Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12503 Likes Search this Thread
09-12-2019, 07:37 AM - 3 Likes   #4846
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
RC model boat club sail day on the lake. K10D + Tamron AF 70-300mm F4-5.6 Tele-Macro 1:2 LD Di.

Ray, you make this "outdated" equipment(*) (K10D, Tamron 70-300) truly sing!

(*)Of course there is no such thing as outdated equipment. It's either good or it isn't, it either works or it doesn't. The fact that one can say it's outdated and people take it as fact, is just a sign that the marketing departments of the camera manufacturers are doing their job properly...

09-12-2019, 11:37 AM - 3 Likes   #4847
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
(*)Of course there is no such thing as outdated equipment. It's either good or it isn't, it either works or it doesn't. The fact that one can say it's outdated and people take it as fact, is just a sign that the marketing departments of the camera manufacturers are doing their job properly...

Absolutely. The idea that a camera can go from being the latest greatest thing one day to an obsolete relic the next day is absurd. Heck, it's taken me 55 years to get to be the obsolete relic that I am now.
09-12-2019, 12:58 PM - 2 Likes   #4848
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Absolutely. The idea that a camera can go from being the latest greatest thing one day to an obsolete relic the next day is absurd. Heck, it's taken me 55 years to get to be the obsolete relic that I am now.
I think your marketing department needs a do-over....

ok maybe that's not it, either...
09-12-2019, 03:04 PM   #4849
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you for your kind words, CR. I have two other DSLRs (they are not Pentax!) that are even older than the K10D and I just love the challenge of producing good images from them too. I intend to keep using them all until they die.
It is, of course, my fervent hope that my K10D never dies. I recently had a look at the K10Ds available on eBay and for some of the really nice condition ones they were asking insane prices.

09-13-2019, 04:21 PM - 7 Likes   #4850
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I took this one 8 years ago but could never get it to work for me. Tonight I took a radical approach, using a selective blur to highlight the "sweet", and adding an aggressive vignette.

Havana, Cuba.

09-13-2019, 05:34 PM   #4851
Veteran Member

I wholeheartedly agree. Some of the best pics I've taken are with my old Oly E1. People look at it as a paperweight, only 5mp and outdated. Same as the K10.
09-13-2019, 10:39 PM - 1 Like   #4852
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Clouds over the soccer field...DA18-55:

09-13-2019, 11:46 PM   #4853
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I took this one 8 years ago but could never get it to work for me. Tonight I took a radical approach, using a selective blur to highlight the "sweet", and adding an aggressive vignette.

Havana, Cuba.
Very creative. And it works (for me!).
09-14-2019, 08:52 AM - 2 Likes   #4854
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Digging through some backlog of unprocessed photos lately. This is from my days as a longhaul truck driver. I went down to Calexico, California several times to pick up a load of airplane insulation blankets that are manufactured in Mexicali, Mexico by a contractor for Boeing. The load was light, even though it was a full truckload, but it always sucked because I had to wait until the truck came up from Mexico, then once it arrived at the freight yard in Calexico I had to drop my trailer in the street, go fetch the Mexican trailer and back it up to my trailer and "cross dock" the load by hand. Then I was expected to deliver in Seattle the next day, a physically impossible thing to do legally.

Then there was the US Customs and Border Patrol checkpoints like this one where they funnel all traffic into a point where they stop every vehicle and ask a few questions, and pull suspected vehicles over for a closer look. I never got the closer look at any of these checkpoints, but it was annoying to have to stop, and be subjected to the scrutiny and be suspected of doing something like smuggling people or drugs.

Pentax K10D, SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR
09-14-2019, 01:52 PM - 5 Likes   #4855
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Another from the vault.

As a long haul truck driver I was always wary of the Revenue Rangers. When I found myself stuck in traffic behind this one I was able to relax a bit, as it was "out of service", probably on a test drive after repairs or maintenance, or being ferried from one precinct to another by a non law enforcement officer type.

{apoligies for changing out the photo, I posted the first one by mistake, and it was shot with my K5IIs }

Last edited by Racer X 69; 09-15-2019 at 05:38 AM.
09-14-2019, 02:15 PM   #4856
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Another from the vault.

Nice and sharp!

I found the DA 18-55mm a nice 20-50mm lens. I had the DA AL II non-WR that came with the K20D. I sold it with the K20D so I never got to use it with the K10D. Maybe I should look into one, since I don't have any WR lenses and I have two WR bodies (K10D and K-50)...
09-15-2019, 05:33 AM   #4857
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice and sharp!

I found the DA 18-55mm a nice 20-50mm lens. I had the DA AL II non-WR that came with the K20D. I sold it with the K20D so I never got to use it with the K10D. Maybe I should look into one, since I don't have any WR lenses and I have two WR bodies (K10D and K-50)...
Thanks for the comment. It is a very good lens, to be sure.

But I feel bad because I placed the wrong photo in that post. It was shot with my K5IIs. I noticed my error as I was making the post, and was going to swap out another but must have missed it.

I have changed it out now.

09-15-2019, 06:23 PM - 11 Likes   #4858
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

US287 between Fort Collins, Colorado and Laramie, Wyoming, probably still in Colorado.

K10D, SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR
09-15-2019, 07:30 PM - 4 Likes   #4859
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

US287 between Fort Collins, Colorado and Laramie, Wyoming, probably still in Colorado.
Nice. I find the old kit lens pairs nicely with the K10D.

Me and my K10D at the Coppell TX carshow last year. DA16-45:

09-15-2019, 07:49 PM - 1 Like   #4860
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K10D, SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR
Oh yeah, that is definitely a K10D shot! Beautiful colours and saturation from the good old kit lens. Great combo, Racer.