Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12504 Likes Search this Thread
02-01-2019, 02:19 PM   #4486
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I had to be in Launceston for an appointment this morning, so I stopped by the castle to grab a snap. The castle is closed at this time of year, so this angle was the best I could manage without climbing over the fence -- which I couldn't do because there was a security camera pointing right at me. With the Takumar 17mm again. And for some reason, uploading to Flickr seems to have added a sort of faint crosshatching effect, at least on my monitor.

That looks very cold, Dave. That image looks just fine on Flickr on my monitor. A beautiful 17mm Takumar image.
I thought you might have at least called in to see me on your way down to Tasmania. But maybe there is another Launceston closer to where you live. It's possible, I guess.
Launceston, Tasmania - Wikipedia

02-01-2019, 03:00 PM   #4487
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
That looks very cold, Dave. That image looks just fine on Flickr on my monitor. A beautiful 17mm Takumar image.
I thought you might have at least called in to see me on your way down to Tasmania. But maybe there is another Launceston closer to where you live. It's possible, I guess.
Launceston, Tasmania - Wikipedia
Thanks Ray. Visiting the various places in your part of the world that are named after places in Devon and Cornwall is one of my bucket list items, so I'll be sure to stop by to see you along the way.

There's also a famous Launceston (Cornwall) lad with an Australian connection: a convict named William Bryant who escaped from Botany Bay with his wife Mary in an open boat and amazingly made it to safety and freedom. A bit of a local hero around here, as we're quite fond of our smugglers, pirates, and rogues.
02-01-2019, 03:37 PM   #4488

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I had to be in Launceston for an appointment this morning, so I stopped by the castle to grab a snap. The castle is closed at this time of year, so this angle was the best I could manage without climbing over the fence -- which I couldn't do because there was a security camera pointing right at me. With the Takumar 17mm again. And for some reason, uploading to Flickr seems to have added a sort of faint crosshatching effect, at least on my monitor.
Nice photo! Glad you didn't get caught by security. haha :P

Below are some shots I took just now... I've been lamenting my K10D's low light performance lately (slow focusing, fuzzy shots) and so I decided to experiment with letting the camera go to ISO 1600. Per recommendations I've read online I've usually limited it to 800 max in the past. I figure if I can shoot a step higher in ISO it won't help with focusing but should reduce blur in my shots.

What I found is that the color noise can be handled quite nicely in post processing, and the grain noise I don't seem to mind at all... I think I actually like it. The colors are still great, maybe because of the CCD sensor, I don't know. I did find that I can adjust the exposure much, much less than an ISO 100 photo. Way less. So it's more important to get the exposure right - but when you do the images still look great (IMO). And another thing I found is that the high ISO noise is actually quite pleasant (again, IMO) in black and white photos!

One other observation is that high ISO and shadows do not mix well. But again, if I don't touch the exposure it is fine. If it's a bright scene I can actually adjust the exposure post-processing if need be, but dark scenes give no latitude at 1600. Still, if it's a choice between 1600 or 800 and a blurry shot, I think I'll be letting the camera go to 1600 from now on.

02-01-2019, 03:57 PM - 3 Likes   #4489
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Frosty leaves. K10D with Auto-Takumar 55/2.2

02-01-2019, 04:42 PM   #4490

QuoteOriginally posted by Minimonster Quote
Frosty leaves. K10D with Auto-Takumar 55/2.2

Very nice! I'm researching that lens now...
02-01-2019, 08:14 PM   #4491

My first DSLR was the K100D, but still loved it to death until it was time to upgrade ad got my K 5II - gorgeous pics though
02-02-2019, 02:11 AM   #4492
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mobusaki Quote
Very nice! I'm researching that lens now...
I've only had it a few days but I'm using it for the Single in challenge this month. I was lucky enough to pick up a copy in beautiful condition with the original caps and an Asahi skylight filter off eBay for £16.50 which seems like a total bargain. So far I'd say it's sharp with nice rendering and colours. Recommended.

02-02-2019, 03:03 AM   #4493
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Minimonster Quote
I was lucky enough to pick up a copy in beautiful condition with the original caps and an Asahi skylight filter off eBay for £16.50 which seems like a total bargain. So far I'd say it's sharp with nice rendering and colours. Recommended.

That's a heck of a bargain. The Auto-Taks have a quite different rendering style to the later lenses, slightly cooler, and they really can give beautiful results. I'm looking forward to seeing more from your 55mm/2.2.
02-02-2019, 02:59 PM - 3 Likes   #4494
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been browsing some old folders and found some images that I had not processed. These were taken on World Pentax Day on July 12, 2014. K10D and Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.0 DC Macro HSM 013 Contemporary.

Sydney Opera House. Yes, I know it has been done a few million times before but there are always new compositions to try.

The eastern terrace of Government House in Sydney's Royal Botanic Garden. What a pleasant place to sit and drink one's morning coffee or tea. It is no longer the Governor's residence and the public are able to wander around this magnificent building.
02-03-2019, 11:30 AM - 1 Like   #4495
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
I have been browsing some old folders and found some images that I had not processed
I've been doing the same lately, Ray! Love those vivid colors.

These were taken a month ago (early January) while walking Jeannie on some nearby trails. I was surprised to find these blooming weeds in the middle of winter! F35-80 on K10D:

Last edited by paulh; 02-03-2019 at 11:39 AM.
02-03-2019, 02:00 PM - 3 Likes   #4496

Great find! I love finding some green in the midst of winter. I found some green yesterday (see below). I was practicing some action photography with my dog (it was a bright day and I could keep the shutter speed above 500 easily), but I need some more practice it seems. Not many were in focus, but I did get some keepers. I kept the ISO at 800 which I really regret as the noise was much worse than I expected - I guess I was overconfident after my ISO 1600 tests the other day. I could have kept the ISO at 100-400 with all the light I had. Oh well, live and learn. The shots that did come out well and didn't require any exposure compensation after the fact have such nice color and detail. So overall I'm pretty pleased with the day!

I also have been finding that I crop photos a lot. I get really aggressive with it as well. When I eventually get a new Pentax I think I would benefit from the increased pixels.

Here's some green I found!

This one here is cropped a LOT. I just liked the way it is framed this way.

I love the detail in this shot.

Here's one of the few action shots that was in focus. I cropped this one pretty hard as well.

02-04-2019, 10:07 AM - 3 Likes   #4497
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mobusaki Quote
I guess I was overconfident after my ISO 1600 tests the other day. I could have kept the ISO at 100-400 with all the light I had.
I think you did well with the higher iso shots, and they all have lovely color! I have my K10 auto-iso range set to 100-800, but try to keep it under 400 if possible.

Taken by my wife around New Years with the DA55-300:
02-04-2019, 11:09 AM   #4498

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
I think you did well with the higher iso shots, and they all have lovely color! I have my K10 auto-iso range set to 100-800, but try to keep it under 400 if possible.

Taken by my wife around New Years with the DA55-300:
Thank you. I will be doing the same from now on.

Lovely hues in that sunset!
02-04-2019, 12:02 PM   #4499
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most of the cropping I do happens when I straighten shots I took crookedly, and that is usually the result of not being able to see the sides of the frame in the viewfinder with my glasses. That can steal a some resolution from a 6-megapixel shot, but usually not enough to worry about. I've also taken the top and bottom off of some landscape shots to emphasize the horizon line, but keeping the original width doesn't really lower resolution.

My other crops, to get a square format, for example, or to pull a flower blossom close-up out of a shot taken with too wide of a lens or a lens without close-focusing ability, are rather rare. I'm not suggesting others shouldn't do all sorts of cropping. Just confessing my own habits at this time.
02-06-2019, 11:15 AM   #4500
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's a couple images taken at Founders Plaza observation area at DFW Airport last September. DA18-55: