Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2019, 04:27 PM   #4636
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by subsea Quote
Very nice shots, Ray. I can tell you from personal experience that the same thing (stopping, that is!) happens to full size sailboats. Been there, done that, racing Tornado catamarans and experimental hydrofoil sailboats on Great South Bay, off the south shore of Long Island. The bay is infested with eel grass and, unfortunately, there is no such thing as a "rescue boat" during a race, so it becomes time to go for a swim!
Thanks, subsea. I had not thought about that with full size boats but I can see that it could happen. I guess that "going for a swim" is mainly a summer activity or do you wear a wetsuit during winter?

05-10-2019, 05:02 PM   #4637
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi Subsea
Maybe you should up your subs at the yacht club to finance a rescue boat on race days. Should not be too much with all classes contributing.
Just a thought

Dave
05-10-2019, 06:08 PM - 1 Like   #4638
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
Thanks, subsea. I had not thought about that with full size boats but I can see that it could happen. I guess that "going for a swim" is mainly a summer activity or do you wear a wetsuit during winter?
Ray,

Actually, you’re correct. We routinely wore wetsuits for our cold water sailing. The only good part of it was that the eel grass would die off when the water got cold, so the wet suits were only needed to protect against the normal splashes involved in the type of sailing we were doing!

I’ve been racing over a Thanksgiving weekend when the water temperature was 38F and the wind was blowing at 30 knots+. Without wetsuits, hypothermia would have been a certainty!

Edit: I dug out a couple of individual frames from movies (taken in 1975) of two of the sailboats we were testing in cold weather, obviously wearing wetsuits! These should give you some idea of why we needed to wear them, even without going for a swim. The second picture, by the way, is of an Aussie c-class catamaran (named Red Roo) that we modified by adding a hydrofoil to improve it's stability at high speed.
Attached Images

Last edited by subsea; 05-13-2019 at 11:59 AM.
05-11-2019, 01:00 AM - 1 Like   #4639
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
G'day Dave, I am flattered to know that my images might help with your lens buying decisions. From memory I bought that lens in 2008 for AU$230 and from a quick search you can still get them for that price or cheaper. I saw one on a UK eBay unfinished auction for £67 pounds. Maybe that's the one you are looking at. As you well know, at 300mm it becomes 450mm on APS-C and that would be a useful focal length at an air show.

Thanks Ray. I liked your boat photos even more looking at them full screen on Flickr. In a couple of them you could have almost convinced me that I was looking at a full-size boat. Great stuff.

The ebay auction that I'd entered was cancelled by the seller, which seems to be happening quite often recently when I'm the only bidder at a low price in an auction that's soon to end. In this case the seller had mentioned that the lens only worked in manual focus (which is an advantage in my book), and I was the only bidder at £10 plus postage. I guess the reason the lens was suddenly withdrawn as "no longer available" is that the seller didn't want it to go so cheap.

I hate paying the full market price for used gear, and nearly always buy faulty stuff at a knock-down that I know I can fix myself or use as-is.

05-11-2019, 07:37 AM - 3 Likes   #4640

Following on from the discussion about the K10D being a slouch after dark - thought Id try the challenge.

Took it to a night game with some slow tele lenses, and locked the ISO to 100-200 once I got in the ground ... this should be fun

Flickery LCD panel that wont photograph properly on a CMOS phone sensor. CCD for the win !

ISO 1600 for that pushed Tri-X look

Funny incident at the gate though - you are not allowed to take "pro" cameras into the grounds actually. Didnt know that. The security guys on the gate looked at the K10D with great suspicion .. and I dont blame them, it looks like something out of a movie set, and weighs about as much with the battery grip on there.

"Hey - its only a 12 year old camera, with a 10mpix CCD !". The older gentleman examining my gear maybe knew a couple of things about Pentax cameras, because he wasnt fazed at all. He knew a good camera when he saw one. "More interested in the lenses mate, what have you got on there".

Mounted as it was with the kit 18-55mm F3.5, albeit with typically monster sized pentax lens hood. He had a look. "Ah - 55mm, no worries mate, that will be fine". Success !

We are in !

The stock Pentax 18-55 held up pretty well, and there was enough light to keep the shutter speed at 1/50 or better for most of it. Nice and crisp on the wide angle.

I tried out my lovely metal 35-70mm A series film lens - looked beautiful through the viewfinder, but all the A series shots really missed the mark. Such a shame really, will have to keep that one for my SuperProgram, but it doesnt sit well with the digital sensor

Time to pull out the battered Sigma 50-200 that I scored off ebay as part of a dead camera deal. Its not the best lens out there, but for $10 bundled with a sigma 18-50 and a dead K100d - its actually pretty good at the long end. Like, good enough to get some near-keepers.

That Sigma isnt bad at all. Here is a shot from 60m distance, at 1/10th shutter speed, 200mm focal length. AF nailed it good. You dont need a $5000 camera to get a shot in.

Swapping back to the Pentax 18-55, really happy with the way this one held up. Cant see the point selling it when I upgrade to * glass, as its quite a good walkaround lens.

Loving the K10D still - its a challenge, its a handful, but it just works !

Its a pro !

05-11-2019, 07:56 AM   #4641
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by steveoc64 Quote
Following on from the discussion about the K10D being a slouch after dark - thought Id try the challenge. Took it to a night game with some slow tele lenses, and locked the ISO to 100-200 once I got in the ground ... this should be fun

The photos look great to me, particularly the graveyard shot and the first of the stadium shots with the smoky air. For many of us, it's exactly because the K10D offers a unique set of challenges in exchange for the unique look of its photos that we love it.
05-11-2019, 09:07 AM   #4642

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
The photos look great to me, particularly the graveyard shot and the first of the stadium shots with the smoky air. For many of us, it's exactly because the K10D offers a unique set of challenges in exchange for the unique look of its photos that we love it.
Thanks DD.

Other benefits I can think of, that remind me that its worth hanging on to:

- Im guessing that some good DA * glass will make thing really sing.
- The battery life is awesome.
- 10mpix makes it quicker and easier on the computer to post process, store images, upload full resolution backups to the cloud etc.
- Smaller resolution means more images per memory card.

Definately a keeper this one.

05-11-2019, 10:00 AM - 3 Likes   #4643
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Definately a keeper this one.
Nice work with the "pro" K10D and kit lens!

Jeannie meditating at the pond - F35-70 on K10D:
05-11-2019, 03:55 PM   #4644
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Hey - its only a 12 year old camera, with a 10mpix CCD !". The older gentleman examining my gear maybe knew a couple of things about Pentax cameras, because he wasn't fazed at all. He knew a good camera when he saw one. "More interested in the lenses mate, what have you got on there".

Mounted as it was with the kit 18-55mm F3.5, albeit with typically monster sized pentax lens hood. He had a look. "Ah - 55mm, no worries mate, that will be fine". Success !

Loving the K10D still - its a challenge, its a handful, but it just works !

Its a pro !
Very impressive images. You accepted the challenge and you succeeded. It must have been pleasing to get such good images under those conditions. I think that you did very well.
I like the story of the incident at the gate. That went well too. And after that you had a great evening. Well done.
05-11-2019, 11:19 PM - 11 Likes   #4645
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A low pressure system off the coast today was causing large swells and this rock, affectionately known as Splashy, was working well at the Skillion at Terrigal. K10D and Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.0 DC Macro HSM,

[/URL]
05-12-2019, 06:31 PM - 11 Likes   #4646
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sunset Auto Takumar 35mm 2.3

Was shooting film ran out on my 645 and ran and got the 10d and this gem of a Lens and I'LL let the picture say thew rest.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
05-12-2019, 09:32 PM - 3 Likes   #4647
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dogwalker: F35-70 on K10D:
05-18-2019, 04:41 PM - 2 Likes   #4648
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A leftover from last Fall - F35-80:
05-19-2019, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #4649
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A low pressure system off the coast today was causing large swells and this rock, affectionately known as Splashy, was working well at the Skillion at Terrigal. K10D and Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.0 DC Macro HSM
QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
Was shooting film ran out on my 645 and ran and got the 10d and this gem of a Lens and I'LL let the picture say thew rest.
Lovely light in both of your images. The K10D can still cut the mustard.
05-20-2019, 01:55 PM - 8 Likes   #4650
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Towering hibiscus with the DA18-55 on K10D: