Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12504 Likes Search this Thread
04-06-2019, 08:38 AM - 4 Likes   #4576
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
F35-70 on K10D:

04-07-2019, 12:43 AM - 1 Like   #4577

I have said that my small square Pentax K-01 and Fuji X-T1 is more comfortable for me tham my K10D as I never really got on with any bulky rounded cameras post autofocus .
However , I still have the K10D and would not part with it but use a Sony A290 with a similar CCD purely to use my 1990s Minolta mount lenses .
What I love about this thread is that you champion less expensive lenses and create great results .

There seems to be some downers on the standard zoom - as it is essential to immediately upgrade at vast expense .

I find the standard zoom from Pentax / Minolta / Fuji suits me perfectly - plus the Pentax 35mm f2.5 and Sony 35 f1.8 [ Fuji don't cater for an inexpensive 'standard' [ to those over 70 years when a superb 50 f2/1.8/1.7/1.4 came with the camera ]

It's so inexpensive to get into photography as so many entry level cameras with little usage , such as the A290 are sneered at as ' beginners ' , unlike the better regarded mid range versions .
My A390 with standard zoom and Tamron [ ex Jesops deal ] was £100 mint - only 'cos I could do with the 'waist level ' screen .
OK , I have other cameras , but £100 as a start up seems pretty inexpensive to me .
I buy all my cameras on close out or rejects - which are simply an indulgence to my analogue preferences - I don't need them other than low light shots.

Is there some sort of snobbery here ? It annoys me that we need all the encouragement we can find to drag the new generations away from one size fits no one smart 'phones which are trounced by any kit zoom .

Regards
dee
04-07-2019, 06:58 AM - 1 Like   #4578
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deeslexia Quote
Is there some sort of snobbery here ?
Snobby Pentax users? That seems an oxymoron to me.
04-07-2019, 10:32 AM - 7 Likes   #4579

Photos: Albums
North York Railway but no trains that day

One of the first shots with my newly acquired K10D with a 28-80 Pentax AF

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
04-07-2019, 11:01 AM - 6 Likes   #4580
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome, @deeslexia and @GordonK

Most of us here enjoy using our "vintage and obsolete" (and affordable) gear. Welcome to the Club.

With the F35-70, which has seen a lot of use this Spring:

04-07-2019, 11:56 AM - 2 Likes   #4581
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GordonK Quote
One of the first shots with my newly acquired K10D with a 28-80 Pentax AF
If you look at my shots in this thread, you'll see that the vast majority were taken with the same lens. If you know what you're doing, you can get some pretty good shots with this lens, in spite of its poor reputation!
04-08-2019, 12:46 AM - 1 Like   #4582
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Any lens Pentax has ever made is capable of getting excellent results on any camera body Pentax has ever made, unless you're trying to do something with it that it was never designed to do in the first place. All those threads where people moan about things like autofocus and dynamic range are really just people expressing a futile wish for their camera gear to compensate for their own ineptitude.

04-08-2019, 01:12 AM   #4583
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Any lens Pentax has ever made is capable of getting excellent results on any camera body Pentax has ever made, unless you're trying to do something with it that it was never designed to do in the first place. All those threads where people moan about things like autofocus and dynamic range are really just people expressing a futile wish for their camera gear to compensate for their own ineptitude.
That is very well stated, Dave. Some people might not agree but you have my 100% agreement. I have found that with dedication I often get good results from lenses that others malign and lenses that do not get good reviews.
04-08-2019, 01:22 AM   #4584
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Any lens Pentax has ever made is capable of getting excellent results on any camera body Pentax has ever made, unless you're trying to do something with it that it was never designed to do in the first place.
Hear, hear!

I confess I'm rather fond of the humble non-SMC F28-80/3.5-4.5. I have a couple of copies that I've picked up in job lots, and one of them is really quite decent. OK, it's not going to knock the D FA24-70/2.8 of its perch, but used sensibly - i.e. stopped down a little - it's a perfectly good lens for general shooting and renders pleasantly. Works very nicely on the GX-10 / K10D, although the gearing of the lens' AF mechanism coupled with the hard stop can be vicious
04-08-2019, 01:36 AM - 6 Likes   #4585
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had not used my Tamron SP 10-24mm for a while and I wanted to check that it was still focusing OK. I put it on the K10D and went for stroll. OK, I admit that this is probably not the normal subject for an ultra wide but it sure proved that I don't have to worry about its ability to focus. There's even a little bee to be seen if you look carefully. Processed in PS CC with NO sharpening.

[/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/TjFHMm]_IGP1777_PSCC[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/rayallen/]Ray Allen[/url], on Flickr" target="_blank">
04-08-2019, 04:06 AM   #4586

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
F35-70 on K10D:
I like That One Alot Paul
04-08-2019, 06:00 AM   #4587
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Obviously, I agree completely, Dave. The trick is always to learn your equipment and to shoot within its limits!
04-08-2019, 07:58 AM   #4588
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSteele Quote
I like That One Alot Paul
Thanks! Early Spring can be magical
04-08-2019, 09:35 AM - 3 Likes   #4589
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's raining and not ****ing in Montana in April! The B&W shot is what it really feels like. K10D and A 20mm f/2.8.

04-09-2019, 12:58 AM   #4590
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
It's raining and not ****ing in Montana in April! The B&W shot is what it really feels like. K10D and A 20mm f/2.8.
Great to have you back after your surgery, Steve.