms my heart. Five Million miles! That is nothing short of amazing. They were built to last and with appropriate care, they do.

P.S. I am not unfamilar with trucks as my father had a trucking business and I worked in the transport industry for a couple of years before I got into computers.
06-14-2018, 07:45 PM - 1 Like   #3804
Pentaxian

Agreed, 5 million miles is crazy! How many engine changes does it go through to get to that point?
06-15-2018, 01:14 AM   #3805
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
In this case, I guess it is "horses for courses".

Thanks for the feedback, Christian and Ray. I think what I'll do is decide which profile suits each photo best as I go along, instead of just automatically going straight for my custom profile like I've been doing. It's never good to get stuck in a rut. Horses for courses is the new motto.

---------- Post added 06-15-18 at 09:21 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote

Nerdy question that I can't resist: does the odometer on a truck like that get to 999,999 miles then roll back to 0? Or will it show 1,000,000 and higher because the trucks are built to do that kind of mileage?
06-15-2018, 02:11 AM - 1 Like   #3806
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Nerdy question that I can't resist: does the odometer on a truck like that get to 999,999 miles then roll back to 0? Or will it show 1,000,000 and higher because the trucks are built to do that kind of mileage?
The mechanical odometers in big trucks roll over to zero after a million miles.

Newer big trucks with electronic instrumentation also ‘roll over’ every million miles, but I doubt many of them are kept in service as long as that old Kenworth.
06-15-2018, 02:13 AM   #3807
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for that photo, Racer. That really warms my heart.
You’re welcome Ray!
06-15-2018, 02:21 AM   #3808
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Agreed, 5 million miles is crazy! How many engine changes does it go through to get to that point?
Older big truck engines would get rebuilt many times. They were designed to be rebuildable. New pistons, reconditioned crankshaft and rods, reconditioned cylinder head, etc.

That truck had a mechanical engine originally, a Cummins 350 Big Cam. The guy who owns it now replaced that engine at around 2,000,000 miles with an early Cummins Red Top (electronic fuel injection). It has likely been rebuilt at least once.
06-15-2018, 05:30 AM   #3809
Pentaxian

Thanks for the feedback, Christian and Ray. I think what I'll do is decide which profile suits each photo best as I go along, instead of just automatically going straight for my custom profile like I've been doing. It's never good to get stuck in a rut. Horses for courses is the new motto.[COLOR="Silver"]
Shouldn't it be ponies for courses?

I liked the contrast between the colors in this one:

I didn't even bother to correct the purple fringing from the Takumar Bayonet 135 2.8 because it matches the purple edges of the flowers....

Last edited by ChristianRock; 06-15-2018 at 06:59 AM.
06-15-2018, 08:04 AM - 2 Likes   #3810
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beebalm at sunset - SMC Tak 55/1.8 again:

At the creek with the DA16-45 :

Last edited by paulh; 06-15-2018 at 11:24 AM.