Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2019, 11:11 AM - 6 Likes   #4816
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
It is my pleasure to be of assistance to you, Dave. It is in the K10D manual but it doesn't actually scream out at you. I have read that manual time and time again and I eventually found it. I can see you making great use of that "feechur".
Ah I did not know that either. Thank you Ray!

I don't think I posted this one before... if I have, forgive me! This is the Craigs Optics (Cosina) 60-300mm f/4-5.6 manual focus lens. By the look of the out of focus highlights, it's stopped to f8 which I do quite a bit with it, and I would guess it's at around 200mm.

09-04-2019, 02:48 PM   #4817
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Ah I did not know that either. Thank you Ray!

I don't think I posted this one before... if I have, forgive me! This is the Craigs Optics (Cosina) 60-300mm f/4-5.6 manual focus lens. By the look of the out of focus highlights, it's stopped to f8 which I do quite a bit with it, and I would guess it's at around 200mm.

Again, it is my pleasure, CR. I hope that it helps you.

That is a beautiful lily. That lens is working well for you.

---------- Post added 05-09-19 at 07:57 AM ----------

For anyone who is wondering where the OK button feature is mentioned in the K10D manual, it is on page 27 in the Memo section. And it reads:

When set to a mode other than Sensitivity Priority Mode/Shutter & Aperture
Priority Mode, press the OK button to display the ISO sensitivity in 14.

The number 14 refers to the position in the Viewfinder display but the ISO also shows in the LCD panel which is much easier to see.

This just goes to prove that it is useful to read the Memo sections. But I do think that this little gem could have been made more prominent.

Last edited by rayallen; 09-04-2019 at 02:59 PM.
09-04-2019, 02:57 PM - 1 Like   #4818
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
Of course, I am sure that the GX-10 is not identical to the K10D....in AV and TV modes I have customised the front wheel to ISO but in P and M modes if you press the OK button that puts you into ISO mode which can be changed by turning the front wheel. Does that work for you, Dave? Is that what you were looking for?
I'll add my thanks too, Ray - this is an excellent feature I wasn't aware of either!

I feel like my GX-10s have received an upgrade (even though the feature was there all the time )...
09-04-2019, 03:04 PM - 1 Like   #4819
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'll add my thanks too, Ray - this is an excellent feature I wasn't aware of either!

I feel like my GX-10s have received an upgrade (even though the feature was there all the time )...
That's great, Mike. I've known about it for quite a while but did not know that others didn't.
This is what forums are all about - The sharing of knowledge.

09-04-2019, 05:06 PM - 1 Like   #4820
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A classic example of the designers/developers thinking the end user can read their minds when new tech comes out.
09-04-2019, 09:57 PM - 1 Like   #4821
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great info, everyone. I guess I've never had a need for a dedicated iso wheel or button (yet). I tend to use more recent AF lenses using auto-iso, or Takumars using Av mode. Still...useful information!

Taken about a month ago at Harbor Village in Ventura with the DA18-135:
09-05-2019, 12:58 AM - 2 Likes   #4822
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
A classic example of the designers/developers thinking the end user can read their minds when new tech comes out.
I think they expected me to read the manual, which - to be fair - isn't unreasonable

09-05-2019, 01:12 AM - 2 Likes   #4823
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I think they expected me to read the manual, which - to be fair - isn't unreasonable
But reading the manual would mean admitting that I'm not universally knowledgeable about photography and might still have something to learn.

(I'm reminded of something a friend said to me way back when seatbelts were made mandatory in NY state: He refused to wear a seatbelt because it meant accepting the possibility that he wasn't a supremely talented driver and might crash.)
09-05-2019, 01:17 AM - 2 Likes   #4824
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
But reading the manual would mean admitting that I'm not universally knowledgeable about photography and might still have something to learn.

(I'm reminded of something a friend said to me way back when seatbelts were made mandatory in NY state: He refused to wear a seatbelt because it meant accepting the possibility that he wasn't a supremely talented driver and might crash.)
Ha ha

Regarding the K10D and GX-10 (and, indeed, earlier models), one of the things I like most - having started with later cameras from the K-7 onwards - is that I was able to navigate the simple menus and understand all modes and features of the camera without actually having to read the manual...

... All features except the quick access to ISO via the OK button, that is
09-05-2019, 01:26 AM - 1 Like   #4825
dbs
Pentaxian

Read yes

But write it in a manner that is easier to comprehend.
On this thread only a couple of posters even knew how to change the iso
It is mentioned in the manual yes ...but

Dave
09-05-2019, 02:04 AM - 1 Like   #4826
Pentaxian

Read yes

But write it in a manner that is easier to comprehend.
On this thread only a couple of posters even knew how to change the iso
It is mentioned in the manual yes ...but

Dave
Yes, exactly! Every manual I've ever read -- not just camera manuals but every single manual about everything -- has been next to useless as a how-to-use-it guide. I don't know what they teach technical writers in technical writer school, but it sure as heck doesn't seem to be how to describe procedures in straightforward and coherent terms.

Here's an example: I've just loaded my washing machine with laundry. It has two different drawers for detergent and one for conditioner, but according to the manual only one of the detergent drawers is actually used for any of the programs. And the one that's used is drawer 2. So what the heck is drawer 1 even for? On that question, the manual is infuriatingly silent.

So in the true Pentaxian spirit of inquiry, I've just put detergent in both drawers. Things could soon be getting very sudsy.
09-05-2019, 02:18 AM   #4827
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Yes, exactly! Every manual I've ever read -- not just camera manuals but every single manual about everything -- has been next to useless as a how-to-use-it guide. I don't know what they teach technical writers in technical writer school, but it sure as heck doesn't seem to be how to describe procedures in straightforward and coherent terms.

Here's an example: I've just loaded my washing machine with laundry. It has two different drawers for detergent and one for conditioner, but according to the manual only one of the detergent drawers is actually used for any of the programs. And the one that's used is drawer 2. So what the heck is drawer 1 even for? On that question, the manual is infuriatingly silent.

So in the true Pentaxian spirit of inquiry, I've just put detergent in both drawers. Things could soon be getting very sudsy.
Hi Dave

You are using a wr lens with the camera whilst being washed ?

Dave
09-05-2019, 02:42 AM   #4828
Pentaxian

Hi Dave

You are using a wr lens with the camera whilst being washed ?

Dave

Naah, according to the manual putting the camera through the washing machine might damage it. So I just leave it on the roof while I'm driving through the car wash instead.
09-05-2019, 06:11 AM   #4829
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I hesitate to suggest this, but I think the writers of technical manuals expect readers to be capable of reading between the lines and to use their common sense. Unfortunately, I think the space between the lines in the manuals is too small to hold any useful information and they don't use the common definition of common. It's kind of like "it depends on what the definition of "is" is!
09-05-2019, 09:51 AM - 2 Likes   #4830
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd reread the manual, too, but my brain is full.